Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

5 7.46%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • UT Todd Frazier

7 10.45%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • SS Didi Gregorius

2 2.99%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

1 1.49%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • 2B Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

26 38.81%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

26 38.81%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

I went with Dave Sappelt. I think he has it in him to be a perennial .290/.340/.450 type of hitter with good defense. Those who are only basing their opinion on him from what they saw in the Majors are really missing the boat on him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with Dave Sappelt. I think he has it in him to be a perennial .290/.340/.450 type of hitter with good defense. Those who are only basing their opinion on him from what they saw in the Majors are really missing the boat on him.
    I agree on all of this. Its just that I think this makes him the 4th best prospect in the organization.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I've got high hopes for him, and hopefully management sees it the same way. He was struggling with an oblique injury for most of the season, which took a toll on his stats, and most of his MLB struggles are just jitters and a small sample size. And even compared to most of the rookies, he didn't do too bad.

There are a few drawbacks, however. He's got pretty good speed, but he has no instinct for stealing, and doesn't always make the right decisions on the basepaths. I've also seen reports that his arm strength is subpar overall for an outfielder, especially if he were to spend time in LF or RF. While both of those tools tend to be a bit overrated in my opinion, they're going to limit his situational usefulness.

Also, requesting Juan Duran for the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Also, requesting Juan Duran for the next round.
    I already planned on it.

Sappelt. Actually my #7, but behind Corcino and Yorman so this is the first I could vote for him. A lot has been said about his time in Cinti, but I think that he made distinctive progress during that stretch. The longer he was up, the more good at bats he had. Strictly anecdotal, but I'll stand by it.

I'm not gonna lobby for Torreyes anymore. Just gonna vote for him, for the sixth straight time.

That said, Sappelt deserves to be at least this high, in my view. The guy can hit. I'm hoping that the warning-track groove he slipped into after his callup was a passing phase.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Sappelt. Actually my #7, but behind Corcino and Yorman so this is the first I could vote for him. A lot has been said about his time in Cinti, but I think that he made distinctive progress during that stretch. The longer he was up, the more good at bats he had. Strictly anecdotal, but I'll stand by it.
    I just saw a different player in Sappelt.

Sappelt may have been injured - although I didn't hear it at the time - but he was generally unimpressive as a Red and didn't seem to get consistently better over his stint. He did get a few key hits in games and makes contact often.

Maybe he will impress me more next time. I went with Torreyes here.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I just saw a different player in Sappelt.

Sappelt may have been injured - although I didn't hear it at the time - but he was generally unimpressive as a Red and didn't seem to get consistently better over his stint. He did get a few key hits in games and makes contact often.

Maybe he will impress me more next time. I went with Torreyes here.
    He injured a hammy I think more than midway through the halfway point in the season and he never showed the same violent stroke as he had for the previous 1.5 years. So give him time to recover and then take another look at him.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    He injured a hammy I think more than midway through the halfway point in the season and he never showed the same violent stroke as he had for the previous 1.5 years. So give him time to recover and then take another look at him.
    With Stubbs and Heisey potentially trade bait, we might get an early look at Sappelt as a Red next year.

I went with Sappelt at 10 and will have him here too. I too think that we will see a vast improvement in Sappelt at the MLB level this season and as I stated in the previous thread, I still think he will grow more as a player at the MLB level and surprise us all.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    You are right. First 11 games he hit .195 without a walk, 8 strikeouts and just 1 extra base hit. The other 27 games (66 at bats) he hit .273 with 7 walks and 9 strikeouts with 7 extra base hits.

His oblique injury took away from his swing a little bit and hurt his power output once he came back. With the offseason to get things right, I expect his power to be back to normal and I have no issues at all with anything he does offensively. Defensively there is the arm question, but his range more than makes up for it in my opinion because the guy has plus range in center field and probably the best range in left field around since he is a plus range guy in center.

Sappelt all the way here. Would have him higher even. Guy is a major league player.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I'm not gonna lobby for Torreyes anymore. Just gonna vote for him, for the sixth straight time.
    Same here. Until he gets it, he'll keep being my first pick.

Imo, all of these prospects from Cozart to Sappelt/Torreyes seem to be on close to the same level. None of them look like world-beaters yet, but each should provide solid contributions to the major league team.

Turn Off Ads?