Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If they played Saturday, UK would probably dominate. They are playing as good as anyone right now, and Ohio State is shaky. Come tournament time, the tables could be turned.
    I must admit, traderumor, I do not prescribe to this theory. When you're talking teams as overall talented as UK and OSU, it doesn't take a long period of time for them to "snap back into form." If OSU were to face UK this weekend, we would get not only your best shot, but a well-played shot as well, I have no doubt. A team of OSU or UK's caliber can turn it around in a half of a ball game, or even come out that way after looking horrible in the game beforehand.

That's why OSU is one of about 3 teams I hope UK does not have to face before the Final Four.

And I continue to have the utmost respect for Thad Matta, who I think is a great coach in this modern era.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It'd be Sullinger and Jones, with Davis coming over the top. Kentucky stands players up by playing strong with their lower body. Help defense comes over the top to block the shots.

The only time that any big scores is when Jones gets beat or Davis is late getting to his spot. (Or that big is able to score over/ through/ around Davis and Jones.)
    Who would Davis guard? They play man to man don't they? If Davis is coming over the top it would mean he would be on Thomas who can play on the perimeter and I would imagine that Sullinger would be isolated on Jones if UK played it that way. Davis definately has the legnth to get to Sullinger but if Sullinger can get into him and get a few whistles it would change the game.

Just thinking about a potential matchup, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I must admit, traderumor, I do not prescribe to this theory. When you're talking teams as overall talented as UK and OSU, it doesn't take a long period of time for them to "snap back into form." If OSU were to face UK this weekend, we would get not only your best shot, but a well-played shot as well, I have no doubt. A team of OSU or UK's caliber can turn it around in a half of a ball game, or even come out that way after looking horrible in the game beforehand.

That's why OSU is one of about 3 teams I hope UK does not have to face before the Final Four.

And I continue to have the utmost respect for Thad Matta, who I think is a great coach in this modern era.
    Your theory was tested against Michigan St., and they fell flat on their face. While I get what you're saying, it wasn't that Ohio St. didn't give their best shot, so they played poorly in their worst game of the year in one of the biggest games of the year for acheiving a team goal (win the conference).

Their shooting was still not good Tuesday, except for Buford. Thomas and Smith can't hit the proverbial bull with a handful of nails, which is where I'm coming from. UK is bludgeoning folks right now, I don't expect them to play at that level all season. My history lessons tell me that the February peak can be deadly for the tournament grind.

A season ebbs and flows, and even the best of the best go through struggles, which currently OSU is not playing their best, primarily due to poor shooting, which is also an achilles heel of this team that I don't see being fixable this season. With that said, maybe they'll get hot in the tournament and Thomas and Smith will start hitting shots again. If not, I look for another disappointing Regional semis bow out.

With all that said, how about an OSU/UK NC game? That would be a fun game and would signal that both teams are at the top of their game if they made it that far.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Who would Davis guard? They play man to man don't they? If Davis is coming over the top it would mean he would be on Thomas who can play on the perimeter and I would imagine that Sullinger would be isolated on Jones if UK played it that way. Davis definately has the legnth to get to Sullinger but if Sullinger can get into him and get a few whistles it would change the game.

Just thinking about a potential matchup, thats all.
    Kentucky doesn't play anyone straight up. They help in the lane on anyone with the ball, usually with a big (Davis or Jones). The guards or forwards shoot the gaps looking for steals of rebounding alleys.

As to who Davis would guard, because Kentucky switches on pretty much all screens, he can (and has) guarded everyone from the center to the point guard. And he can do it all. He's the best defensive college basketball has seen in at least a decade, IMO.

I'm guessing Calipari would start them off:

Jones -- Sullinger
    Davis -- Thomas
    Kidd-Gilchrist -- Buford
    Lamb -- Smith
    Teague -- Craft

Kidd-Gilchrist might switch to Craft if his drives prove effective. That would move Teague to Smith and Lamb to Buford.

The score was a lot closer than that game. Ohio St. was totally outplayed. I guess if you're going to have a team shooting slump, have it in February.

Buford is one of THE most frustrating players in recent history for Ohio St. He is probably the difference maker in making this team Final Four material and he is still all or nothing from game to game.

But, I'm smelling another Regional Semis bow out and hearing about all the talent Matta's recruiting. My kingdom for a shooter.

I didn't see much of he game, but what I did see made me glad I watch more NBA basketball than college.

It's atrocious to watch college basketball. It's just a horrible quality of ball. And why can't this team put Ross on the floor? What would it hurt at this point? Just bad, bad basketball to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    It's atrocious to watch college basketball. It's just a horrible quality of ball. And why can't this team put Ross on the floor? What would it hurt at this point? Just bad, bad basketball to watch.
    I disagree. I found the X-UD game and the St. Mary's-Murray game quite entertaining.

I don't understand why so many college teams have adopted this half court slow down slug it out style. Especially against a team like Michigan. The best way to beat a zone is to not let it set up. Beat it down the floor in transition.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I can't remember the last time I saw a team homered that badly by the refs. It doesn't excuse the Buckeyes godawful shooting at all, but some of those offensive foul calls were downright embarrassing.

It's atrocious to watch college basketball.
    As opposed to disinterested pros who play a glorified game of one-on-one where eight players on the court sit back and watch the two token "stars" go at it in a game totally devoid of strategy and where the first three-and-a-half quarters are borderline irrelevant.

All this in front of half-dead crowds who wear suits to the game and need to be encouraged to chant "de-fense" by some computerized rhythmic beat?

Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    As opposed to disinterested pros who play a glorified game of one-on-one where eight players on the court sit back and watch the two token "stars" go at it in a game totally devoid of strategy and where the first three-and-a-half quarters are borderline irrelevant.

All this in front of half-dead crowds who wear suits to the game and need to be encouraged to chant "de-fense" by some computerized rhythmic beat?

Yuck.
    This pretty much sums it up for me. I try to watch an NBA game now and then, and I love hoops, but the game just drones on, in each city there's some PA announcer elongating some guys' name, and it is difficult to stay interested.

I mean, if you like the NBA great, I used to watch it in the late 70s and early 80s regularly, but as hoops goes, it is probably the least interesting of all the levels. I'd rather watch a local youth game if given the choice.

He got a late start for one thing. Hard to catch a guy up in the middle of a conference schedule. While I would like to see a few more guys in the rotation, Matta is usually proven right when a guy is called on that hasn't gotten much playing time. It is usually apparent why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I can't remember the last time I saw a team homered that badly by the refs. It doesn't excuse the Buckeyes godawful shooting at all, but some of those offensive foul calls were downright embarrassing.
    I heard pretty much the same thing. I didn't really expect OSU to win that game. Michigan has a good team and is playing in their biggest marquee game in a number of years. That loss really doesn't change my view on OSU at all. They have the talent to win it all, they just need to get on a roll. I would rather have them begin to peak heading into the tournament rather than peaking at the B1G conference tournament which they have in the past couple of years.

Ohio State couldn't shoot, true. Worse, they looked slow and unathletic. Perhaps it's the time of year or the grind of the Big Ten, or the February blahs, but the Buckeyes looked two steps behind all night.

That's not referee whistles-- that's a tired team. Or one that's exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Ohio State couldn't shoot, true. Worse, they looked slow and unathletic. Perhaps it's the time of year or the grind of the Big Ten, or the February blahs, but the Buckeyes looked two steps behind all night.

That's not referee whistles-- that's a tired team. Or one that's exposed.
    Just shooting bad as a team. One guy a night hitting, the rest are shooting bricks. It will get better, its their weakness but its not this bad.

Turn Off Ads?