Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds; Take Note From The Marlins

Re: Reds; Take Note From The Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    New stadium, lots of butts in the seats, winning.
    Tell the Dolphins about butts in seats.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

you left out "bribe local politicians" before "New stadium"
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Yes, the Reds and Bengals stadium deals were completely above board, no controversy whatsoever.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    The Miami Marlins are in on what seems like everybody this offseason and are going all in. They are going after a 3rd Championship in 15 years. The Reds Have only had one playoff appearance in that time. Who's committed to winning? I know the Reds are building within and drafting and doing things the cheap way but by not adding to this team in 2 years then this team really has to ask it self it it truly wants to bring winning baseball back to Cincinnati. Joey Votto will be a free agent soon and the time to build on this club is now. It's truly beating a dead horse but sometimes you got to either produce on your promises or stop promising.
    I'm resigned to the fact that the Reds FO is ok with mediocrity. I just love the game and enjoy drinking a beer out in the moon deck. I don't expect them to really compete for a WS in my lifetime.

Just the way it is.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Jon Heyman just tweeted that Miami may increase payroll to upwards of $100 million. How can they get away with this?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Perhaps the Reds should have taken this road a decade ago. Winning = butts in the seats. A new ballpark really doesn't do much after the first year novelty wears off.

Miami has also upped their offer to Pujols. Not sure on $ yet.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Jon Heyman just tweeted that Miami may increase payroll to upwards of $100 million. How can they get away with this?
    They've been profitable for years on the back of revenue sharing and a low payroll. Maybe they've been putting that money in a "once we have a stadium that will support recurring revenues" fund they're finally prepared to tap.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    They've been profitable for years on the back of revenue sharing and a low payroll. Maybe they've been putting that money in a "once we have a stadium that will support recurring revenues" fund they're finally prepared to tap.
    and bribed/cajoled local politicians, who now have been booted out of office and a bond issue for the stadium is being investigated for shenanigans by the SEC. Everyone keeps leaving that part out
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

"So Fla Red"

Insane really. No evidence of a sustainable local fan base in South Florida, especially given the walled off location down in Little Havana to the Northern Counties. They will be back to 25K per game or less within three years. Weekends will do well, weeknights will be 20K max. Even with Marino, the Dolphins often struggled to sell out.

Now, TV dollars could be another thing. Imagine Pujols could enable the Marlins to get closer to a Rangers type TV deal.

Luria selling the team w/ Pujols markup in a couple years makes the most sense as an exit strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I'm resigned to the fact that the Reds FO is ok with mediocrity. I just love the game and enjoy drinking a beer out in the moon deck. I don't expect them to really compete for a WS in my lifetime.

Just the way it is.
    Then the Reds fall into the elite category of teams and fans who are cool with losing, like the Cubs. Could you really live with yourself as part of that world?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Then the Reds fall into the elite category of teams and fans who are cool with losing, like the Cubs. Could you really live with yourself as part of that world?
    What can I do? Boycott? I just think a lot of my optimism was sapped after the debacle Walt put Reds fans through last year. I have almost zero faith in him.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    With yet another trophy in the trophy case.

I'd take that tradeoff.
    And Mike Stanton through the best years of his career.

Basically it would be like arming Bruce with that type of Nucleus along with keeping a few other young bucks that have came up through your system, gearing up, winning it all; and sure maybe moving those large contract pieces but your homegrown talent likely remains throughout the run.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Don't worry. After the season, Loria will turn around and sell off anyone of value and go back to running the team on the cheap in no time. That's his MO. I doubt anyone the Marlins sign to big contracts this offseason will be with the team in two years.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I gotta say, if this thing comes together, I'll be rooting for the Marlins in the playoffs. They may be the Washington Redskins, or they may still be the Marlins, the team that bought and sold a championship in 1997 as well. From a fan's point of view, you just wish your teams billionaire owners would flip out like this. C'mon Bob, flip out would ya? Go bananas, or whatever.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?