Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday 2011

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Black Friday 2011

It's a nightmare this year. My first and last ever Black Friday shop. I always said I'd never do it, and managed to hold out until now, and now I'm over it. I don't even want to play with my new gadget because I'm so disgusted with the experience. But, I guess I got a pretty sweet tablet for 250 bucks, but was it worth it? Not sure yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Seriously?

I Never go black friday shopping (unless I'm working retail) because I just don't think its worth nearly killing myself just to save a little bit of money. I'm not that frugal if theres something someone needs or wants I just get it when I can and not try and fight the stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Shopped on Amazon last night for Black Friday. Xbox 360 and a Kinect for $199. Didn't have to leave my house.

Also, amazon.com is still doing black friday sales. They have them for short periods of time, with new things coming out every hour. Some are listed and some are just teasers, but you might want to go over there and check them out.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm sitting at my desk auditing driver settlements for the week. I don't think I even want to be out today.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Does Wal Mart honor competitor's Black Friday specials? Seems like that might be a sneaky way to get some good buys. If they have the same items in stock that is.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Shopped on Amazon last night for Black Friday. Xbox 360 and a Kinect for $199. Didn't have to leave my house.
    They put it back up about 20 minutes ago and I was able to get it then after the one earlier disappeared nearly right after it started.
    Last edited by CTA513; 11-25-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    They put it back up about 20 minutes ago and I was able to get it then after the one earlier disappeared nearly right after it started.
    Was that the one with the $50 Amazon credit too? I saw it and honestly almost bought it. But decided to just keep my $200 and spend it on something else later.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Was that the one with the $50 Amazon credit too? I saw it and honestly almost bought it. But decided to just keep my $200 and spend it on something else later.
    yeah it was up earlier, but I think something went wrong and they had to put it up again.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Does Wal Mart honor competitor's Black Friday specials? Seems like that might be a sneaky way to get some good buys. If they have the same items in stock that is.
    I don't know of anyone that price-matches doorbuster-type specials.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I ended up going out this morning for a few things. I've always enjoyed Christmas shopping for some reason, and I don't take it too seriously. It kind of depends on what I'm after. I know better than to fight the Best Buy/Toys R Us hordes. But I walked into Sears at 4 a.m. sharp, found the electric scooter my daughter wants ($40 off), checked out, and walked out the door at 4:07. And now I have an excuse for a nap.

I also do some of the Christmas shopping online, but that also involves picking spots. Some stores' Black Friday specials are mostly or entirely in-store only, e.g. Bass Pro Shops. And it's not like Black Friday online shopping is immune to sellouts or site crashes. Target and Lowe's, and probably others, had outages due to heavy load; GameStop was almost unusable last night and their ad hadn't even started yet.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I walked into Sports Authority this afternoon and got 2 Wilson Evolution basketballs for $27 each. Was out in 15 minutes. Successful black Friday.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Side note, that I discovered a couple of years ago, the malls are pretty dead that evening (obviously the super deals are gone and people are worn out), but if you have a small one and want to get a picture with santa, I've noticed over the last couple of years that the line is next to nothing that night.
    Best idea I've read in a long time. I read this at 5 today, and headed up the the Florence Mall. I was third in line, waited 10 minutes, and was done.

I bought several things off of Amazon and several things from Baseball Savings.

My small haul:

Lion King Blu Ray 16.99
    Wizard of Oz Blu Ray 9.99
    Ted Williams Science of HItting book 10
    Winnie the Pooh DVD 17 (reg. price)
    Lauren Alaina (sic) CD 4.99
    Scotty M (sic) CD 4.99
    Lady A CD 6.99

All of those for my wife and daughter except the book.

I also got a youth catchers mitt for 10 dollars (80 dollars glove 6 mo. ago), an outfield rawlings glove for 10 dollars, 2 Brett Bros. necklaces for 10 a piece, and a Mizuno fleece.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The wife, son, and I ventured out yesterday just to spend some time together, eat out, and get out of the house. Since a majority of the stores start there Black Friday deals late Thursday night it wasn't so bad. The only problem was (and I knew it too) the deals I was looking for would lonnnnng be gone. We hit Target, Best Buy, and KMart, because we were specifically looking for a deal on a 40" HD TV. We hit a few of those stores around Dayton, but when I asked he clerks if, by chance, any were left, they just laughed at us. Which was expected.

So I'm looking on-line. I do most of my shopping there anyway. I did get a great deal at Elder-Beermans on a Cuisinart coffeemaker. Regularly $160. Got if for $50.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?