Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding a Closer

Re: Finding a Closer

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    He considers it or he gets buried in AA. He sucked last year, in ML and AAA, he doesn't get to tell the team how to use him. If the Reds say we want to try you at closer, he shoudl say, Yes SIR.
    I think he's out of options, so he'd be gone.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Volquez would be the obvious choice to close. First of all, he throws hard and has a great second pitch. Secondly, he is wild enough to be effective. Thirdly, I have wondered if his mental state would be best suited in a closer's role. Finally, I think he will only get better, the farther removed from TJ surgery he gets.

Only question is can he physically pitch three or four one inning stints in consecutive games.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Volquez would be the obvious choice to close. First of all, he throws hard and has a great second pitch. Secondly, he is wild enough to be effective. Thirdly, I have wondered if his mental state would be best suited in a closer's role. Finally, I think he will only get better, the farther removed from TJ surgery he gets.

Only question is can he physically pitch three or four one inning stints in consecutive games.
    No, the question is how effective a closer can be averaging 5.4 walks per nine innings. That was V last year.

Volquez has always been a high walk guy. In the last three years, he has been 5 walks or more per nine. Before his injury he still had high walk totals.

Volquez isn't just wild enough to be effective. He has been wild, period.

If V fixes the wildness, he can be a good starter, closer, whatever. But his wildness isn't going away just because he closes.

I'd like to see Lecure get a shot. Don't know if his arm is resilient enough, but I do think he's got decent stuff and a fearless nature. He wouldn't be dominant, but I think he could be consistent enough to get the job done most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd like to see Lecure get a shot. Don't know if his arm is resilient enough, but I do think he's got decent stuff and a fearless nature. He wouldn't be dominant, but I think he could be consistent enough to get the job done most of the time.
    Ditto. Reminds me of Brantley.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

I had the same thought about Volquez until I remembered how much he struggled at the beginning of games last year. Isn't that an indication of him probably having problems as a closer?

My gut tells me the best guy currently on the Reds to close out games is Homer Bailey.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    My gut tells me the best guy currently on the Reds to close out games is Homer Bailey.
    If he stays healthy, he may just turn out to be the best guy to start games too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wouldn't rule Chapman out just yet - since they nixed his winter ball for a weakness in his shoulder they may reassess and keep him in the pen after all. Makes the most sense to me, especially if he's having some shoulder twinges already. Of course, maybe getting up and ready night and night may be more stressful than prepping for a start every fifth day.

Never would I take Bailey out of the rotation - not at this point anyway - he still has a chance to be a stud starter. I do like the idea of LeCure, though. Arredondo was beginning to dominate, too, and has to be in the mix. And if Boxberger gains just a smidge more control - well, I just don't see the pen being the problem, seems to be a lot of good options.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I wouldn't rule Chapman out just yet - since they nixed his winter ball for a weakness in his shoulder they may reassess and keep him in the pen after all. Makes the most sense to me, especially if he's having some shoulder twinges already. Of course, maybe getting up and ready night and night may be more stressful than prepping for a start every fifth day.

Never would I take Bailey out of the rotation - not at this point anyway - he still has a chance to be a stud starter. I do like the idea of LeCure, though. Arredondo was beginning to dominate, too, and has to be in the mix. And if Boxberger gains just a smidge more control - well, I just don't see the pen being the problem, seems to be a lot of good options.
    Agreed completely. If Chapman stays in the pen, Chapman, Masset, Arredondo, Bray, Lecure, Ondrusek, Wood and Boxberger provide 8 solid options for 7 slots. That would allow for an injury to anyone on the staff since Wood could move to the rotation if a starter goes down. Beyond these guys, the Reds will still have a decent assortment of 12th man types in AAA with Fisher, Smith and Horst. Christiani will probably be in the mix at some point and I have a feeling that Donnie Joseph will bounce back and Chris Manno (obtained in the Gomes deal), Mace Thurman and Clayton Schunick might be in position to contribute at some point in 2012. I'd add a minor league free agent or two who can be invited to spring training and could pitch at AAA and spend my resources on one proven dependable starter for the rotation and to fill any holes created by acquiring one.

I still wonder if Chapman/Boxberger late in the game can be this year's version of Craig Kimbrel and Johnny Ventors.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I could get behind this. The bullpen ticked his fastball up a notch or two, and his command was borderline machine-like at points last year. The world could use more mustached, control-artist closers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If he stays healthy, he may just turn out to be the best guy to start games too.
    My thoughts exactly As far as the bullpen is concerned, I think the Reds are a lot better with Chapman in it. I really feel that there is only about a 10% chance that he makes any significant impact as a starter this season. He is not prepared to be a starting pitcher in the major leagues.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Houston Street, anyone? The "Hot Stove" thread that's pinned to the top of the board says there is talk of a Volquez-for-Street trade. I would love me some of that. Getting rid of Volquez and acquiring a good closer in the same transaction? Yeah, count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    He considers it or he gets buried in AA. He sucked last year, in ML and AAA, he doesn't get to tell the team how to use him. If the Reds say we want to try you at closer, he shoudl say, Yes SIR.
    He absolutely did not suck at AAA. unless suck somehow means close to dominant. 1.17 WHIP 83K's 89 IP.

I keep hearing Wood compared to Cliff Lee. Now his season sucked. (Wood)

Sell EV now and be prepared to cringe. Just my opinion.

As for finding a Closer, I want a high K guy in there. Chapman is going to get the chance to start, so save the money and make LeCure the closer. Just name him now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ryan Madson and Coco are still out there on the market. Only two teams are in need of a closer, Cincinnati and the Red Sox. It seems to me that the ball is in our court if either of these two are adamant about remaining closers. We could compete with Boston for Madson, or get Coco back for a short term deal on a cheap contract. I know the Reds have said that they likely won't be able to resign Coco, but I don't see any other team out there that will give him a chance at being a closer, unless he goes to Boston (not likely) and Madson winds up here.

All of that said, I'm not a Coco fan, but if he did come back on the cheap for a one or two year deal, I wouldn't complain greatly.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?