• Justin Upton

1 2.27%
  • Shane Victorino

0 0%
  • Joey Votto

1 2.27%
  • Someone else

0 0%

Thread: Pick the NL MVP (Official winner tba @ 2 pm est. on Nov. 22)

Pick the NL MVP (Official winner tba @ 2 pm est. on Nov. 22)

Voting was conducted at the end of the regular season.

From the BBWAA FAQ page:
    There seems to always be a debate about the definition of the MVP. What does the ballot say?

Dear Voter:

There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

You are also urged to give serious consideration to all your selections, from 1 to 10. A 10th-place vote can influence the outcome of an election. You must fill in all 10 places on your ballot. Only regular-season performances are to be taken into consideration.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.
    http://bbwaa.com/voting-faq/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pick the NL MVP (Official winner tba @ 2 pm est. on Nov. 22)

Berkman, he was the difference maker from last year to this for the team that won it all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Surprised to see Braun outpacing Kemp. They put very similar offensive numbers across the board, with Kemp probably holding the edge if you adjust for park effects. But then you look at defense and you have two mediocre-at-best guys, but one of whom played CF and one who played LF - the 2nd (3rd if you count C) most valuable defensive position against the 2nd least valuable.

I'm guessing that's the teammates/intangible effect at work?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's tough trhis year.

Kemp is clearly (well barely clearly) the best player in the NL this year, yet played on a non-contender.

The Brewers had Braun and Fielder, both excellent, but hard to choose between the 2.

The Cards had Berkamn, Pujols and Holliday. All had excellent seasons, and I'd rate berkamn as having the best of the 3. But to some extent, each makes the others less valuable, just like the Brewers duo.

Tulowitzki as a SS may be better than them all.

I'd say it's toss up between Braun and Kemp, and I'll go with Kemp as the others will, to some degree, split the votes.

I would have said Berkman was the MVP for the Cards but Pujols was key to the stretch run they had so I put Pujols as the Cards MVP by a nose over Berkman.

However, I had to pick Braun as league MVP. Kemp was a nice story but I think the Brewers making the playoffs gives Braun the edge for me.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Braun is my choice. Great year and his team won the division.
    Kemp had a fantastic year also, but didn't play that many meaningful games.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Wow, only one vote for Upton. Which was me. I am surprised.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I believe the NL MVP will go to Braun or Kemp.

You can make a good argument for either one. Braun will win but I'd vote for Kemp.

Turn Off Ads?