Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds release Jeff Francis

Reds release Jeff Francis

According to MLBTR, he exercised a June 1 opt-out clause. That's kind of a hit to our starting pitching depth.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds release Jeff Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    According to MLBTR, he exercised a June 1 opt-out clause. That's kind of a hit to our starting pitching depth.

Not really. Other than a warm body being put on the mound I can't see that it affects it that much. You could probably pick up another one just like him without much of a problem.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Then technically, the Reds didn't release him, he walked away from his ml deal with them, correct?
    /r/reds

I guess that shutout he threw the other night must have gotten someone's attention. I wonder where he will sign- I imagine one of the Oswalt losers would have an interest.

Then technically, the Reds didn't release him, he walked away from his ml deal with them, correct?
    IDK. MLBTR says "released at his request", then later goes on to say he exercised a June 1 opt-out.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I guess that shutout he threw the other night must have gotten someone's attention. I wonder where he will sign- I imagine one of the Oswalt losers would have an interest.
    Yeah; I imagine that typically goes the way of the agent talking with other clubs and only having his guy opt out once he's got something better lined up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Usually a team will have at least one starter go down for a start or two. He just got unlucky to be with a team who has been blessed with good health so far. Can't blame him for looking for something elsewhere.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The paper thin starting depth just got thinner.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

That's too bad. I really thought he had a chance to make some starts with the big league club to spell Leake. Hopefully he gets a shot to bounce back somewhere.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I understand him doing this, as it looks as if the Reds won't be needing another starter in the near future and he likely has an immediate chance elsewhere. The problem comes for the Reds if a starter goes down or becomes ineffective long-term. I'd be okay using Simon for a few spot starts or even Tomko for a short-term gig, but I don't want to see either of them, or anyone in Louisville, become a regular in the rotation. I hope Walt's looking into other options.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    The paper thin starting depth just got thinner.
    He wouldn't have been the first guy I would have called up anyways (at least in a situation where I couldn't choose my guy rather than picking the guy who was on the same schedule).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He wouldn't have been the first guy I would have called up anyways (at least in a situation where I couldn't choose my guy rather than picking the guy who was on the same schedule).
    So who would be that guy?

Too bad, I liked Francis. Best of luck to him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wonder if he doesn't end up back with the Rockies. That's where he's had his success and their rotation isn't anything to write home about.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    So who would be that guy?
    Villarreal.

Turn Off Ads?