Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

2 2.60%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • UT Todd Frazier

5 6.49%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • SS Didi Gregorius

0 0%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

1 1.30%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • 2B Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

23 29.87%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

8 10.39%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

22 28.57%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

16 20.78%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    So, guys you have ranked above him you have pegged as future stars?
    No, I said I hoped Sappelt becomes a star player. I'm not projecting that he does. As I've said, I don't project him as a major league regular.

The guys I've voted for ahead of Sappelt (I voted for all the guys selected so far except Corcino), I do project as major league regulars.

I hope they all becomes stars for the Reds, including Sappelt and everyone else on the list.

I think I've explained my views of Sappelt pretty clearly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    No doubt he's got great tools. But he couldn't stay on the field. And now he's not on a winter league roster. That tells me one of two things must be true (and both may be true):

1. He's got a significant injury. We were hearing shoulder, but the reports always sounded somewhat ambiguous.

2. His off-field issues are continuing. Whatever they may be.

He's out of my top 10. There's something not quite right with Yorman's career right now, and until he's back playing every day my confidence in him as a prospect will remain decidedly adjusted.
    I've got to come down on this side of it, largely because I believe there are six tools, counting makeup, and Yorman seems to have a long, long way to go on one of the most important.

Plus, there's this: There have been a lot of references to Yorman holding his own as an 18-year-old in the Midwest League. Yeah, he did, for the time that he played. And Torreyes dominated it. He, too, was 18.

The only tool in which Yorman seems significantly stronger than Torreyes is power. (Possibly arm, but I think Torreyes covers that with a far better glove.) The question is whether Torreyes' huge advantage in makeup (including baseball instincts), along with his advanced hit tool, outweighs (or at least matches) Yorman's substantial edge in power.

I went with Soto here. Even though he plays a position that we already have a log jam at, that shouldn't really affect his prospect status and I think he will come through again this season power-wise in a big way. Almost to the point where the Reds may be forced to play him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think those of us who haven't voted for Sappelt watched him play with the Reds last year. Didn't play like a top ten prospect.

Yorman Rodriguez, based on overall talent level, needs to be in the top ten. I've got him here.
    A lot of prospects didn't play like a Top 10 prospect in their first 20 MLB games. It happens to a lot of guys. And to be honest, he was actually pretty darn solid from about a week and a half going forward in the Majors. He just was really poor in the first 11 games. He even talked about how he was pressing and trying to do too much around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I agree on Sappelt. I've liked him for two years and I thought he showed progress in his at-bats this year with the Reds. I think he'll win the CF contest if no one is brought in from the outside. That said, I can't have him in front of Yorman, my number 6.
    A couple of interesting things to consider about the year Yorman had as a 19 year old in the Midwest League.
    Yorman was 18 this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A lot of prospects didn't play like a Top 10 prospect in their first 20 MLB games. It happens to a lot of guys. And to be honest, he was actually pretty darn solid from about a week and a half going forward in the Majors. He just was really poor in the first 11 games. He even talked about how he was pressing and trying to do too much around that time.
    Based on Sappelt's entire record, I think the lack of power and lack of patience are legitimate concerns.

And the lack of arm strength seems equally legitimate.

Based on Sappelt's entire record, I think the lack of power and lack of patience are legitimate concerns.

I think people confuse lack of patience with a lack of walks, but they aren't always the same things. Sappelt gets the strikezone. He swings at strikes. He often hits them too, which is why the walk rates are on the lower end. Guys with high contact rates don't often walk much because they don't get deeper into counts because when they swing, they hit the ball.

As for the power, I guess it depends on what you expect. I think he can be a 35 double/15 HR guy. That is plenty when given the rest of his game.

The arm is a tad bit of an issue, but he isn't Johnny Damon out there either.

I think people confuse lack of patience with a lack of walks, but they aren't always the same things. Sappelt gets the strikezone. He swings at strikes. He often hits them too, which is why the walk rates are on the lower end. Guys with high contact rates don't often walk much because they don't get deeper into counts because when they swing, they hit the ball.

As for the power, I guess it depends on what you expect. I think he can be a 35 double/15 HR guy. That is plenty when given the rest of his game.

The arm is a tad bit of an issue, but he isn't Johnny Damon out there either.
    I think this sums Sappelt up pretty well.

Still I went Soto due to the lack of support Sappelt is getting.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I am with you.... but I am in even more shock that Yorman is here. Both would be off the board for me by this point.
    Yeah, I would have Yorman next on my list after Sappelt.

I think those of us who haven't voted for Sappelt watched him play with the Reds last year. Didn't play like a top ten prospect.

Yorman Rodriguez, based on overall talent level, needs to be in the top ten. I've got him here.
    Small sample size? I bet you could look at numbers over history shown by some of the greats where over their first few professional ABs, they've done poorly but gone on to have great careers.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Small sample size? I bet you could look at numbers over history shown by some of the greats where over their first few professional ABs, they've done poorly but gone on to have great careers.
    I've written a detailed explanation for my position on Sappelt, which I won't repeat. It's in this thread.

Odd, though, that Yonder has been proclaimed a future hitting star by virtue of his small sample. Yet Sappelt's small sample appears to be irrelevant.

Focusing on Yorman for a moment, the guy is only 19 yet he had a .361 OBP at Billings and did reasonably ok at Dayton given his age. While his OPS at Dayton was only .711, he did hit 7 homers. His power wasn't there at Billings, but showed up at Dayton. Leads me to believe that it will emerge as time goes on.

Again, Yorman only turned 19 this past August. He's way ahead of the game.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Sappelt has a .459 slugging % in nearly 1800 minor league PAs. That includes .464 at AAA (451 PAs) and .548 at AA (372 PAs). Its not like he was beating up on low level guys that he was more advanced than. He won't be a 20 HR guy, but he has plenty of extra base power for a CF type. He also has great range in CF and hits with a lot of contact ability. His minor league line is .309/.362/.459/.821. I don't see the issues with his power or his defense. His arm is a little weak, but he won't be playing in RF. If he gets to the ball quickly, it makes up for a lot of other issues where arm strength is concerned.

I like him a whole lot and have him at number 4 on my list. If I thought he would quit trying to steal bases (where I think he'll get himself out too often), I'd have him higher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like him a whole lot and have him at number 4 on my list. If I thought he would quit trying to steal bases (where I think he'll get himself out too often), I'd have him higher.
    It's not like Sappelt's gonna have the green light in the majors. I never understood the flak he took for running too much.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I have read what Redsof72 has written multiple times about Yorman, and I'm not impressed. He seems to have the heart of an 8 year old whose father is making him play the game.

I voted Soto for his power numbers and I have Torreyes a notch below.

Here is one of the posts I saw about Yorman's attitude problem. He is not in my top ten, you can't coach heart.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13271937

If Sappelt can end the Jerry Hairston Jr. impression and start taking ferocious hacks like that again, he's got my vote.

Turn Off Ads?