Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pujols Meeting with Marlins

Pujols Meeting with Marlins

It would be ironic if the Marlins who dont like to spend money step up and sign another star, could this be the decision part 2?
    Albert Pujols Free Agent Fan Site
    http://www.albertpujolsfreeagent2012.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pujols Meeting with Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by puljos05 View Post
    It would be ironic if the Marlins who dont like to spend money step up and sign another star, could this be the decision part 2?
    Lets hope so. If Pujols and Fielder leave the Central that leaves us alone with Votto and should give us a good chance at some division titles in the next few years, and as St. Louis proved in 2006, and this year you never know what could happen if you get there.

I read the Marlins have made substantial offers to Pujols, Reyes and Bhuerle. If all three sign there, the Marlins should definitely have a Miami-heat style introduction of their big own three.

Well if the Marlins MO stands up, they will sign these three and win the series before selling off the team in pieces. Its what they do every 10 years or so

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    I read the Marlins have made substantial offers to Pujols, Reyes and Bhuerle. If all three sign there, the Marlins should definitely have a Miami-heat style introduction of their big own three.
    I don't see any way that the Marlins gave out three contracts that all three would possibly sign. I bet they low balled all three and hope that one signs. No way the Marlins are going to be giving out 350ish million to 3 players in 1 year.... that's not too far off from what they spent on their entire team this past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    I don't see any way that the Marlins gave out three contracts that all three would possibly sign. I bet they low balled all three and hope that one signs. No way the Marlins are going to be giving out 350ish million to 3 players in 1 year.... that's not too far off from what they spent on their entire team this past decade.
    My guess would be they made a legitimate offer to Pujols. He would be perfect with opening a new stadium, etc. Buehrle shouldn't really be that expensive in the first place should he? Last I remember he hasn't been doing all that great, and you may be right on the Reyes lowball offer, especially considering they have Hanley Ramirez right now. However, they would probably be trading him if they got Reyes, which would free up some money.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    My guess would be they made a legitimate offer to Pujols. He would be perfect with opening a new stadium, etc. Buehrle shouldn't really be that expensive in the first place should he? Last I remember he hasn't been doing all that great, and you may be right on the Reyes lowball offer, especially considering they have Hanley Ramirez right now. However, they would probably be trading him if they got Reyes, which would free up some money.
    I could see it too, although "legitimate" is still a very debatable term when it comes to Pujols. What would be a legitimate offer to you? I'm sure that varies fairly wildly among MLB GMs.

People were talking 300M+ about a year ago for Pujols, but I don't see that happening and I surely don't see the Marlins (or to a lesser extent, the Cardinals for that matter) coming close to that. I don't think anyone comes close to that. Yet that still seems like *the* number thrown around by the media

IMO the Marlins are not much of a threat to the Cardinals. I think the Cardinals have a bigger revenue stream, obviously have owners who will spend more, a much better fan base ($$$$$) and a much bigger incentive to sign Pujols.

Other offers or teams will probably get me worried, but the Marlins don't seem like much of a threat.
    Last edited by 10xWSChamps; 11-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post

People were talking 300M+ about a year ago for Pujols, but I don't see that happening and I surely don't see the Marlins (or to a lesser extent, the Cardinals for that matter) coming close to that. I don't think anyone comes close to that. Yet that still seems like *the* number thrown around by the media
    Just for context, the largest contract handed out in Marlins history is the 6 year, 70 million extension Hanley Ramirez signed. With that in mind, I'd say you're justified in not viewing the Marlins as a threat.

I Love Birds

The Marlins have a 37,000 seat stadium. After the newness of it wears off, 30,000 of those seats will go un-used in 2013 and beyond. Pujols will not go to a team that doesn't draw an audience. He feeds off of the energy in the ballpark.

I don't see him going to the Marlins or the Cubs (who never win). The teams that worry me the most as far as snatching him up are the Rangers/Angels.

I still think the Cardinals have a legit chance to keep him however.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Turn Off Ads?