Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Technically, Paterno wasn't fired.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/01/...s-never-fired/

“Coach Paterno remains employed by the University as a tenured faculty member,” they said in a statement released Thursday. “The details of his retirement are being worked out and will be made public when they are finalized. Generally speaking, the University intends to honor the terms of his employment contract and is treating him financially as if he had retired at the end of the 2011 football season.”
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The "public meeting" held was disgusting to listen to, if anyone heard it. People wanted to bring Paterno back. Some wanted to reinstate him and let him exit on his terms of retirement. Just absolute blind loyalty, worse than I have seen in sports in my lifetime and that says a lot given how I feel about Pete Rose and his fans. But what Pete did and what Paterno essentially allowed to be hidden aren't even close to comparable.

Turns out it was just an honest mistake, Joe just didn't know how to handle it.....so he just backed away.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...y-abuse-report
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Turns out it was just an honest mistake, Joe just didn't know how to handle it.....so he just backed away.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...y-abuse-report
    yeah, how do you handle something like that? lol..gosh, who would ever know what to do? lol...

"I don't know that it would have done any good, because I never heard of, of, rape and a man..."
    This is Joe's side of the story that he's been fighting to get out? Nice try, not buying it. I'm not buying that you didn't know that a man could rape another man.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

It kinda seems like joe pa is admitting his failure and trying to rationalize it.

Anyway, even Joe Pa seems to think he should've done more.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    This is Joe's side of the story that he's been fighting to get out? Nice try, not buying it. I'm not buying that you didn't know that a man could rape another man.
    I'm just stunned a lawyer somewhere isn't sticking a sock in Paterno and Sandusky's mouth to protect them from themselves.

Imagine if one of his coaches came to him after a 10 sack game and said "Joe, I had never heard of a blitz before, I didn't know what to do"
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

People continue to put the brunt of this on Paterno and indeed he should be feeling heat for not following up on his reports to the VP and the AD. However where is the condemnation for the Board of Trustees who were informed of this investigation last May and did nothing about it until ESPN ran with the story. Where is the condemnation for Spanier who knew of the Sandusky report and did nothing with it, even allowing him (Sandusky) to still roam free on campus. How about Curley and Schultz who lied to the grand jury? What about the DA (now presumed dead) in Centre County who had evidence in 1998 and chose not to prosecute this case. What about the police detectives who felt they had enough evidence to prosecute Sandusky in 1998 but let the case go after the DA declined prosecution? What about the now Gov of Pennsylvania who continued to receive campaign donations from Second Mile even though he knew of the investigation into the charity. Why won't Penn State release the 1998 police report that has been sealed? Paterno does stink in all of this and as the most recognizeable figure he should get his share of the blame, however I think we are missing the point that this has to be one of the worst state and institutional failures ever.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    People continue to put the brunt of this on Paterno and indeed he should be feeling heat for not following up on his reports to the VP and the AD. However where is the condemnation for the Board of Trustees who were informed of this investigation last May and did nothing about it until ESPN ran with the story. Where is the condemnation for Spanier who knew of the Sandusky report and did nothing with it, even allowing him (Sandusky) to still roam free on campus. How about Curley and Schultz who lied to the grand jury? What about the DA (now presumed dead) in Centre County who had evidence in 1998 and chose not to prosecute this case. What about the police detectives who felt they had enough evidence to prosecute Sandusky in 1998 but let the case go after the DA declined prosecution? What about the now Gov of Pennsylvania who continued to receive campaign donations from Second Mile even though he knew of the investigation into the charity. Why won't Penn State release the 1998 police report that has been sealed? Paterno does stink in all of this and as the most recognizeable figure he should get his share of the blame, however I think we are missing the point that this has to be one of the worst state and institutional failures ever.
    You're not wrong. They definitely deserve their share of blame. However, the one person who could have kept Sandusky off campus was Paterno. Paterno was the one person who the AD, the university president and the board of trustees would have moved heaven and earth for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You're being intentionally ignorant if you think that Paterno didnt know about Sandusky. They knew in 1998. That's why they forced him to retire. 2002 I doubt was much of a shock.

Paterno is now on record as saying he had "no inkling" that Sandusky had this issue until the incident in 2002. He said that Sandusky retired-not fired- in 1998 because he was told that he would not succeed Joe Pa as head coach.

I wouldn't say I'm being ignorant. I'd say I'm just going by the facts as we know them today.

I don't discuss man rape with the grandparents in my family. I believe him. You may hate what happened here and hate JoePa and he's a lot of things but he's no liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Paterno is now on record as saying he had "no inkling" that Sandusky had this issue until the incident in 2002. He said that Sandusky retired-not fired- in 1998 because he was told that he would not succeed Joe Pa as head coach.

I wouldn't say I'm being ignorant. I'd say I'm just going by the facts as we know them today.
    I didn't say he was fired. They forced him to retire. Sandusky says he was told that he was "spending too much time on his charity to be a head football coach." I guess it's just a coincidence that they told him that right after he was investigated for molesting kids. But hey JoePa says he didn't know, I guess we have no other choice but to ignore all common sense and believe him. He says that he didn't know a man could rape another man too, so I guess a man can't rape another man.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 01-15-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I don't discuss man rape with the grandparents in my family. I believe him. You may hate what happened here and hate JoePa and he's a lot of things but he's no liar.
    Oh he's not? Thank God you said something, I had the wrong opinion of him this whole time.

Why would anyone need to discuss it with him?

I had the wrong opinion of him this whole time.
    You sure have! I'm glad you finally "came around"

You may hate what happened here and hate JoePa and he's a lot of things but he's no liar.
    How do you know? Not that it makes much difference, at this point.

Turn Off Ads?