Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't get what is going on here. This is like a 101 on how not to provide legal representation.
    Actually, this is smart. The prelim in a case like this is basically a rubber stamp for the case to continue down the path to trial.

Sandusky and his lawyer have a basic idea about what his accusers are going to say at trial, so they weren't going to learn anything in a prelim.

This prelim was basically just another chance for the prosecutor (and the press) to skewer Sandusky.

Waiving the prelim can also look good in plea negotiations because the victims didn't have to testify and all that good stuff.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Insanity at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Insanity at this point?
    I think that would have been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

Waiving the prelim can also look good in plea negotiations because the victims didn't have to testify and all that good stuff.
    What on earth could he possibly plea?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    What on earth could he possibly plea?
    I agree. I think (some of) the victims and prosecution are out for a pound of flesh on this. It will go to trial because the prosecutor won't make (and probably shouldn't make) a palatable offer for a guilty plea.

Even without a possible plea as motiviation, waving the prelim was probably the right thing to do as a defendant in this case.

I would almost never do it, myself, but this is the one time in maybe a thousand where it makes some sense.

I agree. I think (some of) the victims and prosecution are out for a pound of flesh on this. It will go to trial because the prosecutor won't make (and probably shouldn't make) a palatable offer for a guilty plea.

Even without a possible plea as motiviation, waving the prelim was probably the right thing to do as a defendant in this case.

I would almost never do it, myself, but this is the one time in maybe a thousand where it makes some sense.
    The prosecution has a strong incentive to settle because unless the prosecutor is devoid of all humanity, he or she will not want to put the victims through the pain of publicly testifying about what (allegedly) happened to them.

The problem is that it is impossible for them to offer any plea deal to Sandusky that is not effectively a life sentence, given his age. If he actually didn't do it (which seems very unlikely at this point - but in the context of a legal proceeding we have to assume he is innocent), then he really has to go trial. If he did do it, then one would think if he had any shred of compassion or empathy left he would want to spare his family, the victims and Penn State the pain and embarrassment of a trial, rather than take the impossible gamble that he somehow gets away with it. If he did do it, though, then it would appear that any shreds or compassion, empathy or humanity left him a long time ago, if they were ever there at all, so who knows what he will do.

Actually, this is smart. The prelim in a case like this is basically a rubber stamp for the case to continue down the path to trial.

Sandusky and his lawyer have a basic idea about what his accusers are going to say at trial, so they weren't going to learn anything in a prelim.

This prelim was basically just another chance for the prosecutor (and the press) to skewer Sandusky.

Yeah, from what little I understand about what a preliminary hearing is, I don't see a problem with waiving it. Apparently, he got the prosecution to agree not to seek an increase in bail. Frankly, every day Sandusky is out of prison is probably a victory for the defense here.

Please don't get me wrong, the lawyer's public statements and conduct are an embarrassment and completely ineffective, but this one decision seems fine to me.

Who are his lawyers? This is just getting silly now...
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for Jerry Sandusky, an attorney for the former Penn State defensive coordinator said on Thursday that his embattled client used to shower with young boys to teach them "hygiene."...
    ..Instead, Rominger argued, Sandusky was showering with them to teach them how to shower.
    Yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Who are his lawyers? This is just getting silly now...

Yahoo
    Copying the Casey Anthony defense of throwing every possible scenario out there and hope it confuses the jury to the point of acquittal?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Copying the Casey Anthony defense of throwing every possible scenario out there and hope it confuses the jury to the point of acquittal?
    Next thing you know they are going to try the Chewbacca defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

So, after the account I read of McQueary's testimony yesterday, he continues to sound like the most credible person here.

Paterno's testimony, quite honestly, made him sound horrible. Very inconsistent and honestly, a very, very lame excuse and inexcusable, not to mention incomprensible. "I didn't push Mike because McQueary was very disturbed by what he saw and I didn't want to interrupt anyone's weekend."

Woody's sore loser punch to end his career is not looking as horrible these days.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Kudos to these 400 and some players:

"Based on the immense quality of Joe's character and the absence of all the facts, we stand in support of Joe and Penn State."
    http://playersletterforjoepa.wordpress.com/

I'd sign it

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

I'd sign it
    I wouldn't. I get that he did a ton of great things off the field. But he did a terrible thing too. And in my opinion, one terrible thing outweighs a lot of good. Especially when that one terrible thing led to many terrible things happening that could have been stopped.

so they are supporting him at least partially "based on the absence of all the facts?"

Really?

That sounds strange, but is probably approrpriate for the culture that developed at Penn State in recent decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

I'd sign it

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    so they are supporting him at least partially "based on the absence of all the facts?"

Really?

That sounds strange, but is probably approrpriate for the culture that developed at Penn State in recent decades.
    Not defending these folks but from what I hear from my PA brethren is that most who are still in support of Paterno don't believe everything is out there yet. They feel at some point information will be released that helps Paterno's cause.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?