Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 bold Reds predictions

2013 bold Reds predictions

We're 38 days away from Opening Day, and I can't wait. This is probably the most excited I've ever been about the Reds, On paper, this is the best Reds team of my lifetime. I thought it would be fun to see what kind of predictions we can get. I can't be the only one feeling extremely optimistic about this Reds team.

1. Shin-Soo Choo sign a four year extention with the Reds with an option for a 5th year, and finishes in the top five in MVP voting in the NL, by hitting .300 with an OBP around .400, slugging around .500, and hitting 20-25 HR.

2. Joey Votto leads the league in OPS around 1.050, belts 30 HR, and wins his second NL MVP.

3. Mat Latos wins the Cy Young. 220 IP, 2.75 ERA, 215 strike outs.

4. Jay Bruce continues to get better and hits 40 HR this season.

5. Aroldis Chapman makes around 20-25 starts (140ish IP) and posts an ERA below 3.50 while averaging around 10.0 K/9 IP.

6. Reds win their first World Series since 1990.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 02-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 bold Reds predictions

• Brandon Phillips hits .300 with a OBP over .350 on his way to 100 runs scored
    • Joey Votto has an OPS over 1.000 but fails to hit 20 home runs
    • Jack Hannahan finishes with more starts at 3B than Todd Frazier
    • Aroldis Chapman has an ERA over 4.00 as a SP
    • Come October, JJ Hoover and Tony Cingrani are two of the three best RP in the bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    • Brandon Phillips hits .300 with a OBP over .350 on his way to 100 runs scored
    • Joey Votto has an OPS over 1.000 but fails to hit 20 home runs
    • Jack Hannahan finishes with more starts at 3B than Todd Frazier
    • Aroldis Chapman has an ERA over 4.00 as a SP
    • Come October, JJ Hoover and Tony Cingrani are two of the three best RP in the bullpen
    I'm down with the last four (except I think Votto will hit 30 HR.)

Some I'd add:

Homer Bailey emerges as the Reds Ace with Matt Latos close behind.

Johnny Cueto takes a step back and misses 6 weeks or so with nagging injuries coming off last season's jump in IP.

Devin Mesoraco plays less that 50% of the time but hits 15 HR with an OPS around .800.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I also think Mesoraco is gonna step up this season. He still won't get the bulk of the playing time, but I think he's gonna have a good year.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Reds acquire either Josh Johnson or Roy Halladay at the deadline.
    Six different Reds hit 20 home runs.
    I did this last year, but Wire to Wire!
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Mike Leake wins 15.
    Scott Rolen starts game one of the playoffs. Let me rephrase that; Scott Rolen is in the starting lineup in game one of the playoffs.
    Homer Bailey kills a lion with just a bow and arrow.

Hey! I am off to a pretty good start!
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Billy Hamilton is the starting centerfielder by the trade deadline.

Mat Latos wins 20 games, and the Cy Young award.

The Reds win the World Series.

Votto hits more HRs than Ludwick.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

double post
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

• Choo plays a league average CF.
    • Frazier has what amounts to a sophomore slump, posting an OPS under 800
    • Mesoraco has his version of Todd Frazier's 2012, hitting .275 with 12 bombs in about 300 PA.
    • Chapman pitches quite well through about 15 starts at which point he has a couple of bad games and gets dropped from the rotation and put on the DL.
    • Cueto loses some of his "luck" and his ERA slides back in to the mid 3's.
    • Homer Bailey gets traded mid-season to acquire a name brand "ace" rental
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

1. Chapman will slide back into the closer's role by the All Star Break at the latest, and the Reds will use the trade market to grab another top quality pitcher to go with Cueto and Latos.

2. Joey Votto will have the best season of his career, and nobody will be talking about his knee come October.

3. The Reds bench will prove much better than last year, and will make a big difference come postseason time.

4. Billy Hamilton will be starting in CF by the end of the season.

5. The Reds will fall in Game 7 of the World Series to the Houston Astros when Jose Altuve hits a walkoff grand slam homer against Aroldis Chapman.

5a. The NCAA rules the rest of the AL ineligible for the postseason due to receiving improper benefits, leaving the Astros as the first 147 loss team to make the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    • Choo plays a league average CF.
    • Frazier has what amounts to a sophomore slump, posting an OPS under 800
    • Mesoraco has his version of Todd Frazier's 2012, hitting .275 with 12 bombs in about 300 PA.
    • Chapman pitches quite well through about 15 starts at which point he has a couple of bad games and gets dropped from the rotation and put on the DL.
    • Cueto loses some of his "luck" and his ERA slides back in to the mid 3's.
    • Homer Bailey gets traded mid-season to acquire a name brand "ace" rental
    I can see Frazier and Mesoraco switching roles this season. Frazier seemed to be playing above his head last year and Mesoraco just needed more playing time.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Bruce has the most consistent year of his career. Hits over .300, 45 Hrs and 145 RBI and is league MVP.

Reds decide to trade Bailey to the Padres for Chase Headley and make Frazier the super utility player.

Chapman proves to be an outstanding starting pitcher and people wonder why they never started him before this year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Thom Brennaman won't over-pronounce Hispanic names.

(OK, that will never happen. You said "bold" predictions, not "impossible.")

-August 1st the Reds have an OF of Bruce, Hamilton, Choo.
    -Latos is the Reds best pitcher followed by Homer.
    -Mesoraco starts the season in AAA only to wind up the Reds #1 Catcher.
    -Chapman starts the season on the DL with a Phantom injury and is in the starting rotation come May 1st.

Turn Off Ads?