Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 992

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

  1. #196
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    ESPN is reporting that Paterno is out and won't be allowed to finish the season.
    Thank God. It happened a little later than I would have liked, but am glad that they got it right.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #197
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    This press conference is pathetic. These "journalist" are horrific.

  4. #198
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,037

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    I can't get over this. Imagine working with 2 employees in close promixity for an extended amount of time. Then one tells you he witnessed a sexual assault such as in this case committed by the other guy. And the 3 of you just continue on for years in a working relationship......what planet are these guys living on?

  5. #199
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    How different is this than the scandals which have rocked the Catholic Church over the years?

    Even the most ardent Catholics, a much higher calling than to be a Nittany Lion fan, call for the heads of the priests identified in public. And the higher ups are often accused of turning away or just transferring the culprit.

    I'll never understand how such corruption can take place in ANY organization.

    That is a great point and one I've been thinking about. You have to know that Paterno - who I believe is Catholic - had heard about the scandals that rocked the Church over the past few decades. You would think he would have learned something from that.

    I don't want to say Paterno was the only one culpable and the only one deserving of losing his job however he was the program. I don't believe that anything happened in that program or that affected that program that Paterno didn't know and/or approve of. And that's no different than any other program with a "legend" as a coach. These coaches are czars and have almost complete control over the athletic department. So if Joe Paterno didn't want Sandusky on campus - much less the athletic facilities - he wouldn't have been on campus. That is why he is more culpable than anyone else who failed to report these crimes.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #200
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    I can't think of another figure in the history of sports that has a more disgraced reputation right now than Jerry Sandusky.

    Not only did he do horrible things to young boys but his actions also helped bring down one of the greatest college football coaches of all time.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  7. #201
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,673

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    How the hell does the WR coach still have his job?
    Go Gators!

  8. #202
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    How the hell does the WR coach still have his job?
    Great question.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #203
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I can't think of another figure in the history of sports that has a more disgraced reputation right now than Jerry Sandusky.

    Not only did he do horrible things to young boys but his actions also helped bring down one of the greatest college football coaches of all time.
    I never thought I'd see another story crazier than the Baylor story a few years back. My oh my how wrong I was.

  10. #204
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That is a great point and one I've been thinking about. You have to know that Paterno - who I believe is Catholic - had heard about the scandals that rocked the Church over the past few decades. You would think he would have learned something from that.

    I don't want to say Paterno was the only one culpable and the only one deserving of losing his job however he was the program. I don't believe that anything happened in that program or that affected that program that Paterno didn't know and/or approve of. And that's no different than any other program with a "legend" as a coach. These coaches are czars and have almost complete control over the athletic department. So if Joe Paterno didn't want Sandusky on campus - much less the athletic facilities - he wouldn't have been on campus. That is why he is more culpable than anyone else who failed to report these crimes.
    I grew up Catholic and as I mentioned before the 3 individuals I knew that were busted for child molestation were all involved with sports through the Catholic church. Razor Shines who I used to coach may remember the one individual and trust me, it was no secret he was messing around with and trying to mess around with several of the kids. The guy used to have sleep overs at his house and pay kids to take sleeping pills. I could go into more details of other things that happened but this is the most PG version I can give. The amazing thing is the pastor of our parish knew all about the allegations and there were many, but he choose to ignore them. The other 2 individuals who were also busted and did jail time were also hardly a suprise to anyone. The common response among the many around them was it was time they got caught.

    Thats why I have little doubt Paterno didn't know about this stuff, he just choose to ignore it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  11. #205
    Member Stephenk29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    710

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This happened in the off season and had nothing to do with the football program. Joe Pa was no where near the facility when this happened. Again, he didn't try to keep this secret to save his buddy or anything. He immediately told the higher ups. If they'd done the investigation and called the police, everyone would be praising Joe Pa today for having handled this properly. Aside from the guy who saw the act and could have stopped it, the villan(s) is the PSU officials
    But that is not necessarily true. Paterno is still legally responsible at this point. He still faces legal issues because it is his responsibility to make sure the police are notified. This is rule #1 for these situations.

    Although logically it makes sense that Paterno should be "okay," the law doesn't see it that way. Penn State has to make this decision, although like most, I wish it never got to that point.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

    - Joe Posnanski

  12. #206
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,037

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    But that is not necessarily true. Paterno is still legally responsible at this point. He still faces legal issues because it is his responsibility to make sure the police are notified. This is rule #1 for these situations.

    Although logically it makes sense that Paterno should be "okay," the law doesn't see it that way. Penn State has to make this decision, although like most, I wish it never got to that point.
    Is this true? From everything I've read, legally, JoePa is in the clear.

  13. #207
    Member top6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    cincinnati
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is this true? From everything I've read, legally, JoePa is in the clear.
    He is in the clear criminally, probably, from what I understand.

    He may be at risk in a civil lawsuit.

  14. #208
    Member Stephenk29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    710

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is this true? From everything I've read, legally, JoePa is in the clear.
    It may be different in the University setting perhaps, but I know that as a teacher (we sometimes get abuse sitations), you not only report the situation to hire ups but you make sure the hire ups follow through (everyone needs to provide documentation for proof of doing your part). If you don't, things get bad, sometimes very bad.

    I could be wrong though, but this seems to be a similar setting (college employees just like HS employees).
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

    - Joe Posnanski

  15. #209
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,437

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    I've been watching this for the past hour and a half and is it just me or does anyone else think that ESPN is trying to get these students to riot?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  16. #210
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,382

    Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've been watching this for the past hour and a half and is it just me or does anyone else think that ESPN is trying to get these students to riot?
    Totally feel the same way. ESPN knows it would help their ratings, and they'll do ANYTHING for the bottom line.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25