Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 11/7

Birthdays- 11/7

Reds:

Jim Kaat (73) -Only a Red for one year, and that as a coach, but he was the closest thing to a Reds birthday I could find. Had a famously long pitching career, behind only Nolan Ryan and Tommy John. Used the same glove for 15 years. Pitched during the administrations of seven U.S. presidents: Eisenhower through Reagan. Was the last active major leaguer to have played in the 1950s. A finalist for the HOF Veteran's Committe this year; he probably won't make it but I'd be OK with it if he did.

Others:

Kris Benson (37) -Remembered more now for his somewhat unconventional wife than for his pitching.

Buck Martinez (63)

Joe Niekro -Hit his only home run in 1976, off of his brother.

Dick Stuart -"Dr. Strangeglove". Hit 66 homers one year in the minors. Was on deck when Mazeroski hit the homer that won the 1960 World Series.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays- 11/7

Kaat played in four different decades. I remember that because it was asked of me in a baseball trivia TV show in Venezuela.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Kaat played in four different decades. I remember that because it was asked of me in a baseball trivia TV show in Venezuela.
    Hey, sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about this. How did you get selected? How well did you do on the show? When was this? Stuff like that.

Oh, and I'd like to add to chico's list The Only Nolan. Yep, that's the way his name is listed in Baseball Reference. He started in the 1878 season and finished up in 1885 (pitcher, outfielder, third baseman).

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Hey, sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about this. How did you get selected? How well did you do on the show? When was this? Stuff like that.

Oh, and I'd like to add to chico's list The Only Nolan. Yep, that's the way his name is listed in Baseball Reference. He started in the 1878 season and finished up in 1885 (pitcher, outfielder, third baseman).
    Not that interesting, really. It was a short-lived show in the early 1983. It was really for high schools to compete against each other, but I went representing the Biology department of my university. We played against the Physics department. Teams of four each. I wasn't studying Biology, but my girlfriend (now wife) was, so I was recruited.

The game consisted of asking for questions of varying difficulty (single, double, triple, home run) and if you answered you got that "hit" and girls would move around the bases (my wife was one of the "girls" for our game).

The Kaat question was run scoring triple and our team won. Not sure what we won, maybe a gift certificate for something.

After that show, however, I'd go over to the station every once in a while and hang out and talk baseball with the guys who ran the show, who were also the announcers of the local transmissions (in spanish) of ML baseball. We'd make up some of the questions for the show and try to out-trivia each other.
    I remember this because the All-Star game was coming up and we were doing All-Star trivia and I asked one of the announcers "Name the players who have hit Grand Slams in All-Star games". He looked at me and said "I can't recall, I don't think its ever been done" (the correct answer at the time). I told him "well now you'll be ready when someone hits one this year".

Well, that year Fred Lynn hit the first ASG grand slam and as the ball left the yard, the Venezuelan guys had a title (in spanish) stating that it was an ASG first. The US announcers, whom I could hear in the background, were fumbling around with their numbers/records guys and didn't come to realization until Lynn was heading for home (or something like that).

I thought I'd get an on air mention for my contribution to their "coup", but no such luck. And that's my little story.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Seems odd to mention Jim Kaat and NOT mention his 16 gold glove awards. Just sayin'.

Turn Off Ads?