Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finding a Closer

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Finding a Closer

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Ryan Madson and Coco are still out there on the market. Only two teams are in need of a closer, Cincinnati and the Red Sox. It seems to me that the ball is in our court if either of these two are adamant about remaining closers. We could compete with Boston for Madson, or get Coco back for a short term deal on a cheap contract. I know the Reds have said that they likely won't be able to resign Coco, but I don't see any other team out there that will give him a chance at being a closer, unless he goes to Boston (not likely) and Madson winds up here.

All of that said, I'm not a Coco fan, but if he did come back on the cheap for a one or two year deal, I wouldn't complain greatly.
    I was just about to post something similar. (Great minds! And us too.) Although I've been critical of Jocketty's passive approach to free agency and trades, sitting back and waiting might pay dividends this particular offseason in terms of the closer market. Like Sava said, there aren't many teams left that are looking for a closer. If Coco signs something like a 1-year, $5 million deal with the Reds ... I'm cool with that even though I was never a huge fan.

But what I'm really hoping is the Reds will land Madson. Problem there is I think he's looking for top-shelf (or close) closer money even though he's only had one good year as a closer. Course, it was a great year, not a good one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sign Madson.

Try to win.

THE BP FIRST TAKE
    All general managers have strengths and weaknesses, some of which are easier to observe than others. When it comes to the Diamondbacks’ Kevin Towers, the ability to construct solid a solid bullpen without breaking the bank is clearly the feather in his cap.

Towers first worked that magic during his 15-year tenure with the Padres, before bringing it with him to Arizona in September of 2010. Last offseason
    -- while the Tigers and Yankees were busy dishing out expensive, three-year deals to Joaquin Benoit and Rafael Soriano -- Towers bolstered the Diamondbacks’ pen with three low-cost moves.

J.J. Putz inked a two-year, $10 million hitch with Arizona, and outperformed both Benoit and Soriano with a 1.1 WARP effort as the closer. David Hernandez, acquired from the Orioles in the Mark Reynolds deal, posted a 2.91 FIP as Putz’s primary setup man. And Joe Paterson, a shrewd Rule 5 pick from the division rival Giants, blossomed into an elite LOOGY, holding opposing lefty batters to a .205/.292/.242 triple-slash.

In 2010, the D’backs ranked dead-last in the league with a putrid 5.72 bullpen ERA. One year of the Kevin Towers treatment pared that mark down to 3.71, good for 14th. And Towers’ two most recent moves have Arizona’s relief corps looking deeper and stronger for 2012 -- at a combined cost of about $2 million.

On Monday, the Diamondbacks agreed to a one-year, $1.75 million hitch with Takashi Saito (http://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/s...60720174571520).
    Saito will be 42 by Opening Day, but he was very effective for the Brewers last season, particularly against right-handed batters, and could form a deadly seventh-inning platoon with Paterson.

On Tuesday, Arizona brought in Jonathan Albaladejo -- once a promising relief prospect who bounced around the Nationals, Pirates, and Yankees farm systems before making his way to Japan last year -- on a minor league deal (http://twitter.com/#!/Joelsherman1/s...38048225013762). The 29-year-old Albaladejo pitched 63.1 innings for Triple-A Scranton in 2010, and struck out 82 batters while walking just 18. He was similarly effective for the Yomiuri Giants in 2011, and appears to have finally turned a corner.

Barring any significant moves in the coming weeks, the Diamondbacks will pay about $12 million to their entire bullpen for the 2012 season, including the recent acquisition of Craig Breslow in the Trevor Cahill deal with the A’s.

That’s roughly what the Phillies will pay Jonathan Papelbon alone.
    Let's see how close Walt can get to being efficient with his bullpen resources.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I've said it all along and I still think it'll happen. Cordero will come back on a much smaller contract. He's gotten little to no bites on the FA market from what I've read. I'm fairly certain that once he see's that the big paycheck isn't there to be had, he'll go for what makes him happy. And he clearly enjoyed his stay in Cincy. On a 1 or 2 year deal, I'd welcome Francisco back with open arms. Our closer prospects NEED more time, and I don't want to punt the position of closer until one is ready. We're still too close to being at the top of the division for that.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Saito for $1.75M?????

Where's Walt been? Unbelievable.

For the right low price, I'd re-sign Cordero, but only for one season. Then I'd stick Boxberger in the bullpen and see if he's ready to close.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?