Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Good bounce back for the Bucks. Still shooting some bricks, I've said since game 1 that outside shooting was this team's clear weakness. It was better tonight, but mostly Buford.

But all things considered, I think they played a good, solid road game and kept Minnesota from ever truly getting within striking distance.

Matta going from one extreme to the other, using a lot of guys in the first half. I thought that they played very well tonight, hope to see more of that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

nm
    Last edited by WMR; 02-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Good bounce back for the Bucks. Still shooting some bricks, I've said since game 1 that outside shooting was this team's clear weakness. It was better tonight, but mostly Buford.

But all things considered, I think they played a good, solid road game and kept Minnesota from ever truly getting within striking distance.

Matta going from one extreme to the other, using a lot of guys in the first half. I thought that they played very well tonight, hope to see more of that.
    Last night gives me hope for the remainder of the season. Its also why they are a dangerous team. They didn't play their best yet they beat a decent team in a tough arena.

Minnesota did better when they went to the zone but the reality was OSU was missing wide open 3's. Guys who can knock them down were just off. Bufford, Thomas, and Smith Jr. got their fair share of wide open shots but jus missed. Bufford always leaves me scratching my head, guy is such a pure shooter but will miss wide open shots in rhythm but nail the tough shots. His fade away before the end of the 1st half was a great shot.

I think what last night showed is they can beat the vast majority of teams when they are off. It will take Bufford and Thomas to get hot to carry them to New Orleans, that or a Duke-esque draw.

What are your thoughts on Dan Dakish as an announcer. I think he is good but man is he critical. I sure wouldn't want to play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Last night gives me hope for the remainder of the season. Its also why they are a dangerous team. They didn't play their best yet they beat a decent team in a tough arena.

Minnesota did better when they went to the zone but the reality was OSU was missing wide open 3's. Guys who can knock them down were just off. Bufford, Thomas, and Smith Jr. got their fair share of wide open shots but jus missed. Bufford always leaves me scratching my head, guy is such a pure shooter but will miss wide open shots in rhythm but nail the tough shots. His fade away before the end of the 1st half was a great shot.

I think what last night showed is they can beat the vast majority of teams when they are off. It will take Bufford and Thomas to get hot to carry them to New Orleans, that or a Duke-esque draw.

What are your thoughts on Dan Dakish as an announcer. I think he is good but man is he critical. I sure wouldn't want to play for him.
    Dakich I liked in small doses, but now hearing him call almost every OSU game makes me really miss Bill Hosket. My main complaint is that pointing out each and every misstep is what coaches do, but you got to tone that down when your doing commentary. I wish they'd switch him out for Bob Knight, who mixes in praise and criticism, with most of the criticism being "what would have been a better thing to do" rather than "did you see that mistake?"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I think it's probably easier to point out mistakes than to pinpoint what went right.

That said, I'm never as sensitive to announcers good or bad as most people. An announcer has to go way out of his way to annoy me but it's also really rare that I hear something I hadn't already thought of.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think it's probably easier to point out mistakes than to pinpoint what went right.

That said, I'm never as sensitive to announcers good or bad as most people. An announcer has to go way out of his way to annoy me but it's also really rare that I hear something I hadn't already thought of.
    OSU has had Dakich for the past 3-4 games, and a number of times prior to that. It was obvious at first that he didn't really care for OSU and considering that he went to IU it doesn't bother me. It just got a little tiring of hearing out good the opponent was and how bad OSU was playing. But as the season has gone along I actually have liked listening to him. He brings some good insight to the games but man is he ever critical.

It gets tiring to hear how they turned it over twice in that possession, or constant negative aspects of the game being played. When he is at his best he does a very good job of describing things, when he is at his worst he is like a nagging wife. I like guys like Bilas (when not doing Duke), Kellogg, Dykes, and Raftery. Its alright to call the game like you see it, but give some credit to the guys playing and the men coaching once in a while.

I hadn't watched an OSU game in a while and I though Dakich was a bit harsh. It didn't bother me, but I thought there was some old-style Bob Knight peeking through.

Too bad OSU doesn't have a shot blocker. Lots of under the basket open looks for the Golden Gophers last night. I'm afraid the Buckeyes will have difficulty against long teams like UK and Syracuse (along with everyone else in the country).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I hadn't watched an OSU game in a while and I though Dakich was a bit harsh. It didn't bother me, but I thought there was some old-style Bob Knight peeking through.

Too bad OSU doesn't have a shot blocker. Lots of under the basket open looks for the Golden Gophers last night. I'm afraid the Buckeyes will have difficulty against long teams like UK and Syracuse (along with everyone else in the country).

Amir Williams has recorded 19 blocks in 157 minutes. Why isn't he playing more often?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Amir Williams has recorded 19 blocks in 157 minutes. Why isn't he playing more often?
    Who is he going to replace? Sullinger and Thomas guard the bigs and they are two guys you need in there for offense. Ravenel is the 1st big guy off the bench.

Williams is a good player but he is young and not very good on D.

A match up against UK would be very interesting to see Sullinger and Davis do battle. I would want to see what happens when Sully gets his body into Davis. But I do agree with the poster above that OSU will struggle with a legnthy team. But then again they have the key components for a run, PG(Craft), Big Guy(Sullinger), Scorer(Bufford), and Wild Card (Thomas)

It'd be Sullinger and Jones, with Davis coming over the top. Kentucky stands players up by playing strong with their lower body. Help defense comes over the top to block the shots.

The only time that any big scores is when Jones gets beat or Davis is late getting to his spot. (Or that big is able to score over/ through/ around Davis and Jones.)

I think when the season is over, Thad's biggest regret will be not force feeding Williams minutes (at the expense of Ravenel) in the pre-Big 10 part of the schedule. Ravenel has given OSU relatively nothing with his minutes during Big 10 play. It's too late now, but I believe had Thad played Williams 10-15 minutes from Day 1 that Williams would be a solid third post.

Sully will be lucky to hit double digits in points against Davis. Davis isn't just a good defender, he's DOMINANT. And Sully struggles with length. I think a UK-OSU matchup would get pretty ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Sully will be lucky to hit double digits in points against Davis. Davis isn't just a good defender, he's DOMINANT. And Sully struggles with length. I think a UK-OSU matchup would get pretty ugly.
    Since Sullinger has made his jumper more a part of his game, that might be a good time to use it.

As far as the matchup "getting ugly," UK is pretty good, but the SEC hasn't really provided a whole lot of competition in a "men against boys" kind of way. UK may also be having the dreaded February peak. Don't get me wrong, they are looking very dominant right now, but I wonder how much is their dominance vs. the SEC being weak this year?

IMO, UK could easily beat OSU. On the other hand, OSU could easily beat UK. I would call a rematch of last year's Sweet 16 a pick em this year with perhaps a slight advantage to Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    IMO, UK could easily beat OSU. On the other hand, OSU could easily beat UK. I would call a rematch of last year's Sweet 16 a pick em this year with perhaps a slight advantage to Kentucky.
    If they played Saturday, UK would probably dominate. They are playing as good as anyone right now, and Ohio State is shaky. Come tournament time, the tables could be turned.

Turn Off Ads?