Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
The reasoning was that "students reaction means that people will blame the victims. Why didn't they ask them about how to handle this?" The response was based on the reaction of the students, which was irrational, as if they are speaking for the way rational people view this. And rational people see this as a reasonable consequence.

So.........the victims are apparently considering the view of irrational people as the basis for "we don't want people blaming us for getting JoePa fired." This position is just so illogical that it blows my mind.
Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
In fairness, if you're a victim worried about being targeted for retribution, the rational people aren't the ones you're concerned about.
Valid point. But, not mine.

The views of the victims might not make any sense to you, traderumor. Should that mean that their opinions should be instantly dismissed though?

This isn't about what happens to the people that are being held responsible. This is about making sure that the victims know that they're important. That, even though people didn't care enough about them before, that those victims feel, that they KNOW, that people care about them now. And not just by going after the perpetrators. They just want the university to hear them out. That's all. Considering what happened before when noone paid attention to them I don't understand why people would want to ignore them now.

The university is trying to clean up a big mess, to put it VERY mildly. If the board of trustees aren't willing to talk to the people that were victimized by their own employees then it's just another mistake that they're making. It's part of their job. It's called accountability. They might not want to face the music but they're gonna have to do it sooner or later. Facing the victims is part of the process. It's not enough for the accused to face the victims in court. The board of trustees need to face them too. Do it now and it can make things easier. Do it later and it can make things harder and costlier.