Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

  1. #1
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,879

    Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    per twitter, Scott Miller of CBS Sports

    ScottMCBSSports Scott Miller
    Mike Matheny new manager of St. Louis Cardinals. Done deal. Club has announced it

    http://scott-miller.blogs.cbssports....70335/33290327

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    I really like this move for the Cardinals. Catch-22 was considered a team leader when he played, and many people believed he would be an MLB manager someday. My Cardinal friends were all rooting for him. I'd wish him good luck, if he was named the manager of any team other than the Cards.
    Last edited by 757690; 11-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  4. #3
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    This is the best news I've heard so far this off-season.

  5. #4
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,046

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    This reeks of "keep Dave Duncan on board" to me.

    Cheap, young, no experience. But tight with Duncan.

  6. #5
    Member MattyHo4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,515

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This reeks of "keep Dave Duncan on board" to me.

    Cheap, young, no experience. But tight with Duncan.
    Well...if they were going to make a move to keep someone on board, then Oquendo probably would have been the choice since he is Pujols' friend.

  7. #6
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    The Cards are taking a huge gamble not hiring someone with any coaching experience. I guess it could be a good move but I'm luke warm on the move. He is a smart baseball guy and a well respected player from his time with the Cards so that could be a plus. The team is also a good team so its not like he is going to struggle through a rebuilding franchise like many first time managers do. Still, time will tell on this. I'll give him the benefit of doubt but still puzzled why Francona didn't get the job.

    This reeks of "keep Dave Duncan on board" to me.
    Duncan had a year left on his contract so I don't see how this is an issue that you bring up.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  8. #7
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The Cards are taking a huge gamble not hiring someone with any coaching experience. I guess it could be a good move but I'm luke warm on the move. He is a smart baseball guy and a well respected player from his time with the Cards so that could be a plus. The team is also a good team so its not like he is going to struggle through a rebuilding franchise like many first time managers do. Still, time will tell on this. I'll give him the benefit of doubt but still puzzled why Francona didn't get the job.



    Duncan had a year left on his contract so I don't see how this is an issue that you bring up.
    One year contracts don't mean much for pitching coaches. I think if Francona was named manager, he would want to bring in his own guys for the whole staff.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. #8
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,000

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    So, does Oquendo stay around? Gotta be tough for him after putting in his dues for so long with the organizaiton.

    I've read that Pujols' relationship with Oquendo was a big factor in his staying in St. Louis.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  10. #9
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    So, does Oquendo stay around? Gotta be tough for him after putting in his dues for so long with the organizaiton.

    I've read that Pujols' relationship with Oquendo was a big factor in his staying in St. Louis.
    Matheny and Pujols were pretty good friends as well. In fact, just a couple of weeks after this season was finished, Pujols went to the DR to help Matheny do some stuff with a youth baseball team or something.

    One year contracts don't mean much for pitching coaches. I think if Francona was named manager, he would want to bring in his own guys for the whole staff.
    Reading different reports, he wasn't really married to a pitching coach. Besides, why would he not want Duncan's services? If a coach is coming in and wanting to replace arguably the best pitching coach in the history of the game, that alone would have been grounds not to hire him.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  11. #10
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    The other positive thing, if you are a Reds fan, is that you won't have to see the mind games that TLR put everyone through. Matheny was a well respected person and one of the good guys in the game when he played. I get a sense that the Cards wanted to get away from the uber-micromanaging/psychological mind games management they had for 16 years and move towards a guy that can not only manage on the field but give good PR as well.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  12. #11
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,968

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    I hope he brings a culture change to the STL clubhouse. And of course I say that as a Reds fan. As a Cards fan, Tony L did produce results, you gotta admit.

  13. #12
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I hope he brings a culture change to the STL clubhouse. And of course I say that as a Reds fan. As a Cards fan, Tony L did produce results, you gotta admit.
    Kal, I can certainly understand why TLR annoyed so many people. However, he was one of those guys that you hate but love to have on your team. I liked the fact that TLR tried to give the Cards an edge on every single opportunity that came his way. I appreciated that if he felt there was a just a chance his team would perform just 1% better because of the antics he pulled, he didn't mind taking heat for it.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  14. #13
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post

    Reading different reports, he wasn't really married to a pitching coach. Besides, why would he not want Duncan's services? If a coach is coming in and wanting to replace arguably the best pitching coach in the history of the game, that alone would have been grounds not to hire him.
    If the Cards wanted Francona and he wanted to bring in a new staff including a new pitching coach, and that was the reason why he wasn't hired, the Cardinals are the dumbest organization I have ever experienced, and I experienced both the Dick Wagner and Dan O'Brien Reds era's.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  15. #14
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    I've met Matheny a couple times, and I think he's a great fit. I also like that he'll wear number 22, which might hurt the odds of the Cards' re-signing Edwin Jackson by the smallest factor. Every little bit counts, right?

  16. #15
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Mike Matheny is new Cardinals manager

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Kal, I can certainly understand why TLR annoyed so many people. However, he was one of those guys that you hate but love to have on your team. I liked the fact that TLR tried to give the Cards an edge on every single opportunity that came his way. I appreciated that if he felt there was a just a chance his team would perform just 1% better because of the antics he pulled, he didn't mind taking heat for it.
    In Cincinnati, we're stuck with pretty much the opposite in Dusty Baker, whose on-field decisions are often questionable (albeit probably not as bad as his critics make them out to be). I would welcome a change to a micromanaging style with open arms. The only reason I ever gripe about TLR and wouldn't want him on my favorite team is due to his petty excuses and accusations of opponents cheating (which is extremely ironic when you consider the players he had under his lead).


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25