Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I can't remember the last time I saw Duke handled so easily. Coach K played some odd combinations. I almost got the feeling he treated it as a pre-season game and played a lot of guys to let them know how far they need to go to get ready for the ACC and the NCAAs.
    The last time they got worked over like that was all the way back in March 2011. Arizona absolutely dismantled them in the 2nd half when they played in the NCAAs.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310830150

That, too, was a glorious thing to behold.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    The last time they got worked over like that was all the way back in March 2011. Arizona absolutely dismantled them in the 2nd half when they played in the NCAAs.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310830150

That, too, was a glorious thing to behold.
    Oh yeah? Well Chris Paul was at the game when K got 903 rooting for Duke. That has to sting.

I'm just messing with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You don't think 14-15 additional voters will put Ohio State No. 1 in their polls this week after a 22-point win against media darling Duke? I realize this is a silly debate, but I'll make a friendly wager just for the sake of bragging rights... unless UK outright blitzes Carolina this weekend, Ohio State will overtake them in the poll
    IF Kentucky beats St. Johns and UNC, there's no way OSU overtakes UK in the polls. St. Johns is highly thought of and UNC is clearly in that upper tier of superior programs this season.

Duke is not. (Not enough athleticism at key spots.)

This is not to say OSU shouldn't be the top team. Just that they wouldn't be number one if Kentucky stays unbeaten through Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    You don't think 14-15 additional voters will put Ohio State No. 1 in their polls this week after a 22-point win against media darling Duke? I realize this is a silly debate, but I'll make a friendly wager just for the sake of bragging rights... unless UK outright blitzes Carolina this weekend, Ohio State will overtake them in the poll
    I'm more worried about how Kentucky stacks up against UNC early on. Of course, UK has home-court advantage, but I still think its a close game based on matchups. My feeling is UK loses and its a moot point, especially with a young team trying to hold onto the no 1 ranking.

Ohio State beat an overrated Duke team on their home court. If anything, it should show the talent disparity past UK-OSU-UNC-UConn.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    IF Kentucky beats St. Johns and UNC, there's no way OSU overtakes UK in the polls. St. Johns is highly thought of and UNC is clearly in that upper tier of superior programs this season.

Duke is not. (Not enough athleticism at key spots.)

This is not to say OSU shouldn't be the top team. Just that they wouldn't be number one if Kentucky stays unbeaten through Sunday.
    St. John's is a mess right now and are without Steve Lavin. They just lost to Northeastern by 14 points at home. Beating them isn't a feather in anyone's cap.

ESPN's fan nation poll has Ohio State getting 55% of the vote as to who should be No. 1 (Kentucky is getting 33%). The AP writers will probably fall in line with that kind of ratio.

People are downplaying Duke, and that's fine and all, but after the way UNC got beat up against UNLV, people are being highly presumptuous that Ohio State won't pick up a little over a dozen of UK's first place votes. It's very likely.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm more worried about how Kentucky stacks up against UNC early on. Of course, UK has home-court advantage, but I still think its a close game based on matchups. My feeling is UK loses and its a moot point, especially with a young team trying to hold onto the no 1 ranking.

Ohio State beat an overrated Duke team on their home court. If anything, it should show the talent disparity past UK-OSU-UNC-UConn.
    I don't think Duke is overrated, to be honest. They were rated probably about where they should have been given the way the season has gone (although I think Florida is a bit better).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Then let's make a sig bet, Brutus.

I've got me sig on the following: if Kentucky beats UNC and St. Johns (two fairly large if's, IMO), they'll stay number one, no matter how they beat UNC and St. Johns, with OSU number two.

Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Then let's make a sig bet, Brutus.

I've got me sig on the following: if Kentucky beats UNC and St. Johns (two fairly large if's, IMO), they'll stay number one, no matter how they beat UNC and St. Johns, with OSU number two.

Deal?
    I'm game under one qualifier: that Kentucky doesn't beat UNC by double-digits. If they win by 10 points or more, I think voters will be inclined to keep them at the top spot.

So yeah I'm game on that bet if Kentucky beats St. John's and UNC by <10.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't think it's hyperbole (although my brother does lol) and it's no knock on Sullinger. I think Craft is THAT important. What do the Billy Donovans of Coach Ks of the world say after they play OSU? They rave about Craft. Not just the way he runs the offense, but his defensive intensity. Whoever he's guarding, eliminate them from the game. Sullinger is a very good player, but defensively, he's not that great. Craft may be the best perimeter defender in the nation. Factor in the way he runs the offense, if I had to pick one of the guys tomorrow to start my team with, I take Craft.

Clearly that opinion is in the minority, but I feel strongly about it. Jared is a stud. But guys in the post with length are gonna give him all kinds of problems, as UK did last year.
    I'm not sure I understand how Craft getting rave reviews from opposing coaches makes him "the most important player on the team," which is your premise. That simply doesn't follow. You really don't have to go any farther than understanding the defensive attention that Sullinger gets to win the day in this discussion. I think if they lost either, they are going to slip from elite to very good immediately.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how Craft getting rave reviews from opposing coaches makes him "the most important player on the team," which is your premise. That simply doesn't follow. You really don't have to go any farther than understanding the defensive attention that Sullinger gets to win the day in this discussion. I think if they lost either, they are going to slip from elite to very good immediately.
    I see it as Sullinger is certainly the best player on the team. If he went down there are enough other good players that they could change how they play and probably still be a Final 4 team.

If Craft goes down I think they are screwed. His backup cannot begin to replace what Craft does. Maybe they could figure it out, but I wouldn't be as comfortable.

Now hopefully we don't have to worry about it and they can both continue being awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I see it as Sullinger is certainly the best player on the team. If he went down there are enough other good players that they could change how they play and probably still be a Final 4 team.

If Craft goes down I think they are screwed. His backup cannot begin to replace what Craft does. Maybe they could figure it out, but I wouldn't be as comfortable.

Now hopefully we don't have to worry about it and they can both continue being awesome.
    No way are they a Final Four team on paper without Sullinger. I say on paper because the Final Four rarely has the 4 best teams in the field. Craft and Sullinger returning are why they are so good. One goes down, they're no longer in the same league as the big boys like UK, UNC, Duke, and probably even Wisconsin. Their supporting staff is too young and inexperienced to pick up that much slack.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    No way are they a Final Four team on paper without Sullinger. I say on paper because the Final Four rarely has the 4 best teams in the field. Craft and Sullinger returning are why they are so good. One goes down, they're no longer in the same league as the big boys like UK, UNC, Duke, and probably even Wisconsin. Their supporting staff is too young and inexperienced to pick up that much slack.
    Disagree. A team of Craft, Buford and Thomas is still very good. They would play differently that they do now, but still very good.

Apparently we are going to find out how good because Sullinger has a back injury and is out for the game tomorrow and possibly longer.

Back spasms. Will miss tomorrow against UTPA, and questionable against Kansas, but not likely out for a significant amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Disagree. A team of Craft, Buford and Thomas is still very good. They would play differently that they do now, but still very good.

Apparently we are going to find out how good because Sullinger has a back injury and is out for the game tomorrow and possibly longer.
    We don't disagree on "very good." You originally said they are still a Final Four team, and that is different than saying "very good."

Ewwwww. Maybe all of my talk in this regard has jinxed Sully, so I'll stop. Get healthy soon!

Turn Off Ads?