Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

I'm not a WVU fan, but you guys are going to have a fight in this one if they beat Gonzaga in the opening round.

WVU playing in Pittsburgh (an hour and a half outside of Morgantown), might as well be a home game for the Mountaineers. WVU is also the type of team that is capable of beating anybody and losing to anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That was a great game overall. Bucks just couldn't hit the shots down the stretch. Buford's 3 was halfway down. Frustrating.
    It's too bad Sullinger was in foul trouble. Same with Craft. That was the major difference.
    It was probably the best game I watched over the weekend. It almost looked like a football game out there the way the refs were letting them play. I thought at several junctures in the game someone was going to get hurt or they were going to get into a fight. I don't really take anything negative from that game. They aren't going to be forced to play 3 games in less than 36 hours again.

I liked the draw for OSU. Gonzaga or WVU really don't scare me in the 2nd round (sorry WVRed). I wasn't really pleased with FSU being the #3 seed but I don't really dislike that matchup. They play more of a Big 10 style of baksetball, a brusing type of basketball. But yea after the first two rounds you can throw seeding out the window.

Final 4

Tie breaker to the Buckeyes for best team in the Big 10/12

Syracuse could not defend the Buckeyes without fouling. Four or five of the Buckeyes fouls were phantom fouls. Sullinger's 2nd, never touched him, Craft's 5th foul, never touched the guy. Probably my favorite was when the Syracuse shooter dove with his shoulder three feet into Buford, who was playing off, had hands straight up, in the act of shooting to initiate contact with a stationary defender and get an and one out of the deal. That was special.

My game ball goes to Lenzelle Smith, Jr. He was the difference maker they need each game. Sully and Thomas will do their thing, its up to one of Craft/Buford/Smith to push them over the top, good enough to beat anyone in the country.

But probably key to this victory was the two headed big man that played 13 minutes of good interior basketball and got the Buckeyes to half time tied--Ravenal and Williams. Those two were capable fill-ins that took 13 minutes off the clock, keeping the game close, while the best player on either team sat.

Thou Baldhead Boeheim, hopefully the last game he ever coaches. Maybe he'll know what is going on in his program when his bosses have the "thank you for your many years of service. Retire or fire?" meeting this offseason. Could someone please explain to me why Jardine was on the bench during most of the last two minutes of the season, when his offense was desparately needed to forge a comeback? I thought he had fouled out. Why was he sitting?
    Last edited by traderumor; 03-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Final Four for Ohio State! Go Bucks!

This team always had to get this far for this season to be considered a success. A few weeks ago I wasnt sure they could do it. I think the last two Michigan St games really toughened this team and got them ready for this run.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    This team always had to get this far for this season to be considered a success. A few weeks ago I wasnt sure they could do it. I think the last two Michigan St games really toughened this team and got them ready for this run.
    I agree. Back in December, I felt they were the best team in the country. But somewhere in B1G season season the machine started mis-firing. I cant put a finger on when that actually happened but it did. After home losses to MSU and Wisky I was ready to stick a fork in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I agree. Back in December, I felt they were the best team in the country. But somewhere in B1G season season the machine started mis-firing. I cant put a finger on when that actually happened but it did. After home losses to MSU and Wisky I was ready to stick a fork in them.
    The BIG was talented and deep and you really couldn't take a day off in that league. Their second half of the BIG schedule was backloaded with talent. OSU had Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU twice within the last 3 weeks of the season. You can't play those teams when you are "off" and I think they went through a tough patch where they weren't playing great and the schedule picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The BIG was talented and deep and you really couldn't take a day off in that league. Their second half of the BIG schedule was backloaded with talent. OSU had Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU twice within the last 3 weeks of the season. You can't play those teams when you are "off" and I think they went through a tough patch where they weren't playing great and the schedule picked up.

I will agree with ya. Maybe that Illinois loss coupled with scedule did something. I think that alot of fans that dont follow the B1G really dont know how tough it was. Some dont realize that Michigan got beat by Iowa. Heck, if they would have won that game they would have been regular season champs. Wisconsin got swept by Iowa. Purdue got whacked at Penn State. IU got beat at Nebraska. Tough and strange year to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    From what I am reading about "worst practice team ever" and some other comments of Matta's, that this team has some maturity issues. Of course, with one senior who is short on leadership skills and a bunch of freshman and sophomore McDonald's All-Americans, go figure, huh?

I think that was the source of the slump, some immaturity that led to getting away from doing things on the floor that made them good, and players getting selfish.

They played bad in the tourney opener against Loyola, similar to the slump, and I had them falling to Gonzaga. Then I read where the starters pow wowed after their Friday practice, came together, and I think that turned the corner.

I'm hoping in the Final 4 that the ever quiet Buford catches fire as the 3rd offensive threat, and I'd like their chances against anyone, even Kentucky, assuming Thomas and Sullinger continue to do their thing.

BTW, I think Buford is a silent assassin, ever dangerous, but very quiet, unassuming, sometimes to a fault, gets picked on relentlessly because of false expectations, and is enjoying the winning in a different way than people understand. He was all smiles after the win Saturday in a way that said he is about team more than himself, and while he was not a big producer, I think he gets more grief than he deserves.
    Last edited by traderumor; 03-26-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    From what I am reading about "worst practice team ever" and some other comments of Matta's, that this team has some maturity issues. Of course, with one senior who is short on leadership skills and a bunch of freshman and sophomore McDonald's All-Americans, go figure, huh?

I think that was the source of the slump, some immaturity that led to getting away from doing things on the floor that made them good, and players getting selfish.

They played bad in the tourney opener against Loyola, similar to the slump, and I had them falling to Gonzaga. Then I read where the starters pow wowed after their Friday practice, came together, and I think that turned the corner.

I'm hoping in the Final 4 that the ever quiet Buford catches fire as the 3rd offensive threat, and I'd like their chances against anyone, even Kentucky, assuming Thomas and Sullinger continue to do their thing.

Sullinger's "cool guy" quote was very telling. I guess it's good they are self aware they don't put forward full effort sometimes. Easier to fix and it seems they have for the most part.

I think they can and should beat Kansas. It will be another tough game, but OSU is playing better and has more talent. I keep waiting for the William Buford 23/9/4 game. He only has two games (hopefully) left and it would be great if he could find it before it's too late.

I think the turning point with OSU this season was the Northwestern win. They hadn't been playing great but really hadn't been playing bad. They had been in few close games but always seemed to end up losing late in the game. Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan all came down to a possession or two in which OSU lost late. The Northwestern game they allowed a lead to disappear but won late. It was the first time all season in which they really won a close game. Couple that victory with the MSU comeback win solidifying a 2 seed and it gave them a sign of relief and enabled them to go on their current run.

Agree bucksfan2. As for the Kansas game, this seems like a similar matchup to Syracuse in the sense that the Buckeyes are just a tick better talent wise and if both teams play good, the Buckeyes win by a nose.

Ranking the Final Four, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, Louisville. I'm hoping for an Ohio win and a Louisville upset. There will be no shame in taking the championship by avoiding Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Agree bucksfan2. As for the Kansas game, this seems like a similar matchup to Syracuse in the sense that the Buckeyes are just a tick better talent wise and if both teams play good, the Buckeyes win by a nose.

Ranking the Final Four, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, Louisville. I'm hoping for an Ohio win and a Louisville upset. There will be no shame in taking the championship by avoiding Kentucky
    LOL..........no there is not at all! Sometimes it is just better to be lucky than good.

Go Bucks!

Well poopy. Lose to Kansas or lose to UK?

Every year, only one team's fans in any sport don't go home disappointed every season. There is no fun way to lose a close game and there are always "if only's" abounding when you're on the short end.

Turn Off Ads?