Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Offseason

Re: Your Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Stubbs, Volquez & Masset for Wandy. Wandy replaces the Volquez/Willis spot in the rotation.

Get a vet for the pen. I'd like someone who could potentially close if our in house options bomb. However I would not overpay. Get the best arm we can for about $2M. The pen is Chapman, Lecure, Bray, new guy, Ondrusek, Arredondo, & Boxberger.
    This is nearly my plan. I'd try to go Stubbs/Volquez/Janish while tossing in somebody like Sulbaran if the team could get Masset to sign for $2 Million or less. If Masset goes to arb, then your plan is exactly my plan.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alonso and Volquez to Tampa for James Shields. I keep seeing the rumor around (SI had it this week). It make sense for both, the Reds get pitching, Rays get hitting and have a pitcher ready to step into Shields role.

Sign Carols Beltran 3 years/$35M. Pay a little more in the future for Beltran and put him in LF. FWIW he recently fired Scott Boras so IMO it makes in a little more singable for the Reds.

I try to work out a deal with Cordero, if he doesn't sign I go close by committee and look for a closer in June and July.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Alonso and Volquez to Tampa for James Shields. I keep seeing the rumor around (SI had it this week). It make sense for both, the Reds get pitching, Rays get hitting and have a pitcher ready to step into Shields role.

Sign Carols Beltran 3 years/$35M. Pay a little more in the future for Beltran and put him in LF. FWIW he recently fired Scott Boras so IMO it makes in a little more singable for the Reds.

I try to work out a deal with Cordero, if he doesn't sign I go close by committee and look for a closer in June and July.
    And apparently the Rays are "dead set against trading James Shields."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...blue-jays.html

Could be posturing but it could be real. We've beaten this topic TO DEATH, that's why I was hoping we could see some new creative ideas.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes.

I like Willingham but my concern is that he is a righty hitter. The Reds are so overloaded with righty bats. At least with Yonder, it adds a lefty.

Beltran is a Boras guy, can't see it happening unless the demand for him is weak. As a switch hitter he would be ideal, if it's possible.

Sizemore would be a big risk. He hasn't OPSd over .800 since 2008.

If Alonso brings a real good pitcher back, I'd be ok with acquiring one of these three for LF. I'd love it to be Beltran.

PS - if Francisco gets a lot of playing time at third, then the lefty/righty situation wouldn't be as much of a concern. Otherwise, the team is all right handed except for Votto and Bruce. All of Rolen, Cozart, Phillips, Hanigan, Mesoraco, Heisey, Stubbs, Sappelt, Cairo,Janish are right handed.
    I've brought this up before, and I know it's been answered, but forgive me for my senility in old age. But it doesn't seem like being too RH is as much of a problem as being too LH. There aren't ROOGY pitchers to the extent that there are LOOGY pitchers, and the split between Righty and lefties seems to be much smaller.

This might be just perception but it seems like when there's a large split on RH Batter vs. LH Pitcher, the split is that the guy crushes lefties.(Think Brandon Phillips.) But when the split is LH Pitcher vs LH Batter, it's because the LH pitcher holds lefty batters to such a miniscule average. (Think of every LOOGY since Tony Larussa invented them.

But the other side of those splits versus the Right Handed Pitcher seems to be more normal if that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Yes.

I like Willingham but my concern is that he is a righty hitter. The Reds are so overloaded with righty bats. At least with Yonder, it adds a lefty.

Beltran is a Boras guy, can't see it happening unless the demand for him is weak. As a switch hitter he would be ideal, if it's possible.
    http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=750...#ixzz1ckNYph9o
    Free-agent OF Carlos Beltran (Giants) has dumped Scott Boras as his agent and is now represented by Dan Lozano, according to baseball sources.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I've brought this up before, and I know it's been answered, but forgive me for my senility in old age. But it doesn't seem like being too RH is as much of a problem as being too LH. There aren't ROOGY pitchers to the extent that there are LOOGY pitchers, and the split between Righty and lefties seems to be much smaller.

This might be just perception but it seems like when there's a large split on RH Batter vs. LH Pitcher, the split is that the guy crushes lefties.(Think Brandon Phillips.) But when the split is LH Pitcher vs LH Batter, it's because the LH pitcher holds lefty batters to such a miniscule average. (Think of every LOOGY since Tony Larussa invented them.

But the other side of those splits versus the Right Handed Pitcher seems to be more normal if that makes sense.
    I take your point, except the reliance on too many RH hitters has hurt the Reds.

Reds OPS v. lefties in 2011 was .794, best in the NL.

Reds OPS v. righties in 2011 was .717, 8th in NL. Huge drop off.

I think your point is that you'd rather be overloaded with righty bats than lefty bats. I agree. But the best result it to have lefty/righty balance, not be overloaded either way.

Keep in mind that the Reds had all of two regulars who hit left handed last year, Votto and Bruce. (And Votto hits more like a righty hitter anyway, he destroys lefties even more than he destroys righties. But no complaint about Joey, I'd take 10 of him any day.)

Reds offense would be much more successful if they restored some lefty righty balance. An occasional good switch hitter would be nice. Reds haven't had one in years.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2011 at 10:39 AM.

More food for thought:

Both Dave Cameron and Jon Paul Morosi have suggested that the Giants could trade Tim Lincecum to free up money for a Reyes/Fielder/Pujols signing.

Could Redszoners finally get their wish (and their man) from the 2005 draft?

What would the Giants want? Could the Reds afford it?

Unfortunately they seem to have good young players at 1B (Belt) and C (Posey), so right off the bat there are challenges. Perhaps the Giants' brass may feel that they could justify Stubbs + Bailey + 1-2 top prospects + a marquee FA like Pujols/Fielder/Reyes in lieu of Lincecum? Interestingly, he's signed through 2013 so he'd fit perfectly with our "window" to compete.
    Go BLUE!!!

oops, double post
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-04-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I take your point, except the reliance on too many RH hitters has hurt the Reds.

Reds OPS v. lefties in 2011 was .794, best in the NL.

Reds OPS v. righties in 2011 was .717, 8th in NL. Huge drop off.

I think your point is that you'd rather be overloaded with righty bats than lefty bats. I agree. But the best result it to have lefty/righty balance, not be overloaded either way.

Keep in mind that the Reds had all of two regulars who hit left handed last year, Votto and Bruce. (And Votto hits more like a righty hitter anyway, he destroys lefties even more than he destroys righties. But no complaint about Joey, I'd take 10 of him any day.)

Reds offense would be much more successful if they restored some lefty righty balance. An occasional good switch hitter would be nice. Reds haven't had one in years.
    The Reds 2 top bats are lefty (maybe 3 if you count Alonso). If they are adding an impact middle of the order bat it probaby should be a righty (or switchy). Hopefully one that can fit between Votto and Bruce.

I've said this before, the issue with the lack of success against RHP isn't due to a lack of lefty bats, it is due to a lack of a righty bat that can hit RH pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

OPS against RHP is lousey and most pitchers are RH. I'd like to see them add guys who hit against the guys pitching most of the time. Can't have too many lefties IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    The Reds 2 top bats are lefty (maybe 3 if you count Alonso). If they are adding an impact middle of the order bat it probaby should be a righty (or switchy). Hopefully one that can fit between Votto and Bruce.

I've said this before, the issue with the lack of success against RHP isn't due to a lack of lefty bats, it is due to a lack of a righty bat that can hit RH pitchers.
    The whole discussion assumed Alonso would be traded. If Alonso is in left Reds aren't trading for a LF bat.

If Alonso starts and Reds have three LHH playing most days, that's sufficient.

But if Alonso goes, the new guy should be lefty. Two lefties in the lineup is insufficient.

The lack of hitting versus RHP is a likely outcome when a team has so few lefty bats as the Reds had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And furthermore if Hanley is untouchable they have lost their minds as his star has dimmed considerably.
    Which means they'd be selling at an all-time low. Their best bet is probably just to hang onto him and hope he rebounds.

That being said, I want no part of him being a Red. He's a cancer, plain and simple. The stunt he pulled with Fredi Gonzalez was ridiculous, and that's just the tip of the iceberg with him. He can stay a Marlin.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

The whole discussion assumed Alonso would be traded. If Alonso is in left Reds aren't trading for a LF bat.

If Alonso starts and Reds have three LHH playing most days, that's sufficient.

But if Alonso goes, the new guy should be lefty. Two lefties in the lineup is insufficient.

The lack of hitting versus RHP is a likely outcome when a team has so few lefty bats as the Reds had last year.
    The Brewers seemed to manage just fine.

In 2010 the OPS split was .772 vs RHP / 779 vs LHP. Do you think the drop off last year had more due to Laynce Nix or Scott Rolen?

Add another solid middle of the order bat - one that can hit RHPs as well as LHPs- I don't care which side of the plate he bats from.
    Last edited by puca; 11-05-2011 at 09:03 AM.

In 2010 the OPS split was .772 vs RHP / 779 vs LHP. Do you think the drop off last year had more due to Laynce Nix or Scott Rolen?

Add another solid middle of the order bat - one that can hit RHPs as well as LHPs- I don't care which side of the plate he bats from.
    I agree with the overall point, but the roster was and still is filled with lefty killers. Gomes is gone, but Stubbs, Phillips, Hanigan, Frazier etc all fit the same mold. Fact is, its pretty hard to find a guy like Votto who hits against everyone. If you have to pick a side to be successful against, why not go with the guy who is successful against 70% of the starting pitchers out there instead of loading up with more guys who struggle against those same guys?

IMO, Alonso is the most likely guy to add to the line-up that can be successful against both RH and LH and if he does end up being splitty, at least he'll be an asset most of the time.

The real problem continues to be that the Reds need a Solid starter with a track record more than they need anything. To get one will cost most of the payflex which probably precludes them from bringing in an expensive bat (and should make fooling with a reliever out of the question IMO). Alonso would be an affordable solution for the middle of the order. Of course adding a pitcher may cost Alonso too which might be a problem if the Reds have to spend too much of the payroll on the arm.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-05-2011 at 11:46 AM.

On second look maybe it was Laynce Nix. I checked Rolen's career RHP/LHP splits and they are downright Stubbesque. I didn't bother looking at his 2010 splits - but I doubt they were balanced.

Turn Off Ads?