Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

I want to point out something from the Grand Jury report. It says that Paterno went to Gary Schultz with the report of what McQueary told him. Schultz was the head of the campus police at the time. So technically, didn't Paterno report the crime to local law enforcement?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

When I read the report, it did say that Paterno went to Schultz but doesn't sound like he told him the extent of the "activity". Whether that was because McQueary *didn't* go into the details with Paterno like he did with the GJ, or because Paterno downplayed it himself I don't know.

Either way, this is a massive, massive cover up.....

I can see Penn getting lawsuit after lawsuit thrown against them by the victims also.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post

I can see Penn getting lawsuit after lawsuit thrown against them by the victims also.
    I agree, and I can't see how Penn State survives this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

That interview with Kim Jones was fantastic, a couple new things came out of that. For those who didn't listen to it, she talks about an incident as recently as 2007 where Sandusky showed up at a closed practice with a young boy. He was there like he was regularly just hanging out, watching practice, and bringing one of the kids. Paterno was there, McQueary was there, and Sandusky had a young boy with him and he was allowed to be there.

They also talk about how he was allowed to run an overnight football camp on ON THE PENN STATE CAMPUS as recently as 2009. WTF? How can anyone defend that?

Perhaps one of the more damning things she talks about is how Sandusky was volunteering as a coach at a local high school. One (or maybe more) parent learned that he was inappropriate with their son and went to the school about it. As Jones said, that school did exactly what they were supposed to and went to the authorities and that's why they had the grand jury and why this has finally been stopped.

If the people at Penn State would have done the same, it would have stopped years ago.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...111011aam.html

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Due to multiple threats made against Assistant Coach Mike McQueary, the University has decided it would be in the best interest of all for Assistant Coach McQueary not to be in attendance at Saturday's Nebraska game.
    I think the Board of Trustees are watching ESPN to listen to the anchors tell them what to do.

n/m

I think when all is said and done, and a lot of the victims come forward, Joe Paterno is going to see firsthand the number of boys victimized AFTER the 2002 incident and it will hit him all at once the effect of his inaction. If I can muster up any compassion for him, it will be at this time. It will not be pleasant and could very well wind up killing him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The reasoning was that "students reaction means that people will blame the victims. Why didn't they ask them about how to handle this?" The response was based on the reaction of the students, which was irrational, as if they are speaking for the way rational people view this. And rational people see this as a reasonable consequence.

So.........the victims are apparently considering the view of irrational people as the basis for "we don't want people blaming us for getting JoePa fired." This position is just so illogical that it blows my mind.
    In fairness, if you're a victim worried about being targeted for retribution, the rational people aren't the ones you're concerned about.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

McQueary happens to catch Sandusky in the act of sodomizing a ten year old. He goes from grad assistant to assistant coach just like that. At Penn State none the less. Color me skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Why does mcQueary still have a job? He should have been bounced out of there just as fast as they did JoeP. and he's lucky I'm not his mother or wife, because I'd have him by the throat demanding to know why he was such a coward that he walked away from that little boy without stopping it then and there. Run home and talk to daddy about it. What a man, that one!
    It could be that whistleblower laws protect McQueary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It could be that whistleblower laws protect McQueary.
    Since he technically didn't blow the whistle, only to Paterno, would those laws apply to him?

This from Rick Reily: "Victim One, according to the Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News, was often taken out of class by Sandusky to be further molested. Just taken out of school by somebody who wasn't his parent, with no questions asked until his mother finally called the principal and asked her to check into it. Later that day, the principal called back in tears. "You need to come down here right now." "

That is what led to the investigation and grand jury.

Amongst all the fury directed at Paterno, some heartfelt words from Joe Poz...

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/11/1...nd-of-paterno/

I know I have great difficulty trying to keep some balance on all this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This from Rick Reily: "Victim One, according to the Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News, was often taken out of class by Sandusky to be further molested. Just taken out of school by somebody who wasn't his parent, with no questions asked until his mother finally called the principal and asked her to check into it. Later that day, the principal called back in tears. "You need to come down here right now." "

That is what led to the investigation and grand jury.
    I can see a movie being made about all this.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

PSU is already losing recruits....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...-cites-scandal

This scandal could decimate their football program for years.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?