Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

2 2.60%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • UT Todd Frazier

5 6.49%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • SS Didi Gregorius

0 0%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

1 1.30%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • 2B Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

23 29.87%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

8 10.39%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

22 28.57%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

16 20.78%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    No, there was an earlier occasion when he wasn't around and nobody knew where he was. I wish I could remember the exact scenario. I believe it was when all the other highly touted young guys reported early to spring training and he was conspicuously absent. Again, there may have been legitimate circumstances. We just don't know. But there's sort of a buildup of caution flags that we've been seeing with him.
    I believe that you are right. Also, given the timeline of the birth of his child, around that time is probably when he was just finding out that it existed. Whether that has anything at all to do with why he didn't show up early when invited, I have no idea. As for caution flags, I will just say that all I have heard about on him has all been directly from this year. His third in the system. To me that suggests more circumstances than actual issues.

Does the fact that he was playing in Dayton really have much to do with it? Is it harder to play with a good attitude in Dayton than it is in, say, the AZL, where there are a lot of 18-year-olds?
    I think it makes a difference in perception, yes. When he has been surrounded by other younger players in the AZL and Billings in the past two seasons, we never once heard any issues about his on the field attitude or effort. We never heard about any off the field issues with him either. Is it because they didn't exist? No idea. Is it because he was being compared to other players more along his age line, even though he was always much younger than the others? No idea, but it could be, especially since there is at least some history of those levels having other players close to his age come through. Dayton simply doesn't have any counterpart for comparison with him ever until Ronald Torreyes showed up in June, after we had already started hearing things, meaning that people were then also continuing to look for things to confirm that. Maybe it isn't perception. But I think it absolutely could be too, at least in part, because there simply haven't been anyone else his age on the team in its history, or even in a Reds full season league since at least 1995 when I stopped looking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Where is Yorman slated for in 2012?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    In the past, they have been one day. Do you think a longer time would be better?
    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Unless Rodriguez or Soto breaks away, we'll likely do the runoff tomorrow.
    Make it 2 days. It's easy for someone to miss things when they get swamped with life. Besides, just because it would be set to last 2 days doesn't mean people would have to wait the full 2 days before moving onto the next poll. Just like with this thread's poll.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Where is Yorman slated for in 2012?
    I imagine he heads back to Dayton, at least for half a season. He will still be one of the 10-15 youngest players in the league at that point.

I imagine he heads back to Dayton, at least for half a season.
    Doug, somebody has posted on your site that Yorman was sent back to VZ uninjured and said he would not be back. Do you have any idea whether there is truth to this story? Have you checked into it?

I'll say this again -- Yorman has always played some winter ball in VZ, but he is not doing so this year. What is going on with this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Doug, somebody has posted on your site that Yorman was sent back to VZ uninjured and said he would not be back. Do you have any idea whether there is truth to this story? Have you checked into it?

I'll say this again -- Yorman has always played some winter ball in VZ, but he is not doing so this year. What is going on with this kid?
    No clue on that. Wouldn't even know where to begin to check on something like that.

As for him playing winter ball.... he had a shoulder injury at the end of the year. Maybe he just isn't healthy?

As for him playing winter ball.... he had a shoulder injury at the end of the year. Maybe he just isn't healthy?
    That would probably be preferable to the alternative. But your poster said he was uninjured.

There's just too much uncertainty swirling around Yorman these days for me to keep him highly ranked as a prospect.

That would probably be preferable to the alternative. But your poster said he was uninjured.

There's just too much uncertainty swirling around Yorman these days for me to keep him highly ranked as a prospect.
    In the runoff, I went with Rodriguez, so I'll make a similar, vague, foundless post on a random message board about Neftali Soto to help Yorman's odds.

so I'll make a similar, vague, foundless post on a random message board about Neftali Soto to help Yorman's odds.
    It may be foundless, it may not be. How do you know?

It certainly wasn't vague.

It may be foundless, it may not be. How do you know?

It certainly wasn't vague.
    The post in question isn't necessarily vague and/or without foundation, but if people are going to factor stuff like that into the voting--which doesn't bother me at all, believe it or not--I may just start doing similar things to skew the voting since that's the kind of jerk I am. I also plan on hacking baseball-reference.com to change a lot of the players' stats.

I have heard that before. Just because the doctor couldn't find something doesn't mean you aren't feeling something.

Yorman was on the Instructional League roster on the BA website.

Turn Off Ads?