Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I view this that Paterno was a man just like all the rest of us. He did some good things and he did some bad things. Just like all of us. We all have our shining moments and we all have our failures. "Cast the first stone" and all that.

I think that if you look back on his "body of work", he was a good man. His lifetime and his works directly affected hundreds of players in a very positive way. I think the outpouring of support from his former players in the teeth of the ugliness of this scandal proves the depth that his effect had.

I also think it was a major failing of his to not follow up on this scandal. But good men can do bad things. Great men have failings. In my humdrum life, the daily battle hasn't been good versus evil. It's hardly so epic. Most days, my real battle is doing good versus doing nothing. Paterno did nothing. Who here hasn't done something when they saw something needed to be done? I'd raise my hand.
    I can appreciate but I can't raise my hand when it comes to being silent about child rape, or any rape for that matter. If the crime weren't so heinous I'd be right there with you Roy. He was part of the cover up, willing participant or not he was part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I can appreciate but I can't raise my hand when it comes to being silent about child rape, or any rape for that matter. If the crime weren't so heinous I'd be right there with you Roy. He was part of the cover up, willing participant or not he was part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it's a little extreme to say he "stayed silent". He didn't. He did tell people.

I still believe that he didn't do enough because of Sandusky's continued access to the program after this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think it's a little extreme to say he "stayed silent". He didn't. He did tell people.

I still believe that he didn't do enough because of Sandusky's continued access to the program after this incident.
    Yeah, I guess. But again to me it's different when it comes to children's safety being involved.

If McQueary had come to Paterno and said "Hey, I saw Coach Sandusky loading equipment into the trunk of his car after hours." And Paterno's answer to the charge of not doing enough was "Well, I reported it to my superiors. And no I never followed up, even though he still had keys to the facilities and I saw him on campus regularly." I'd be right there saying hey he did what was required of him. It's not his job catch a thief.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I heard the funeral comments from what's his name from Nike and was sickened by them. I can't believe Joe Paterno died with a clean conscience. In fact, if I'm a fan of his, I would hope he died grieving for the kids who were raped by Jerry Sandusky in the shower of his football team's locker room.

Maybe a man can be forgiven for making the mistake of not doing enough, but asserting that he has a clean conscience does not do justice to what I hope was the true man. If he had a conscience at all, he was tormented by the events. I know I would have been, trying to go to sleep at night with the image of some ten year old kid being raped by my old friend would terrorize my soul.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I heard the funeral comments from what's his name from Nike and was sickened by them. I can't believe Joe Paterno died with a clean conscience. In fact, if I'm a fan of his, I would hope he died grieving for the kids who were raped by Jerry Sandusky in the shower of his football team's locker room.

Maybe a man can be forgiven for making the mistake of not doing enough, but asserting that he has a clean conscience does not do justice to what I hope was the true man. If he had a conscience at all, he was tormented by the events. I know I would have been, trying to go to sleep at night with the image of some ten year old kid being raped by my old friend would terrorize my soul.
    Considering Penn State has been a long time Nike school, Phil Knight's comments aren't surprising.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I think some people take child abuse really seriously, and get really upset when it happens, and really angry at the people involved in allowing it to happen, no matter how peripherally, and they aren't going to chill out as long people keep defending someone who admits he didn't do enough to stop child abuse. These are what we call in some parts of the world normal people.

Also, I think Paterno is a liar, for the record. Given the level of influence and control he had over Penn State and Penn State football in particular, I just do not believe that he was unaware of the 1998 investigation. I wouldn't believe that in any event; I especially don't believe it given the timing of Sandusky's resignation, and Lavar Arrington's character testimony didn't change my mind.

Exactly.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...enn_state.html

The state Department of Public Welfare investigator who closed a child sexual abuse investigation against Jerry Sandusky in 1998 said he likely would not have closed it had he seen reports from two psychologists who interviewed the young accuser.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/468430.../#.T25RDmGKB3g

Sandusky labeled a likely pedophile in 1998.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/12/je...defense-bills/

Former Pennsylvania State University football coach Jerry Sandusky is drawing on funds from an organization he set up for at-risk children to pay his defense fees.

In 2011 Sandusky was charged with over 40 counts of sexual abusing young boys over a 15-year period. A graphic grand jury report released in November detailed the allegations against Sandusky — which include the rape of young boys in Penn State’s football locker room.

Sandusky’s legal defense has already cost him $200,000 and his lawyer, Joe Amendola, told USA Today that limited funds have hampered efforts to find damaging information about his eight known accusers.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120621/D9VHPB602.html

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) - Lawyers for one of Jerry Sandusky's adopted sons said the man has told authorities the former Penn State assistant football coach abused him.

The lawyers issued a statement Thursday naming Matt Sandusky, one of Jerry Sandusky's six adopted children, and saying that the 33-year-old had been prepared to testify on behalf of prosecutors at his father's sex abuse trial.

Wow

Not surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

What are the chances that he gets a hung jury on this? Unfortunately I think it's pretty high.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What are the chances that he gets a hung jury on this? Unfortunately I think it's pretty high.
    Ya just never know.........

Verdict reached.

Turn Off Ads?