Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Re: 2011-2012 Buckeyes Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Just thought it was funny you were so adamant about something that, in fact, never happened.

BTW: Question for you Buckeye fans: Which team do you think is going to be better overall, last year's team or this year's team?
    You've never been adamant about something that never happened? It just seems like poor form to go in and crow about something you took no stance about ahead of time. I'm sure if someone were motivated to go through the archives they could find plenty of 'misses' for anyone, yourself included.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought there was a bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm game under one qualifier: that Kentucky doesn't beat UNC by double-digits. If they win by 10 points or more, I think voters will be inclined to keep them at the top spot.

So yeah I'm game on that bet if Kentucky beats St. John's and UNC by <10.
    I offered. I thought you accepted.

But it doesn't really matter, I suppose.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 12-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I thought there was a bet.

I offered. I thought you accepted.

But it doesn't really matter, I suppose.
    I said I'd only do it if it were under those qualifiers. You never said it was acceptable nor did we discuss terms (length, mainly). I never took that to be acceptance of any bet.

I have no problems admitting I was wrong... just don't see how that construed a bet since you never answered my follow-up.

I think it's comical that others (not you, obviously) are trying to get involved in wanting me to eat crow for something, after the fact, they never took a stance on.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Hopefully getting the chance to see what the Buckeyes look like without Sullinger will end all the talk of Craft being the most important player on the team.

I imagine that will help the Buckeyes as a team, but it was difficult to watch. Kansas looks like a very easy team to dislike. Self has always been smug and is only moreso in that place, Robinson is the kind of player that comes to mind when we were discussing the merits of Sullinger, lots of flash, not a whole lot of substance. He also was running his mouth at a Freshman the whole game, classy. The point guard doesn't take care of the ball. Not one of the better versions of Kansas.

As for the Buckeyes, my biggest concern for this team is the ability to shoot the ball. In both games without Sullinger, they have shot under 40% from the field. Buford can shoot, but he is inconsistent and seems to disappear to often over the course of his career. DeShaun Thomas may be the key to how deep the Bucks go this year. He seems to be the best option we have outside of Craft, Sullinger and Buford to make the offense Final Four class. But I am worried that we do not have enough balance on offense, which we saw some of that today. And the D today was atrocious. Maybe Sullinger is a better defender than I thought.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Hopefully getting the chance to see what the Buckeyes look like without Sullinger will end all the talk of Craft being the most important player on the team.

I imagine that will help the Buckeyes as a team, but it was difficult to watch. Kansas looks like a very easy team to dislike. Self has always been smug and is only moreso in that place, Robinson is the kind of player that comes to mind when we were discussing the merits of Sullinger, lots of flash, not a whole lot of substance. He also was running his mouth at a Freshman the whole game, classy. The point guard doesn't take care of the ball. Not one of the better versions of Kansas.

As for the Buckeyes, my biggest concern for this team is the ability to shoot the ball. In both games without Sullinger, they have shot under 40% from the field. Buford can shoot, but he is inconsistent and seems to disappear to often over the course of his career. DeShaun Thomas may be the key to how deep the Bucks go this year. He seems to be the best option we have outside of Craft, Sullinger and Buford to make the offense Final Four class. But I am worried that we do not have enough balance on offense, which we saw some of that today. And the D today was atrocious. Maybe Sullinger is a better defender than I thought.
    You're right, the inability to shoot kills them. I was taking nothing away from Sullinger when I argued that we could withstand his loss better than Craft's, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case. But still, I think you can take some positives away from this game. Even without Sully, they were into the game until nearly the end. That's what sloppy D, turnovers, and not being able to shoot. If we play them later in the year on a neutral court with Sully we'll smash them.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    You're right, the inability to shoot kills them. I was taking nothing away from Sullinger when I argued that we could withstand his loss better than Craft's, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case. But still, I think you can take some positives away from this game. Even without Sully, they were into the game until nearly the end. That's what sloppy D, turnovers, and not being able to shoot. If we play them later in the year on a neutral court with Sully we'll smash them.
    I know you weren't, and I totally get the importance of the point guard. It also doesn't mean that as the team develops over the course of the year, that some new key guys won't step forward. But all things being equal right now, Sullinger and Craft symbiotically make the Buckeyes a legitimate favorite to be a Final Four team, whereby if you lose either, the team is very good, but not elite team.

DeShaun Thomas is really coming along though. That was the biggest positive I had. I also think in today's game, if Craft and Buford had got going earlier, it would have been a different game. They needed someone to give an unexpected performance today, and they just didn't get it.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I know you weren't, and I totally get the importance of the point guard. It also doesn't mean that as the team develops over the course of the year, that some new key guys won't step forward. But all things being equal right now, Sullinger and Craft symbiotically make the Buckeyes a legitimate favorite to be a Final Four team, whereby if you lose either, the team is very good, but not elite team.

DeShaun Thomas is really coming along though. That was the biggest positive I had. I also think in today's game, if Craft and Buford had got going earlier, it would have been a different game. They needed someone to give an unexpected performance today, and they just didn't get it.
    Agreed. Buford and Craft were nonexistent until late. I thought the team played hesitant and unsure of itself. Even beyond Sullinger's impact on the court racking up stats, I think he's also the emotional leader of that team. Just watching him on the bench and his interactions with his teammates, I became convinced they REALLY missed him on the court. Not just because of his play, but because of his leadership.

Thomas is looking really good so far this season. I think by the end of the year, this team will be straight up deadly. It's already, really, really good.

The Bucks could not get over the "hump" at any point in this game today. They would get it down to 4 or 6 and then give up a wide open 3 or easy shot to Robinson.

The perimeter D is what cost them the most today. Thomas has no clue how to play D on the pick an roll and simply is not even an average defensive player. He is very good on the offensive end but he gives up pretty much everything he scores on the defensive end.

Craft looked spent in the 2nd half today. He needs to have his minutes reduced from now until the B10 starts.

With that stuff said they still hung around in one of the toughest places to play in the country without their far and away best player. No one stepped up on the offensive end except Thomas and Buford and they did it in separate halves.

I really think LaQuinton Ross could end up being the key to this team if he is as good as everyone keeps saying. 6'8" SF who can shoot and post up. He will be a welcome addition.
    Matta = Really good

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    The Bucks could not get over the "hump" at any point in this game today. They would get it down to 4 or 6 and then give up a wide open 3 or easy shot to Robinson.

The perimeter D is what cost them the most today. Thomas has no clue how to play D on the pick an roll and simply is not even an average defensive player. He is very good on the offensive end but he gives up pretty much everything he scores on the defensive end.

Craft looked spent in the 2nd half today. He needs to have his minutes reduced from now until the B10 starts.

With that stuff said they still hung around in one of the toughest places to play in the country without their far and away best player. No one stepped up on the offensive end except Thomas and Buford and they did it in separate halves.

I really think LaQuinton Ross could end up being the key to this team if he is as good as everyone keeps saying. 6'8" SF who can shoot and post up. He will be a welcome addition.
    Yea, I'm anxious to see what the deal is with Ross. This was a pleasant surprise for me, didn't know they had another guy to add until reading about it this week.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Jared Sullinger was back in action tonight. 12 points and 10 boards in 25 minutes of action.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

DeShaun Thomas. That is all.

X-rays were negative today on Sullinger. Good news for OSU and every team in the 2012 NBA Draft Lottery.

Bad back, gimpy foot... looking a bit like Greg Oden, part deux.

He likely cost himself a boatload of money coming back to school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Bad back, gimpy foot... looking a bit like Greg Oden, part deux.

He likely cost himself a boatload of money coming back to school.
    None of those injuries will have any impact on his draft status. You're making mountains out of molehills...

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    None of those injuries will have any impact on his draft status. You're making mountains out of molehills...
    I agree. Unless Sullinger loses a leg this winter someone in the top handful of picks will select him. Kyrie Irving went #1 after playing only 11 games last year.

Turn Off Ads?