Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's the similarity to the OSU or any other scandal at any other school. Yes, what went on at PSU was far more heinous than what went on anywhere else. However the scandals are covered up because they don't want to throw a wrench in the money making machine.
    Yes, this is new water to tread.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's the similarity to the OSU or any other scandal at any other school. Yes, what went on at PSU was far more heinous than what went on anywhere else. However the scandals are covered up because they don't want to throw a wrench in the money making machine.
    That is an absolute fact. Good point.

“After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps.”
    What did Joe say? No one knows what Joe actually said. I don't particullarly care to make assumptions about stuff I don't know about.

Sandusky is in jail for the rest of his life, Paterno is dead, Curley and the rest of the characters are being tried in court. IMO the people that need to be punished are being punished. You shouldn't punish the current football players who had absolutley nothing to do with this situation. You shouldn't give PSU the death penailty because it would effect all the other student athletes at PSU.

I think when everything began to come out last October/November PSU acted in the proper way. The people who needed to be fired were fired. They hired a new football coach from outside the university. Kick PSU out of the B1G? Did Baylor get kicked out of the Big 12? Death Penality for something that happened 10 years ago and the proper have been punished? Punish the people who need to be punished, not the ones who are innocent.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What did Joe say? No one knows what Joe actually said. I don't particullarly care to make assumptions about stuff I don't know about.

Sandusky is in jail for the rest of his life, Paterno is dead, Curley and the rest of the characters are being tried in court. IMO the people that need to be punished are being punished. You shouldn't punish the current football players who had absolutley nothing to do with this situation. You shouldn't give PSU the death penailty because it would effect all the other student athletes at PSU.

I think when everything began to come out last October/November PSU acted in the proper way. The people who needed to be fired were fired. They hired a new football coach from outside the university. Kick PSU out of the B1G? Did Baylor get kicked out of the Big 12? Death Penality for something that happened 10 years ago and the proper have been punished? Punish the people who need to be punished, not the ones who are innocent.
    The school is going down. It is going to happen. Failing to report a crime like this can mean you no longer are eligible for national money (loans and scholarships) for students. It is just a matter of time before it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The school is going down. It is going to happen. Failing to report a crime like this can mean you no longer are eligible for national money (loans and scholarships) for students. It is just a matter of time before it starts.
    Yep, that alone will be the death knell for them. Hardly anyone can make it through college these days without having very generous parents, lots of federal aid, or lots of debt in student loans.

As an estimate, I'd say if PSU really does end up losing federal aid and loan priveleges they're looking at losing 60-70% of their student body, if not more. The place will be a shell of its former self, regardless of what the NCAA does or doesn't decide to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I wonder if you would feel so magnanimous if you had a son who was raped on the PSU campus after top school officials decided to ignore the monster.

PSU needs to suffer badly so this type of wanton disregard is never mimicked at another school.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I had never heard of this before:

http://highstrangeness.tv/articles/franklin.php

and I'm not saying its in any way connected, just something that was brought up on another board. IF, and I repeat IF it is shown that the rumors of a prostitution ring coming out of the 2nd mile are true, perhaps this provides some insight into how it would work? Again, I had never heard of this, perhaps its a real whacked out theory and proven false in many different cases, would be interested to hear more, obviously some pretty damning stuff charged by the author of the book.
    I bring this old post back up because of this:

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/2810206/posts

Which is an old report, but I just saw it elsewhere. I believe I read that JoePa recommended Spanier for the job perhaps the acussations of a prostitution ring running out of the 2nd mile program have a little more weight to them.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Which is an old report, but I just saw it elsewhere. I believe I read that JoePa recommended Spanier for the job perhaps the acussations of a prostitution ring running out of the 2nd mile program have a little more weight to them.
    I missed that earlier. I feel awfully sick right now having read it though.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I wonder if you would feel so magnanimous if you had a son who was raped on the PSU campus after top school officials decided to ignore the monster.

PSU needs to suffer badly so this type of wanton disregard is never mimicked at another school.
    I don't have a son so but I would imagine I would be irate if I had a son. I don't feel the need to make sweeping generalizations based upon information that I am assuming or information that I am trying to infer.

PSU needs to suffer badly. I guess we need to define who PSU actually is. Is PSU the janitor who sweeps the hallways on a nightly basis? Is PSU the student who is working two jobs in order to pay for their education? Is PSU the research department hoping to find a cure for the latest form of cancer? PSU does not need to nor deserve to suffer for this. The people involved in this atrocity need to suffer. Those people need to be held accountable for their actions. Those people need to be called onto the floor, taken to court, and be held accountable for their actions. Because the AD or school president decided to "hide" Sandusky doesn't mean the student or faculity, or other student athletes need to suffer. If your boss is a pedophile does that mean you should lose your job?

In society we want everyone punished. The idea isn't to punish the innocent its to punish the ones who are guilty of a crime. Sandusky was a monster and the people who looked the other way are being held accountable in the court of law. But the student body who is there to get an education or the student athletes who are currently enrolled in those respective athletics are innocent of any wrong doing and shouldn't be punished.

I don't have a son so but I would imagine I would be irate if I had a son. I don't feel the need to make sweeping generalizations based upon information that I am assuming or information that I am trying to infer.

PSU needs to suffer badly. I guess we need to define who PSU actually is. Is PSU the janitor who sweeps the hallways on a nightly basis? Is PSU the student who is working two jobs in order to pay for their education? Is PSU the research department hoping to find a cure for the latest form of cancer? PSU does not need to nor deserve to suffer for this. The people involved in this atrocity need to suffer. Those people need to be held accountable for their actions. Those people need to be called onto the floor, taken to court, and be held accountable for their actions. Because the AD or school president decided to "hide" Sandusky doesn't mean the student or faculity, or other student athletes need to suffer. If your boss is a pedophile does that mean you should lose your job?

In society we want everyone punished. The idea isn't to punish the innocent its to punish the ones who are guilty of a crime. Sandusky was a monster and the people who looked the other way are being held accountable in the court of law. But the student body who is there to get an education or the student athletes who are currently enrolled in those respective athletics are innocent of any wrong doing and shouldn't be punished.
    PSU is the institution of higher education in "Happy Valley", PA whose leadership, essentially all of the way up the chain of command to the top, performed in a way that essentially defines the culture of the institution and that culture is counter to what most would deem acceptable. Did the janitor or the third string catcher on the women's softball team have any reposnsibility in the coverup? No. But they did all benefit by it even if unbeknownst.

I think it will be extraordinary if Penn State gets kicked out of the big ten or faces penalties/sanctions effecting funding etc so I don't know if any of that will actually happen (is there precedence for that?). But, the institution deserves penalty.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think it will be extraordinary if Penn State gets kicked out of the big ten or faces penalties/sanctions effecting funding etc so I don't know if any of that will actually happen (is there precedence for that?). But, the institution deserves penalty.
    I agree and I'm not aware of any institution on the level of PSU that has had something like that happen to them. I would think if there's going to be a penalty, the NCAA will handle it and probably hit them with the "lack of institutional control" penalty.

I think the only way that there are more severe penalties given to PSU is if the victime and/or their families speak out often and loudly about how PSU shouldn't get off with just a slap on the wrist to the football program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

That's why you let the student athletes transfer without having to sit out. They won't be punished and they get to play somewhere else.

I think PSU needs to spend some time out of the big time sports school business and focus more on the institute of higher learning business. Really I think there are plenty of other schools that should do this too, but the administration's actions make a compelling argument for PSU being at the forefront in this trend.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

If anyone wants to see the Discovery special that never aired about it, below is the link and can be streamed in its entirety here

**Has graphic descriptions and NSFW language**
    Conspiracy of Silence - Highest Quality Version
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 07-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Apparently, they spoke in code in their emails about Sandusky. This certainly isn't getting any prettier.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...fffield-issues

The emails, dated February 26-28, 2001, show Spanier knew about the incident McQueary reported and said the university could be "vulnerable" for not reporting the incident, CNN reported.

"The only downside for us is if the message [to Sandusky] isn't 'heard' and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it," Spanier purportedly writes.

The alleged emails referred to Sandusky only as "the subject" and "the person." Children were called the "guests."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    If anyone wants to see the Discovery special that never aired about it, below is the link and can be streamed in its entirety here

**Has graphic descriptions and NSFW language**
    Conspiracy of Silence - Highest Quality Version
    This is disgusting to hear about but I hope it makes people safer from this in the future. Foster care is already an impossible beginning, but these people make it so much worse.

Turn Off Ads?