Turn Off Ads?

Thread: what if the reds went out and got 2 ace pitchers

what if the reds went out and got 2 ace pitchers

What if the reds went out and got 2 ace pitchers but had to give up votto and alonzo plus others to get them would you do it? Say the deals would be this.

SF get Votto Heisey and Stubbs
    Reds get Lincecum Belt and a prospect

then

Dodgers get Alonso Grandel Corcico Volquez and Bailey
    Reds get Kershaw

Now it might take more to get Kershaw and I would probly give up more to get him but I would make those deals in a heart beat. I think it would be a good start for the dodger deal though.

why is BP batting 4th

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: what if the reds went out and got 2 ace pitchers

Dealing Votto AND Alonso for people who will only impact 1/5 of the games (at best)? No.

One or the other may be trade bait, but not both.

pitching wins and if you had a rotation of

Lincecum
    Kershaw
    Cueto
    Leake
    Chapman/Arroyo/Wood

would be the best in baseball and with all due respect you would win alot of games if you had a lineup full of Paul Janish's with that staff. Plus you would still have chips to trade to get the offense you need

why is BP batting 4th

plus Francisco and Belt could play 1st

why is BP batting 4th

If pitching equals wins, then why have Seattle and Oakland struggled to win the last couple years? It takes a combination of pitching and offense (with some defense and luck thrown in the mix) to equate to a successful season. You can't rob Peter to pay Paul.

Edit: How would your projected starting lineup look like? Who would be on the bench? What would you do as far as depth in the event a player gets injured? Acquiring the two players in the trades you suggested would extremely limit all of those.. Jus' Sayin'
    Last edited by Nathan; 11-12-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Better than double posting. Adding to my thought.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

I'm not a man of many words. Read my posts, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people are Optimists (They see the glass 1/2 full).
    Others are Pessimists (They see the glass 1/2 empty).
    Me, I'm a Realist. 1/2 empty IS 1/2 full.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

This is your lineup:

2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Zack Cozart
    RF Jay Bruce
    3B Juan Francisco
    1B Brandon Belt
    LF Todd Frazier
    C Devin Mesoraco
    CF Dave Sappelt

C'mon, man!

As much fun as it would be to see Kershaw and Lincecum on the same staff, I'm inclined to agree with the poster above that you'd simply be sacrificing too much offense with those proposed deals. You'd have major question marks at LF, CF, 3B, and even 1B, given Belt's struggles in the majors this year. Also, Lincecum and Kershaw are going to get very expensive very soon, so it's not like the team would necessarily be able to address those question marks through free agency.

welcome to the giants

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    What if the reds went out and got 2 ace pitchers but had to give up votto and alonzo plus others to get them would you do it? Say the deals would be this.

SF get Votto Heisey and Stubbs
    Reds get Lincecum Belt and a prospect

then

Dodgers get Alonso Grandel Corcico Volquez and Bailey
    Reds get Kershaw

Now it might take more to get Kershaw and I would probly give up more to get him but I would make those deals in a heart beat. I think it would be a good start for the dodger deal though.
    Redreporter.com has posted the rumor of Kershaw to Cincinnati for the players you mentioned except Corcico. I doubt the Lincecum trade proposal would come to friution, but it is an interesting thought.

Trade #1 No way, Trade # 2 and I would pull the trigger if a good multi year contract could be worked out with Kershaw

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    pitching wins and if you had a rotation of...
    I don't feel like watching the Reds lose a bunch of 0-1 games (or even win 1-0 games), once their offense has been stripped of all of its dependability.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Redreporter.com has posted the rumor of Kershaw to Cincinnati for the players you mentioned except Corcico. I doubt the Lincecum trade proposal would come to friution, but it is an interesting thought.
    It was posted explicitly as "fake news" on Redsreporter...not sure why they have such a section, but I guess they do. Though I'd love to see it happen, I doubt the Reds would get that lucky.
    Last edited by KYRedLeg; 11-12-2011 at 12:50 PM.

the offense would still produce plus like i said there are still enough chips to go out and get other players

why is BP batting 4th

1b Belt/Francisco
    2b Phillips
    SS Cozart
    3b Rolen/Francisco
    Rf Bruce
    Cf TBD
    Lf TBD/Frazier
    C Hannigan/Mesoraco

coco crisp or grady sizemore could be picked up on the cheap

why is BP batting 4th

I would not want grady sizemore. he needs to stay in the A.L. so he can DH because his legs will not let him play CF everyday. and if we did get him i would like to see the over/under on games played for him. I'm saying no more than 100. IMHO however I would LOVE to see this team get James Shields. Lincecum and/or Kershaw would be amazing, but Shields is much more affordable and would fit this team. He's a very intense competitor and eats up innings and stays healthy for the most part)

2012 Rotation
    Shields
    Cueto
    Leake
    Bailey(I still see Bailey as having good upside..maybe this is the year he"figures it out")
    Arroyo

I would be thrilled with that rotation coming out of spring training.(CMON WALT and get it done)

shields would give up a ton of homeruns as a red. I don't know why everyone is so up on him

why is BP batting 4th

Turn Off Ads?