Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is RedsZone's #9 prospect?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

26 44.07%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

33 55.93%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prospect #9 Runoff

Re: Prospect #9 Runoff

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    funny. If he can manage to take a few more walks, get that OBP up to .340+ I can see some 35-40 HR seasons in him. Health permitting, 5-10 of those.
    Seriously? So, he'll be an all-star 1st baseman.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Seriously? So, he'll be an all-star 1st baseman.
    It's always hard to compare a younger prospect and a veteran prospect.

But I still think that Soto hasn't yet lived up to his potential. Some of it is injury. I'm not persuaded by his one excellent stat - 30 homers - in one AA season. Not enough for me, particularly since he now seems limited to first base.

Yorman is obviously much more of a raw prospect. But IMO he's off to a good start at a very young age. He apparently has more upside than Soto, and more upside than most (if not all) of the other prospects in the Reds system. Yorman certainly has more upside defensively than Soto.

I'm for Yorman in the runoff.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.

I went with Yorman here and earlier. I just watch him swing a bat and I see things that other guys simply can't match. I like Soto, having him at #10 on my personal list. But Yorman just has some things going on that others simply can't match.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with Yorman here and earlier. I just watch him swing a bat and I see things that other guys simply can't match. I like Soto, having him at #10 on my personal list. But Yorman just has some things going on that others simply can't match.
    Would you say Yorman has things going on that others can't match?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Would you say Yorman has things going on that others can't match?
    Yes and no. By sheer nature of his age, there aren't many comparables. Despite playing in Dayton this season, and there being two teams in the US lower down the rung, there were only three players in the US younger than him as every day players: Gabriel Rosa, Humberto Valor and Ronald Torreyes. So you are likely to have "immaturity" problems with him compared to other guys by that nature alone. He was one of the youngest 200 players the Reds had in the US for their teams. Beyond that, I will say that I know for a fact that other players have things going on beyond the field of play that I am much more concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes and no. By sheer nature of his age, there aren't many comparables. Despite playing in Dayton this season, and there being two teams in the US lower down the rung, there were only three players in the US younger than him as every day players: Gabriel Rosa, Humberto Valor and Ronald Torreyes. So you are likely to have "immaturity" problems with him compared to other guys by that nature alone. He was one of the youngest 200 players the Reds had in the US for their teams. Beyond that, I will say that I know for a fact that other players have things going on beyond the field of play that I am much more concerned about.
    Do you think any Reds prospects have illegitimate children? If so, should they be disqualified from the voting?

Do you think any Reds prospects have illegitimate children? If so, should they be disqualified from the voting?
    No clue. And no, it shouldn't disqualify them from the voting.

I'll take Soto over Yorman, but I have both Sappelt and Torreyes ranked higher than either of them.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Yorman, given the choices. But I like Sappelt better.

Soto, since he's closer and has clearly figured something out. Yorman is the closest thing we have to a 5 tool prospect in the system, but he didn't show any of those in a season where his peers did. I'll take a guy with a pretty high chance at 30+ HRs over that any day, especially one that's just hitting AAA. All distractions aside, I think Yorman can still be a great player, but he's got work to do to get back to that #3 spot we had him at.

You mean like Chapman does?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You mean like Chapman does?
    I need to see a DNA test before I believe that one.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

The kid threw his pacifier out of the crib at 73 MPH, lefthanded. Proof enough?
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The kid threw his pacifier out of the crib at 73 MPH, lefthanded. Proof enough?
    But the next day he was only throwing 66.

He has a girlfriend and a kid in Cuba. Well documented i believe. That makes the child illegitimate.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?