Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Priorities

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Offseason Priorities

1. A high-OBP bat for the top of the lineup. I like Cozart, but he's a #7 type hitter that's miscast at the top of the batting order. Ideally, I'd also like this bat to be a high-BA bat. I know BA is an overrated statistic, but the Reds need more people who put the ball in play.

2. Depth for the starting rotation. This year was a fluke when it comes to health -- you can't count on your starting 5 to make every start for a season. If something had happened this year, the Reds had nobody waiting that was even below average.

Ideally, you'd want to acquire a quality arm and push Mike Leake to the minors or out the door.

3. Replacement CF. Could also go along with item #1. I think the team needs to move on from Drew Stubbs.

4. Solution in LF. I highly doubt Ryan Ludwick passes the opportunity to test the market for a multi-year deal, so I think it's a safe bet he'll decline his option. I'm not opposed to bringing him back if the dollars make sense, but if not Ludwick, the Reds need someone in LF who can provide some pop.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason Priorities

1. Justin Upton
    2. Jacoby Ellsbury

That's it. Cingrani and/or Corcino can provide SP depth next year. The Reds need more offense, especially near the top of the order. I'd take Ludwick back on the option but wouldn't pay much more.
    Go BLUE!!!

Get a life guys.

Can you really not wait the half an hour before the season is officially over.

It must be in vogue to correctly predict the demise of our team before the fact.

Enjoy the loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Get a life guys.

It must be in vogue to correctly predict the demise of our team before the fact.

Enjoy the loss!
    Really?
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, you'll hear from the guys who say the Reds don't have any more money to make improvements.

I disagree. It can be done.

Walt got creative and acquired Latos (under control for awhile). Maybe he can do some magic again.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I say 1 and 3 go together. A winning line-up can afford to have Stubbs or Cozart in it, especially if the defense is there. Having both of them in it makes things considerably harder. Whichever one you choose to replace (I'd vote for Stubbs, since some other team might be tricked into thinking he has residual trade value), you move heaven and earth to make him an OBP/top of the order bat.

Filling the hole in LF could also be spun as filling a hole at 3B, with Frazier moving to left. Just depending on what's available.

Meaningful discussion with both Latos and Bailey would be on my to-do list, too.

Rick

Get a life guys.

Enjoy the loss!
    No need for this really.

And the original post, in fairness, was made this morning. Well before the game had started.

I think 1 & 3 go hand in hand, they need an upgrade offensively in CF, which ideally is going to be a leadoff type guy.

I think Cingrani, Sulbaran, Corcino & (the other AA pitcher who's name escapes me put has recieved praise) offers the Reds the AAA depth they'll likely need next season, that they didn't have this season (good thing they didn't need it)

4) I think Ludwick comes back in some form or fashion, likely on a 2 year extension w/ a 3rd year option. I think he likes it here, he grew up a fan, he has a relationship w/ Walt, I think they'll work it out knowing the FA market isn't going to offer anything more significan than what the Reds will offer. People are not going to go out and get crazy w/ a 35 year old outfielder w/ a spotty track record.

I'll add 1 more priority:

They need a better bench. Cairo offered up little other than versatility and some form of veteran leadership. Valdez's role should be filled either by a guy w/ similar defense but better offensive skills or similar offensive skills but better defensively. It wouldn't bother me much if Valdez returns in the same role, but a small upgrade should be examined for the spot. I'm assuming that Rolen is going to retire, Frasier is going to take over at 3b, they'll need a decent bench bat to fill that spot next year, and ideally they need a left handed bat for the bench, if not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    No need for this really.

And the original post, in fairness, was made this morning. Well before the game had started.
    Go ahead guys and get started on tearing down the team.

Maybe tommorow we can get started on the 2014 once we declare that Walt has sat on his hands by not improving the team immediately after the loss!

Legit bat behind Votto. Ludwick is solid, but he doesn't force pitchers to pitch to Votto, and he's getting on in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    2. Depth for the starting rotation. This year was a fluke when it comes to health -- you can't count on your starting 5 to make every start for a season. If something had happened this year, the Reds had nobody waiting that was even below average.

Ideally, you'd want to acquire a quality arm and push Mike Leake to the minors or out the door.

Well, I guess this depends on Chapman. If he's your starter then your rotation is set

Go ahead guys and get started on tearing down the team.

Maybe tommorow we can get started on the 2014 once we declare that Walt has sat on his hands by not improving the team immediately after the loss!
    Now you've put yourself on the level that you were accusing others of being on. It's really unnecessary.

-The Insider-

I don't understand why people want a long-term center fielder when Billy will be ready by September at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Now you've put yourself on the level that you were accusing others of being on. It's really unnecessary.
    OMG it's always drama. Relax, we don't need another "get out the ruler" debates.

The Reds season just ended, I honestly care more about that then getting into whether I am perceived as having acted appropriately in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Legit bat behind Votto. Ludwick is solid, but he doesn't force pitchers to pitch to Votto, and he's getting on in years.
    Agree. As much as I like Ludwick, I'd be very wary of an extension beyond one year and he's really not ideal for the 4 slot even at his best.

Turn Off Ads?