Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I think that maybe the focus should shift back to the thread topic.
    I agree
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I think that maybe the focus should shift back to the thread topic.
    Yep we may now resume ripping JoePa and Penn State throwing up any more evidence we find that furthers that cause.

Look Paterno and the whole crowd at Penn State did some horrible things and deserve all the heat they are getting. And keep it coming in all seriousness, it was awful what happened there.

But......when Joe Paterno is diagnosed with lung cancer that has a 5 year survival rate of 70 percent last weekend and his son announces that to the press, I don't know why Paterno needs to be knocked for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

But......when Joe Paterno is diagnosed with lung cancer that has a 5 year survival rate of 70 percent last weekend and his son announces that to the press, I don't know why Paterno needs to be knocked for that.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've got no issue with a remark like that, none whatsoever.

It's ironic timing for this to have happened, but I don't think it is JoePa trying for some sympathy (though the argument could be made that it will buy him sympathy regarding the PSU scandal, none gotten from me). This is newsworthy, be it today or one year ago so I can't knock him/them for announcing it.

At any age, any surgery is a huge risk, even of the "minor" or outpatient variety.
    Um, it's a well-known fact that the risks of surgery increase exponentially as a person ages. But don't facts get in the way of a good rant.

"
    We will never again have supreme confidence that everything we do is right, not after Vietnam and Kent State...but we can stop tearing ourselves apart. We shall act with good intentions, but at times we will be wrong. When we are, let us admit it and try to right the situation....
    Joe Paterno 1973

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7482/index.htm

PSU taps ex-FBI director Freeh for investigation

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Former FBI director Louis Freeh, tapped to lead Penn State's investigation into the child sex-abuse allegations against a former assistant football coach, said his inquiry will go as far back as 1975, a much longer period than a grand jury report issued earlier this month.

Freeh was named Monday to oversee the university board of trustees' internal investigation into the abuse allegations that ultimately led to the ouster of longtime football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier.

Freeh said his goal was to conduct a comprehensive, fair and quick review. His team of former FBI agents, federal prosecutors and others has already begun the process of reading the grand jury report and looking at records.

http://news.yahoo.com/psu-taps-ex-fb...152420920.html

So, Penn State's President runs a "sorry, we'll try to do better" ad during the game Saturday and he refers to "victims." I find that interesting to identify accusers as "victims" when there has been no trial or admission of guilt. How does that ad not poison the well for any fair trial to take place?

BTW, lest I get accused of "defending a pedophile," I am only pointing out that PSU, in its zeal to do damage control (impossible at this point), seems to have already established the guilt of the accused.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So, Penn State's President runs a "sorry, we'll try to do better" ad during the game Saturday and he refers to "victims." I find that interesting to identify accusers as "victims" when there has been no trial or admission of guilt. How does that ad not poison the well for any fair trial to take place?

BTW, lest I get accused of "defending a pedophile," I am only pointing out that PSU, in its zeal to do damage control (impossible at this point), seems to have already established the guilt of the accused.
    I don't think Penn State will be standing next to the Sandusky team claiming Sandusky and the boys were just snapping towels.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't think Penn State will be standing next to the Sandusky team claiming Sandusky and the boys were just snapping towels.
    Nor do I expect them to, I just am surprised that they are not using more careful legal language. Maybe I'm picking nits, I dunno.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Nor do I expect them to, I just am surprised that they are not using more careful legal language. Maybe I'm picking nits, I dunno.
    Just look at the Duke Case and the reaction there by the University. A story like this and any school is going to take it to the Nth degree to try and cover their butt... sometimes it backfires (like Duke) but I am not surprised by Penn State's actions they know there are lawsuits coming they're trying to shrink them a bit with "good will".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I'm sorry, I feel the timing seems like a sympathy grab. Besides, it's treatable lung cancer. It would be an entirely different thing if it was inoperable terminal brain cancer.
    Time will tell whether it's really treatable brain cancer. I have my doubts. I think it's kinda like Marvin Lewis saying AJ Green "will be fine" and a few yrs back Rich Braham just has a "bone bruise".

I think Joe Pa just doesn't want folks to worry about him, especially his team but he did want to get out in front of this story

I think we're going to hear a lot more like this.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ayer-treatment
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think we're going to hear a lot more like this.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ayer-treatment

Just more proof, if you needed anymore, that Paterno had the power to pursue anything or stop anything at Penn State. He was the University.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...-school/45267/

One of Jerry Sandusky's alleged molestation victims, now 17 years old, has left his high school after bullies blamed him for the firing of Penn State's football coach Joe Paterno. Profiles of the so-called "Victim 1" identify him as the first to come forward and accuse Jerry Sandusky of molesting him. He's credited with initiating an investigation that led Sandusky to be charged with 40 counts of abuse. Since then, revelations that higher ups at Penn State knew about allegations of sexual abuse have led to the removal of the school's president and their legendary football coach, Paterno. Now, Pennsylvania's Patriot-News reports that, faced with name-calling and verbal threats from classmates, he has left Central Mountain High School in the middle of his senior year.

Turn Off Ads?