Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Soid Marquez

Soid Marquez

www.redreporter.com and www.mlbtraderumors.com

Baseball America reports the Cincinnati Reds have signed RHP Soid Marquez. No figures were disclosed on how much the 16-year-old Venezuelan received as a signing bonus.

BA ranked Marquez (6-foot-2, 170 pounds) the 38th-best prospect available internationally this year, although some scouts consider him one of the top two or three pitchers in Latin America. The biggest knock on Marquez is an inconsistent fastball that has hit 89, but often ranges from 85 to 88. Marquez is projectable, however, and figures to reach the low 90s in time.

Marquez also has some effort to his delivery, although BA reports his motion is solid and the ball comes out of his hand well. Marquez's best present feature is one of the most advanced curves among all Latin American pitchers. He also throws a promising change and consistently throws strikes.
    Sounds like he could be interesting.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soid Marquez

Good to see them staying out there and signing some top-shelf kids in Latin America. Most of these kids do not deliver on their promise, but it's important to keep up a presence, because a few will hit big. I like that they're investing in arms.

VZ has been pretty good to the Reds lately.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Good to see them staying out there and signing some top-shelf kids in Latin America. Most of these kids do not deliver on their promise, but it's important to keep up a presence, because a few will hit big. I like that they're investing in arms.

VZ has been pretty good to the Reds lately.
    I view it as adding additional draft picks mainly 1 through 10 picks in the draft. This kid was probably a 5th through 10th round pick. As long as the money isn't too high them I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I view it as adding additional draft picks mainly 1 through 10 picks in the draft. This kid was probably a 5th through 10th round pick. As long as the money isn't too high them I'm all for it.
    Exactly.
    Go BLUE!!!

Perez got 800K plus, and Marquez was rated similarly. Assuming he got close to the same money Perez did, you're talking a 2nd/3rd round investment. Now, as 16-year-olds from another country, these kids are far riskier than 2nd/3rd round players in the U.S. draft. But that's the price of doing business overseas. You can't draw a 1-to-1 comparison between amateurs signed domestically and those signed internationally in terms of dollars invested. Different markets, and fans need to understand the Reds are going to take a bath on some of these signings. Again, it comes with the territory. What also comes with the territory are guys like Torreyes and HRod and Phipps and Cueto, who the Reds signed for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Perez got 800K plus, and Marquez was rated similarly. Assuming he got close to the same money Perez did, you're talking a 2nd/3rd round investment. Now, as 16-year-olds from another country, these kids are far riskier than 2nd/3rd round players in the U.S. draft. But that's the price of doing business overseas. You can't draw a 1-to-1 comparison between amateurs signed domestically and those signed internationally in terms of dollars invested. Different markets, and fans need to understand the Reds are going to take a bath on some of these signings. Again, it comes with the territory. What also comes with the territory are guys like Torreyes and HRod and Phipps and Cueto, who the Reds signed for peanuts.
    You can't compare the money because one is a FA that can negotiate with all teams while the drafted player can only negoiate with the team that drafted them. I think bellhead is right in thinking about these players like HSers drafted in the 5th-10th rounds in terms of talent.

Guys like Yorman and Duran probably equated to higher draft picks (1st-3rd rounders) when they were signed.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think bellhead is right in thinking about these players like HSers drafted in the 5th-10th rounds in terms of talent.
    Kind of an artificial notion, unless you're willing to compare all big money international signees and all HS draftees divided into, say, cohorts of 5 draft rounds, based on return on investment. In any case, the comparison should not be focused on talent -- the big money Latin kids have a lot of natural talent, but a longer way to go.

The fact is, the expensive Latin kids are bigger risks because they're younger and they cost more. Talent-wise, 2 years down the line some of them will be every bit the equal of American high schoolers drafted in the top 5 rounds, and a bunch will be fading fast.

My main point is this -- it's good to see the Reds staying active in Latin America. But we shouldn't expect that each of these "name signings" is a kid with a good chance to make it. High attrition rate.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 11-05-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?