Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this family court judge unfit?

Re: Is this family court judge unfit?

I was spanked as a kid and frankly I think it helped instill some discipline. It sure made me think twice about acting up. I'm wholly in favor of parents being able to use corporal punishment and I find it interesting that many kids who have been subjected to it have turned out terrific, and in fact are raising their kids in a stable, disciplined home.

Based on what I saw in this video: I'm not disturbed by the punishment as much as perhaps the extent or reported length of the punishment. I think long-lasting punishment can cross a fine line into abuse. I'd be more worried about the extent than the punishment itself.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    He might of seemed a little over the top but in todays day and age when poor behavior is ignored by parents it is kinda nice to see a parent correct a child as opposed to ignoring it and flipping through the channels.
    A little over the top?
    The guy is swinging for the fences, whipping her like a mule.

I did not find that "Nice to see".
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My parents didn't hit me. I don't hit my kids. I don't want my kids hitting my grandkids when they have them.
    There are other forms of correcting behaviour.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    A little over the top?
    The guy is swinging for the fences, whipping her like a mule.

I did not find that "Nice to see".
    Again, I don't necessarily condone what the judge did especially with the belt. At the same time I see the other side of this issue where to many parents now a days would ignore or make excuses for the wrong doing of a child. IMO what the parents do by ignoring or excusing a childs poor behavior is also a form of child abuse.

I would have been more appalled at seeing a video where the kid gets caught stealing, the parent lights up a cig, tells them no to do it again and asks what is for dinner. To many parents now a days are negligent in their parenting and while this judge did go over top it is no worse than a parent ignoring or condoning a childs behavior which is very much another form of child abuse.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Again, I don't necessarily condone what the judge did especially with the belt. At the same time I see the other side of this issue where to many parents now a days would ignore or make excuses for the wrong doing of a child. IMO what the parents do by ignoring or excusing a childs poor behavior is also a form of child abuse.

I would have been more appalled at seeing a video where the kid gets caught stealing, the parent lights up a cig, tells them no to do it again and asks what is for dinner. To many parents now a days are negligent in their parenting and while this judge did go over top it is no worse than a parent ignoring or condoning a childs behavior which is very much another form of child abuse.
    That's not child abuse. That's just bad parenting. Yes, they're both bad. Doesn't mean that they're the same though. There is a difference.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

In this case, allowing the daughter to play the video game was the lesser evil.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My parents didn't hit me. I don't hit my kids. I don't want my kids hitting my grandkids when they have them.
    +1
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That's not child abuse. That's just bad parenting. Yes, they're both bad. Doesn't mean that they're the same though. There is a difference.
    Other than the belt being used I really had no problem with what the judge did. If you want to say using the belt was abuse then I may be inclined to go along with that but for the most part what I saw was a parent frustrated with a child that simply would not respect or obey his discipline. You can take away things, talk to them, seeking counseling etc but there comes a time when dealing with children when the tactics the judge took are very necessary. Again, minus the belt.

The thing is there is more to this story than the video clip we just saw. The media is making this girl out to be little Shirley Temple who was being beaten by a big bad mean bully, when for all we know this child could have been a complete devil who was a constant thorn in her parents side. Besides lets look at this child as an adult who admittedly released this video out of spite because her parents took away her Mercedes and monthly allowance. Give me a break, this person does not give off the persona of a little innocent Shirley Temple but instead a vindictive devil.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 11-06-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I haven't heard where she admits to releasing it because of him taking away money or a Mercedes. That's been the PR spin that what was put out by his camp.

According to her, she released it because he was harassing her and her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    That's certainly your prerogative. It doesn't mean it's the right way or the only way to do it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Other than the belt being used I really had no problem with what the judge did. If you want to say using the belt was abuse then I may be inclined to go along with that but for the most part what I saw was a parent frustrated with a child that simply would not respect or obey his discipline. You can take away things, talk to them, seeking counseling etc but there comes a time when dealing with children when the tactics the judge took are very necessary. Again, minus the belt.

The thing is there is more to this story than the video clip we just saw. The media is making this girl out to be little Shirley Temple who was being beaten by a big bad mean bully, when for all we know this child could have been a complete devil who was a constant thorn in her parents side. Besides lets look at this child as an adult who admittedly released this video out of spite because her parents took away her Mercedes and monthly allowance. Give me a break, this person does not give off the persona of a little innocent Shirley Temple but instead a vindictive devil.
    The fact that he used a belt on the girl isn't the problem. The problem is that he used a belt to hit her for SEVERAL minutes AND he grabbed her by the throat at least once.

Parents have to deal with kids that get out of line all the time. And alot of parents will use spanking, a belt, etc when they feel they have to. But, I doubt many of those parents do it for more than a minute.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-06-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: brevity
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

They call me "chef"

When my sons were young and would misbehave I'd go to the local gym to let out my aggression. Better workout and cardio than whipping my kids and now my kids are members of the same gym too. This stuff has a knack for repeating itself.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

The hardest thing about parenting is not taking it personally when your kids act like dunderheads. This guy isn't teaching the girl a lesson, or punishing her, he's beating her. It's easy to hit a kid, but it's difficult to tell them they have lost their computer privileges for six months because it requires oversight and paying attention to enforce it.
    If you're going to set rules, you have to have a plan of what you'll do when the kids don't follow them. This guy has no plan other than to whip her.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The hardest thing about parenting is not taking it personally when your kids act like dunderheads. This guy isn't teaching the girl a lesson, or punishing her, he's beating her. It's easy to hit a kid, but it's difficult to tell them they have lost their computer privileges for six months because it requires oversight and paying attention to enforce it.
    If you're going to set rules, you have to have a plan of what you'll do when the kids don't follow them. This guy has no plan other than to whip her.
    Bingo!

I learned from a child psychologist many years ago that when it came to raising a child you not only have to set reasonable boundaries (dependent on age), but also insure the child understands them. And every child is obviously different. I was a strong-willed child. One of my kids is too. And when that child deliberately sets out to test your authority and "put that foot over the line to see if you mean business" then you have to act decisively. And that may include a spanking. I was an infrequent spanker. It depended on the situation (severity). But not beating the crap out of the kid and abusing them. And you never spanked a child in anger. You have to be in control of your emotions. And afterwards there has to be positive reinforcement involved with the child.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

My pops never spanked us in the heat of the moment, as he put it the idea of a spanking is to punish for the bad behavior (and thus give you a consequence to recall the next time you think about doing poor behavior again) not for him to get his dissatisfaction with you out of his system. The worse part of the spanking was waiting for the heat of the moment to die down, sitting thinking about the whoopin' you were about to receive. I had other family members who didn't use the same train of thought, who basically did what he said not to. Neither scarred me or caused me any pyschological or emotional issues. I whole heartedly believe in spanking, it's one of the few things that I have ever seen actually work no matter the kid or the issue (assuming it was done as my Dad prescribed it and as long as the punishment fit the crime). Some kids will rebel against the lesson (and you, as they should) if you have less than admirable intentions.

But make no mistake this isn't a spanking here this is abuse period. Had that judge saw that in his court he would have called it the same. I really would love to sit him down and speak to him, right after I got my dissatisfaction with him out of my system (via punk slapping him like the little man he is).
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?