Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Hot Stove Rumors (Discussion)

Re: Reds Hot Stove Rumors

Gardner, like Heisey, plays mostly LF, can also play CF, and hits RH pitchers better than LH pitchers.

Their career splits against said righties:

Gardner: 271/354/383/738
    Heisey: 288/346/539/885

Gardner steals more. Heisey has more power. Both play good defense. Gardner is a year-plus older.

So, basically, by swapping out Heisey for Gardner, you'd be giving up Cueto, a year of prime age, and 147 OPS points.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Interesting idea. Solves LF and leadoff, but creates a huge hole in the rotation. I would have to assume there would be other plans in place for the rotation spot -- James Shields would be a great start, but another starter still would be needed.

Cueto - Gardner feels a little tilted in the Yankees' favor, but I could see it as a starting point.
    Yeah I didn't mean for Gardner straight up. Rather, Cueto for Gardner and, say, Betances (since his was the name conspicuously absent from the list of untouchable prospects).

And yes, this would have to be paired with another trade, like Votto/Wood for Romero/Escobar/parts, or Alonso/Volquez for Sheilds to fill the hole in the rotation.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't see a match with the Yankees at all. Where would Montero play on this team? Beyond Montero, it's a bunch of Yankees prospects, and who wants any of those?
    I'd rather deal with the Yankees than the Braves. Yankees traded prospects do actually pan out, while Braves traded prospects tend to flame out. (in other words the Braves know who to hold onto...the Yanks have enough $ not to care one way or the other)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah I didn't mean for Gardner straight up. Rather, Cueto for Gardner and, say, Betances (since his was the name conspicuously absent from the list of untouchable prospects).

And yes, this would have to be paired with another trade, like Votto/Wood for Romero/Escobar/parts, or Alonso/Volquez for Sheilds to fill the hole in the rotation.
    Even if Cueto regresses to his norm (mid 3s ERA) Cueto is still a very good #2 starter on most teams. The gap between Cueto and the rest of what we have is so great that short of a premier starter in return I would not even think about trading Cueto. If the Yanks want some combinition of other starters besides Cueto then I would talk about it because we seem to have a decent number of guys who could land in 3-5 of our rotation to fill other needs. We currently have 1 very solid pitcher (Cueto) that we can pencil into our rotation. Even with a trade for Shields or (insert high caliber starter here) we need to keep Cueto to support them or else we will see a repeat of 2011 except you just replace Cueto's name as top pitcher with (insert acquired guy here).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Even if Cueto regresses to his norm (mid 3s ERA) Cueto is still a very good #2 starter on most teams. The gap between Cueto and the rest of what we have is so great that short of a premier starter in return I would not even think about trading Cueto. If the Yanks want some combinition of other starters besides Cueto then I would talk about it because we seem to have a decent number of guys who could land in 3-5 of our rotation to fill other needs. We currently have 1 very solid pitcher (Cueto) that we can pencil into our rotation. Even with a trade for Shields or (insert high caliber starter here) we need to keep Cueto to support them or else we will see a repeat of 2011 except you just replace Cueto's name as top pitcher with (insert acquired guy here).
    I agree with this. There is probably a trade out there somewhere involving Votto that could possibly improve the team. Cueto I'm just not seeing it, at least as far as helping in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What about Cueto suggests he can be a TOR guy? His declining strikeout rate certainly doesn't. He isn't an elite control guy either.
    Again, Cueto has said this year that he's focusing more on getting outs without strikeouts, in order to go deeper into games.
    It seemed to work well.
    If the Reds are going to trade Cueto this year, they might as well unload everyone and start all over again..
    Cueto is exactly what the team needs next year. They need to find another guy like him, not trade him.

Every year, there's these gloom and doom predictions for Ceuto.. Declining K rate, he's too short, etc, etc..
    He's an affordable TOR arm.. Why in the world would we want to trade him?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Again, Cueto has said this year that he's focusing more on getting outs without strikeouts, in order to go deeper into games.
    It seemed to work well.
    If the Reds are going to trade Cueto this year, they might as well unload everyone and start all over again..
    Cueto is exactly what the team needs next year. They need to find another guy like him, not trade him.

Every year, there's these gloom and doom predictions for Ceuto.. Declining K rate, he's too short, etc, etc..

It seemed to work well.

Yes.
    Go BLUE!!!

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Clayton Kershaw, anybody?

http://www.redreporter.com/2011/11/1...to-ckincinnati

It's been a quiet month in Redsland, but things just got interesting. According to an unnamed source, the Dodgers are not only listening on their ace Clayton Kershaw, but are close to a deal that would send him to Cincinnati.

As is well known, the Dodgers' ownership situation is in flux. Outgoing owner Frank McCourt has instructed GM Ned Coletti to curtail spending in an attempt to make the team's payroll situation more attractive to prospective buyers. Kershaw is arbitration-eligible for the first time this off-season and MLBTradeRumors projects a salary north of $8 mil. Considering that Kershaw is a favorite to win the Cy Young this year, he would easily be the most attractive pitcher on the market if they decided to make him available.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Not sure what our pal RR was trying to do, but its posted in 'fake news'.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Wow. I feel dumb.

Been a long week. TGIF.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What about Cueto suggests he can be a TOR guy? His declining strikeout rate certainly doesn't. He isn't an elite control guy either.
    I think he's already a TOR guy and I like the fact that he's not striking out as many guys. He's too little to pile up the pitches it takes to strike out ten per game. He's learned how to pitch so in that case I think it's a good thing that his Ks have dropped

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    An indication that this is a bad idea? A Cardinals fan thinks it's a good idea.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

It seemed to work well.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

It seemed to work well.

Totally agree.Those worried about the K rate haven't taken into account that his whip and era went down as well.Looks like he might be pitching with his head along with his arm.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?