Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Giants should trade Lincecum now

Morosi: Giants should trade Lincecum now

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/S...ade-ace-110311

Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez and Ryan Vogelsong are on pace to become free agents after the 2012 season; Lincecum is up the year after that. Meanwhile, an offense that scored the fewest runs in the National League is in need of major upgrades. Hoping that Buster Posey and Freddy Sanchez return at 100 percent doesn’t constitute an offseason plan.

So if the Giants wish to maximize their odds of returning to the World Series, they have two choices.

1. Spend big for Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes or at the very least Carlos Beltran.

2. Trade one of those prized starters for impact bats, because the day is fast approaching when the Giants won’t be able to afford them all.

And if the Giants blanch at the going rates in free agency, the most practical move might be to trade Mr. Two-Time Cy Young Award Winner himself.

So, here's the natural question for this forum. If the Giants are not able to land a big bat via free agency, should the Reds approach San Francisco about a swap involving Votto and Lincecum?

I love Joey Votto as a Red, but even I have to admit that the thought of Alonso at first with Lincecum on the mound sounds better to me than Votto at first with Edinson Volquez pitching.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Morosi: Giants should trade Lincecum now

Adding Lincecum would be nice, but taking Votto out of the lineup would kill this offense. No deal for me.

Lincecum is great but with his delivery he's always an injury risk, and besides... he's not under contract any longer than Votto is so there's no help there. If The Reds want to win, they need to build around Joey Votto. Not rebuild with out him. I'm sick of the "rebuilding" bill of goods we've been sold since GABP was initially conceived.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Adding Lincecum would be nice, but taking Votto out of the lineup would kill this offense. No deal for me.
    Whether someone agrees with that probably has alot to do with what they think of Alonso.
    Lincecum is great but with his delivery he's always an injury risk, and besides... he's not under contract any longer than Votto is so there's no help there. If The Reds want to win, they need to build around Joey Votto. Not rebuild with out him. I'm sick of the "rebuilding" bill of goods we've been sold since GABP was initially conceived.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Whether someone agrees with that probably has alot to do with what they think of Alonso.
    I like Alonso, but expecting him to fill Votto's shoes in his first full year or two just isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.
    Thing is, adding Lincecum doesn't help us there either. If we can't afford to keep Votto long-term, we sure can't afford to keep Lincecum long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

I like Alonso, but expecting him to fill Votto's shoes in his first full year or two just isn't going to happen.

Thing is, adding Lincecum doesn't help us there either. If we can't afford to keep Votto long-term, we sure can't afford to keep Lincecum long term.
    He wouldn't have to be as good as Votto for that trade to work for the Reds. Or to prevent the offense from suffering. I agree that Linc probably wouldn't be a long term Red either. But that kind of deal could help the Reds win in 2012-2013.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

All things being equal for 2012 and 2013, I'd take my chances with Lincecum and Alonso vs Votto and Alonso (on the bench). That said, Joey is the best of all those guys.

I heard Morosi on the radio yesterday; he makes John Fay look like Albert Einstein.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

No way there trading Lincecum, this is one reporter trying to get some people to read his website. However if the reds are going to use votto to get an elite young SP I would suggest Clayton Kershaw. Not sure if theres any chance that the dodgers would trade him but if they miss out on Pujols/Fielder and the new owner wants to make a splash adding Votto would certainly do that, and they could afford to sign him long term.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Until the Reds get a TOR starter, all the Votto's in the world aren't going to get this team to the World Series.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Until the Reds get a TOR starter, all the Votto's in the world aren't going to get this team to the World Series.
    Who was the TOR starter for the Texas Rangers?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Who was the TOR starter for the Texas Rangers?
    CJ Wilson
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

CJ Wilson
    I would argue that CJ Wilson is not a TOR starter, even if he is about to be paid like one.

I wonder if they would do Stubbs for Timmy?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

CJ Wilson
    Wilson really isn't significantly better than Cueto, so if Wilson is a TOR, then Cueto is close enough to being one that the Reds don't need one.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Wilson really isn't significantly better than Cueto, so if Wilson is a TOR, then Cueto is close enough to being one that the Reds don't need one.
    CJ Wilson brings you a lot more innings and he misses a significant number of more bats. He also pitches in the AL, where he doesn't get to face the pitcher. Wilson is a lot better than Cueto is when you look at it all together.

Turn Off Ads?