Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Penn State really is getting cutting edge, I tell you what.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/11/penn-s.../#.Tr3SSfKwVbE

Seems nothing more than a cosmetic attempt to appeal to the outrage of the media.
    I don't know about that. I think that they correctly perceive that the university is in dire trouble. Fundraising from alumni, football revenue, and willingness of parents to send their kids there are about to disappear
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

It may be nothing, but Deadspin has uncovered that Matt Millen is listed on 2009 and 2010 tax returns for the Second Mile Foundation as the director of the state board of directors. They reached out to ESPN for a comment, and ESPN refused to comment.

http://deadspin.com/5858854/espn-sor...he-second-mile
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

http://www.thesecondmile.org/ourTeam.php

Second Mile Foundation has removed the names and credentials of all board members from their website.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

They ought to just shut the website down....
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah there are a lot of famous people on the honorary board for the 2nd Mile. Just off memory from when I saw it...Dick Vermeil, Andy Reid, Franco Harris, Mark Wahlberg, Lou Holtz, Matt Millen, and several others.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Franco should probably shut up.

Franco is right- there is a deeper institutional issue. He should have stopped there.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Franco should probably shut up.
    Franco Harris is blinded by loyalty. I'm not going to fault him for that because it happens to us all. I think once he sees the situation for what it is he will have a new perspective could take awhile though.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I've been struggling in how I should think about Joe Paterno as a whole. As appalled as I am about his inaction on this, all the good that he has done is still there and I don't think it's so simple as this erasing all of that. It overshadows it, but he still did a lot of good in his life. I really don't know what to make of all of that. Gene Wojciechowski wrote something linked below that I think captures almost perfectly what I've been trying to make sense of in mu mind.... a good read.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ch-joe-paterno
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

WOW

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...tory?track=rss

Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s for Penn State, is trying to raise funds for Jerry Sandusky's legal defense.

Stellatella has donated money and has urged other former players to do the same.

"I told him he's going to need a million dollars to defend himself," the 73-year-old Stellatella told teh Associated Press. "He called me back and said, `What am I going to do with this money?' I said, `Use it for your lawyer because you're going to need it.'"

A former "Second Mile" camper speaks out:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/211345...68643#45268643

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Everybody makes mistakes. It's what you do to correct your mistakes that shows what kind of person you are.

Paterno made an epic mistake. That's the best he can hope for in the realm of public perception. The other end of that scale would be a co-ordinated coverup.

But let's give him the benefit of the doubt and just say he made a mistake, and once alerted to the possibility of child molestation going on in his building, his program, his legacy, how does he correct the mistake?

By turning a blind eye.

I don't know ANYONE who would do such a thing. If this happened in my company, I would move heaven and earth to stop it and bring all responsible parties to justice. Nothing would stop me, no friendship, no fear of public scorn, nothing.
    I think organizations - and organizations are made up of people - cover up things like this all the time. Whether it be child molestation or any kind of crime organizations cover things like that up all the time. Look at the Catholic Church.

This is with benefit of 20/20 hindsight but if Paterno had done what he should have done, he would still be coaching today, next year and until he died - which I think he wanted to do. Sandusky is arrested and perhaps there are fewer kids who were molested. Everybody involved - including McQuerry - still have their jobs and PSU isn't facing multi-million dollar lawsuits.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Great satirical summary of my inability to wrap my head around the idea "I wish they had consulted the victims" article posted earlier in this thread.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?