Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Marlins have made "substantial offer" to Albert Pujols

Rosenthal: Marlins have made "substantial offer" to Albert Pujols

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...medium=twitter

The Marlins have made "substantial offers" to both Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and have also offered a contract to Mark Buehrle, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com. The team met with Pujols today, Reyes on Wednesday and Buehrle on Tuesday but apparently already felt comfortable enough to make contract offers, though Heyman reports there is "nothing close" to a deal with any of the three.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal: Marlins have made "substantial offer" to Albert Pujols

Not sure how I feel about that. In the long run, I think I'd rather see the Cards tied down with his deal, but shortterm it gets him out of the divison so we face him much less.

Go ahead and take your talents to South Beach, Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Go ahead and take your talents to South Beach, Albert.
    Tbh...I'd rather see Albert go to an American League team. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to a team outside of St. Louis though. Re-signing Pujols would likely cripple the Cardinals for years.

So...if they by chance do sign all three...then their new lineup would most likely look something this....

C John Buck
    1B Albert Pujols (Gaby Sanchez I guess as a backup)
    2B Omar Infante/Emilio Bonifacio
    SS Jose Reyes
    3B Hanley Ramirez (just guessing that he would move here
    RF Mike Stanton
    CF Chris Coglan/Emilio Bonifacio (?)
    LF Logan Morrison

Rotation of
    1. Josh Johnson
    2. Mark Buehrle
    3. Ricky Nolasco
    4. Anibal Sanchez
    5. Chris Volstad/Brad Hand

Just tossing some things out there as to how it might look. Not sure what they would do with Gaby Sanchez though....

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    So...if they by chance do sign all three...then their new lineup would most likely look something this....

C John Buck
    1B Albert Pujols (Gaby Sanchez I guess as a backup)
    2B Omar Infante/Emilio Bonifacio
    SS Jose Reyes
    3B Hanley Ramirez (just guessing that he would move here
    RF Mike Stanton
    CF Chris Coglan/Emilio Bonifacio (?)
    LF Logan Morrison

Rotation of
    1. Josh Johnson
    2. Mark Buehrle
    3. Ricky Nolasco
    4. Anibal Sanchez
    5. Chris Volstad/Brad Hand

Just tossing some things out there as to how it might look. Not sure what they would do with Gaby Sanchez though....
    Pretty close:

Reyes,6
    Bonifacio, 8
    Ramirez,5
    Pujols,3
    Stanton,9
    Morrison,7
    Buck, 2
    Infante,4

Gaby Sanchez would be traded.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

How do they have the money?

Oh, wait, maybe they're 'going for it'

-The Insider-

They have the money with the new stadium. It's a new era in Miami.

I pray they sign Pujols, Buehrle AND Reyes. They won't win anything in that division, and it will render the rest of the National League a lot more interesting to boot. People will still be finding better things to do in August in Miami than attending Marlins games, and their front office will be scrambling to find ways draw more senior citizens and welfare recipients to meaningless ballgames.

The problem with Florida is that it is a saturated market. Saturating it even more is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    How do they have the money?

Oh, wait, maybe they're 'going for it'
    Just wait until 2003!... The Reds were blowing smoke up our butts.

It remains to be seen just how the Marlins will capitalize on the opening of a new Ballpark. I guess we have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I pray they sign Pujols, Buehrle AND Reyes. They won't win anything in that division, and it will render the rest of the National League a lot more interesting to boot. People will still be finding better things to do in August in Miami than attending Marlins games, and their front office will be scrambling to find ways draw more senior citizens and welfare recipients to meaningless ballgames.

The problem with Florida is that it is a saturated market. Saturating it even more is not the answer.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Marlins were 9 games under .500 last year without those 3 guys in a year where the team went through some growing pains. If they were to add those 3, I think they jump past the Braves and compete with the Phillies. The Phillies are getting old(er) fast and I expect the pitching in Philly to be weaker this year while the offense continues to decline (unless they are active in the free agent market). I don't see the Phillies winning 100+ games again next year.

Does anyone feel that both the Reyes and Pujols camps are using the Marlins to bolster their free agency status? Do they get a contract offer from the Marlins knowing full well they won't sign there but do it anyway to put a number out there as a negotiating point for other teams?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Miami baseball market is a bit of enigma. The Marlins were playing in the football stadium, with little or no public transportation and nothing to do pre and post-game. In August it rains here. Every day. If you lived in South Miami, it was 1-2 hour drive.

The new stadium, where the old Orange Bowl used to be, is much closer to downtown (and Jackson Memorial Hospital, in case someone gets hurt). It has a roof. Supposedly its a better fit.

We'll know if it worked in a couple of years once the novelty wears off.

As for Pujols, he's staying in St Louis.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

This is why I have said the Marlins would be a player for Pujols:

1. High Latino influence in Miami. Culturally, it makes sense.

2. New ballpark opening. They will need someone other than Ozzie Guillen to sell tickets.

3. Mostly young lineup, adding Pujols provides stable veteran leadership for the young players to learn from. The last time the Marlins added a veteran player that turned them around was Ivan Rodriguez, and that worked out pretty well.

4. The Heat have the Big Three in LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. The Dolphins are in a prime position to have Andrew Luck, the top QB prospect since Peyton Manning, fill a major void the Dolphins haven't had since Dan Marino. The Marlins have to do something to keep pace, or they will be on the back section of the Miami Herald.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Does anyone feel that both the Reyes and Pujols camps are using the Marlins to bolster their free agency status? Do they get a contract offer from the Marlins knowing full well they won't sign there but do it anyway to put a number out there as a negotiating point for other teams?
    I think both players will go where the money is the greatest.

Turn Off Ads?