Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    At the end of the day we have an attorney making football personnel decisions, which is not a sustainable model for success. They've proven this for two decades now, regardless if somebody would be thankful to have them somewhere else.

That's like saying you should eat grub worms for dinner tonight because there are people somewhere else who would think they hit the jackpot with a dinner like that.
    While I don't think Mike Brown is a good football man, I am continually puzzled by comments about how someone's professional background prevents them from being good at something else besides that profession. Oh, and I get the whole "personality" thing. I vehemently disagree that people are this narrowly defined.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Towards the end of those 8 years they were often aided by local businesses or even Chad Johnson to buy off remaining tickets to prevent blackouts. The streak also ended last season which was a bad year, but it also followed an undefeated AFC North season that led to a playoff berth.

I'm not trying to say our fans have always been bad or anything, just that it's trended that way in recent years.

Also, I don't think it's fair to say the organization ran Carson out of town. They paid him very well and he decided to take his ball and go home, that's on him.

With all of that said, I do agree that this stuff can't change overnight. The real question is how season ticket sales will go in the offseason. This is an easy team to root for, MB has been doing a good job drafting and signing FAs recently, and we're setup for a successful run. For fans, I would think that is what they would want.
    I will tell you why I don't go to games. Can't stinking afford it, and I have a middle income wage. I follow the Bengals, but have not set foot in PBS because of economics. I wouldn't be able to do it Mike Brown or someone else was the owner. Heck, I can't even afford officially licensed NFL merchandise. So I root from my couch. Would love to take my sons to a game someday, but I'm priced out.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I will tell you why I don't go to games. Can't stinking afford it, and I have a middle income wage. I follow the Bengals, but have not set foot in PBS because of economics. I wouldn't be able to do it Mike Brown or someone else was the owner. Heck, I can't even afford officially licensed NFL merchandise. So I root from my couch. Would love to take my sons to a game someday, but I'm priced out.
    They really need to have cheaper seats. No time to find the links right now, but if you look at Indianapolis, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Buffalo and even Cleveland (all comparable teams), upper deck tickets on the 10s or the end zones are usually less than $50, in some cases even less than $40. At PBS they're $70. I think they would get much closer to sell outs if they made the upper seats in Sections 303 and 304 (and the similar sections) $40, and maybe make the last 3 rows $35 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    They really need to have cheaper seats. No time to find the links right now, but if you look at Indianapolis, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Buffalo and even Cleveland (all comparable teams), upper deck tickets on the 10s or the end zones are usually less than $50, in some cases even less than $40. At PBS they're $70. I think they would get much closer to sell outs if they made the upper seats in Sections 303 and 304 (and the similar sections) $40, and maybe make the last 3 rows $35 or something.
    ^ This.

I hope that the Bengals do lower the bar for their cheapest seats next season. The corners of the 300-level are not worth the $65 price tag they go for now. Those should be more in line with the worst seats at other NFL stadiums in the $35-$45 range. For what they charge for those remote outpost seats, I'd rather just watch it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Go out and get your Raiders back if you want a team. Leave the Bengals and Bills and Vikings alone. Your city already lost two teams. Do we really need to see history repeat itself?
    Honestly, I don't want the Raiders or Rams back here in the 'Entertainment Capital of the World'. There is so much more to do here than the cities you mentioned not to mention the better weather.

Since LA is a 'neutral' market I get to watch a better selection of games instead of the 'home team'. Most of my friends don't want another NFL team here and it's one reason that building a new stadium is having a problem getting traction in LA.

Another reason is that the citizens of LA realize that Mike Brown is an extorisionist and don't want to see that here.

My main point was that Mike Brown, his daughter and her husband need to go. It's just that simple.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    My main point was that Mike Brown, his daughter and her husband need to go. It's just that simple.

Rem
    I don't have a problem with his daughter Katie. Mike Brown has been and will continue to be the biggest problem with the Bengals. I think that the moves forward that the Bengals have taken over the past decade have been initiated by Katie.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Marvin Lewis moved upstairs soon and Mike Zimmer or Gruden were named head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't have a problem with his daughter Katie. Mike Brown has been and will continue to be the biggest problem with the Bengals. I think that the moves forward that the Bengals have taken over the past decade have been initiated by Katie.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Marvin Lewis moved upstairs soon and Mike Zimmer or Gruden were named head coach.
    This has been rumored for awhile and I also can see it eventually happening. As bad as Mike Brown has been since he took over in 1991, there is no doubt that the past three years have been his best, and it appears things are slowly starting to change. But, just like the economy, you can't see the end of the recession until a year or two or three after it's over.

And I believe a lot of the changes are being initiated by Katie. Here's hoping it continues. A practice bubble would be a nice announcement after this season ends to continue the momentum.

Looks like a new pricing plan for next year. Cheap seats will be $20 cheaper

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Irrelevant. They also beat three teams that the Ravens lost to. And they beat a team that the Patriots lost to. And they beat a team that the Giants and Bears lost to. And they beat a team that the Saints lost to. And they beat a team that the Texans lost to. Funny how you didn't cherry pick those results?

Are the Bengals the only team in the NFL that has the easy schedule in the rotation? No. They all do. The Bengals took advantage of it this year. So did the Steelers, playing the exact same schedule and beating, largely, the exact same teams. In 2010, the Reds took advantage of a sad-sack division by beating up on the bottom dwellers all season. Should they apologize?

The declinist, defeatist attitude ... soooooooooo Cincinnati.
    I'm not cherry picking anything- head to head they couldn't beat a Schaub-less Texans squad. Terrible.

They also nearly blew a 23-0 lead with 6 minutes against the almighty Cardinals.

They have a 24th ranked offense...going to be tough to go deep into the playoffs with that.

I never said they should apologize for the schedule, but you have to take winning seasons in context. You can't say they've turned a corner when the best team they've beaten this year is the Titans, and they lose tonthe Steelers and Ravens. Every time.

Im a huge Redsfaithful fan, but I'd rank the assertion that the Bengals could beat the Patriots up there with the poster who said the Big Red Machine was good because of Darrel Cheney for the laugh of the week. There is no planet, no universe, where the Bengals beat the Patriots in a playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They can easily go to Houston and win. And Merrill Hoge said he thought they were one of the most dangerous teams in the AFC, should they get in, so not everyone is that pessimistic. I don't have any illusion that they are a Super Bowl team, but I think they will win on Sunday and beat Houston.

Honestly, they could probably beat New England too. Having a good defensive line has always been the way to beat Brady.
    No, they can't beat New England. The Pats have lost, what, one game at home over the past few years, and you think they would honestly lose a home playoff game to a team with the 24th ranked offense? The Bengals? Who held on to beat the Cardinals by the skin of their teeth, who couldn't beat the Texans without their best players? Let's not get ahead of ourselves- they can't even crack the Steelers, believe me, New England would eat them for lunch.

But we won't have to worry about it, because Cincy is going to be bounced while the Pats are sitting home watching it on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    While I don't think Mike Brown is a good football man, I am continually puzzled by comments about how someone's professional background prevents them from being good at something else besides that profession. Oh, and I get the whole "personality" thing. I vehemently disagree that people are this narrowly defined.
    Well think of it this way: his front office is continually staffed with family members. Now, either you think that he goes out and interviews folks and his family just happens to beat these people out of jobs every time, or you think that just being related or marrying into the family qualifies you to run a football team.

What I'll never understand are people who think that a hundreds of million dollar football operation shouldn't be run by the most talented people in the industry rather than people who marry into a family and think it would be neat to give this football thing a try.

Let me tell you something- I own a business, a very successful one, and I don't have my mother as a sales manager. What on earth qualifies Mike Brown to run a football team? Are Katie Blackburn and her husband really the best this franchise can do? I mean, of all the people in the industry that have spent their lives learning the game, learning about personnel decisions, talent evaluations, and what a coincidence, Mike Brown puts his daughter and her husband in....and you say, "I've never understood why someone can't be good at both?" well here's the thing, my friend: they aren't good at football, and we've seen that over a twenty year same size.

Can an attorney run a football team? Not this one. Twenty years and not one playoff win. Zero. Nada. Nothing.

If you want to say things are looking up due to weak scheduling, have at it. I would prefer to have a team where people see us on it and think they have a tough schedule. That is never going to happen as long as Mike Brown owns this team, because he is a business man first, football second.

I agree with both REM and dom.

sent from HTC EVO

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Please tell us how the two matchups between the Steelers and the Bengals ended this year. Kind of an important fact that you failed to mention.

You definitely do not fault the team for their schedule; however, it is OK to tell how it is... the Bengals are really only a mediocre team that benefited from playing two weak "other" divisions this year and a pretty bad Cleveland team 2X. They will have a much better record than anyone predicted as the season started (I predicted 2-14... oops!) and I really enjoyed this season as a diehard fan. But in reality they are not a playoff type team. They are reaping the benefits of their schedule and overall a pretty mediocre NFL (with a few exceptions).
    Well, one of the matchups was decided in the last minute, even though the Bengals were without their best player most of the game. But that fact gets ignored quite a bit.

Also, in response to Dom, EVERY NFL team has the same scheduling format. It rotates every year. The Browns get the same chances the Bengals do, and don't cash in. And to be fair, that 2005 team never got a shot to prove what it could do in the playoffs, because their superstar QB went down on his first pass attempt.

Well think of it this way: his front office is continually staffed with family members. Now, either you think that he goes out and interviews folks and his family just happens to beat these people out of jobs every time, or you think that just being related or marrying into the family qualifies you to run a football team.

What I'll never understand are people who think that a hundreds of million dollar football operation shouldn't be run by the most talented people in the industry rather than people who marry into a family and think it would be neat to give this football thing a try.

Let me tell you something- I own a business, a very successful one, and I don't have my mother as a sales manager. What on earth qualifies Mike Brown to run a football team? Are Katie Blackburn and her husband really the best this franchise can do? I mean, of all the people in the industry that have spent their lives learning the game, learning about personnel decisions, talent evaluations, and what a coincidence, Mike Brown puts his daughter and her husband in....and you say, "I've never understood why someone can't be good at both?" well here's the thing, my friend: they aren't good at football, and we've seen that over a twenty year same size.

Can an attorney run a football team? Not this one. Twenty years and not one playoff win. Zero. Nada. Nothing.

If you want to say things are looking up due to weak scheduling, have at it. I would prefer to have a team where people see us on it and think they have a tough schedule. That is never going to happen as long as Mike Brown owns this team, because he is a business man first, football second.
    Bill Bidwell and Mike Brown have a lot in common, but that didn't stop the Cardinals from reaching a Super Bowl a few years ago. Clearly having Mike Brown is a handicap. It does not, however, automatically exclude the Bengals from Super Bowl consideration. If we're going to rip Brown for most things (and well deserved), he must be given credit for things, too. The Palmer trade. Drafting Dalton. Drafting Green. Hiring Zimmer and Gruden. If we're going to criticize him for everything, it's only fair to give him credit when credit is due. He HAS done quite a few things right in the last few years. We'll never be a New England-like franchise, with sustained dominance. But we can compete for Super Bowls.

Brown has an awful rep compared to the Lerner family in Cleveland, but he's sure won a lot more than them the last ten years, hasn't he?

No, they can't beat New England. The Pats have lost, what, one game at home over the past few years, and you think they would honestly lose a home playoff game to a team with the 24th ranked offense? The Bengals? Who held on to beat the Cardinals by the skin of their teeth, who couldn't beat the Texans without their best players? Let's not get ahead of ourselves- they can't even crack the Steelers, believe me, New England would eat them for lunch.

But we won't have to worry about it, because Cincy is going to be bounced while the Pats are sitting home watching it on tv.
    The Pats have lost in their first playoff game in the last two SEASONS at home. They aren't the juggernaut they used to be. But first things first, the Bengals have to win this week, their plate if plenty full.

Turn Off Ads?