Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    And the Bengals got Reggie Nelson in return for David Jones. Another steal.

To all the ignoramuses, Mays injured his hammy at the end of the preseason. That's why you haven't seen much of him.
    Whoa there.... no need for the attacks.

We haven't seen much of Mays and were able to acquire Mays for next to nothing because he simply isn't all that good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bengals go up 23-20 with 38 seconds left

Loving this team. How bout Dalton in the clutch?!

Nice pulling out the win. I wasn't terribly impressed with the play on the lines, but they made big plays when they needed them. Having Green back was big.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

nice to win.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Attack Cat!

The announcers kept harping on the drops by the Cleveland receivers, but McCoy isn't exactly laying in easy to catch balls. He has to share some of the blame from what I saw.

And the Bengals got Reggie Nelson in return for David Jones. Another steal.

To all the ignoramuses, Mays injured his hammy at the end of the preseason. That's why you haven't seen much of him.
    Mays has been playing ST. Pretty well, IIRC. He's just not playing safety because he's not the better player.

Good win, nice to have AJ Green back as he athleticism can do pretty wonderful things for a young QB. The defense does seem to miss Leon Hall and Dunlap though. Andre Smith was brutal today from the reports I read.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    The announcers kept harping on the drops by the Cleveland receivers, but McCoy isn't exactly laying in easy to catch balls. He has to share some of the blame from what I saw.
    On some of them, absolutely. But take Clevelands last drive for example, that drop by Little was 100% on him. McCoy put the ball right there on the numbers and he flat out dropped it.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    On some of them, absolutely. But take Clevelands last drive for example, that drop by Little was 100% on him. McCoy put the ball right there on the numbers and he flat out dropped it.
    Absolutely the receivers aren't good, but on the second down play (I think) on the final drive Colt throws the ball right at the guy's shoes along the sidelines. From what I've seen from Colt he sure isn't going to be part of the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Actually, scouting reports have been saying for over a year now that he simply doesn't have the raw ability that he was thought to have. He has good speed in one direction, but he only runs well one way.
    Exactly and how people don't get that being well below average in lateral quickness results in the inability to cover in the open field especially in the NFL where a foot is alot of space to give up is beyond me. Taylor Mays might eventually become a nice 2 down LB for someone but I hardly doubt he ever is a legit decent safety and by decent I mean Chris Crocker not Troy Polamalu.

Nelson OTOH is an excellent talent and has gotten to be a pretty solid pick up for us, just a shade undisciplined at times. If he cleans that up he'll be a difference maker in the secondary for us. Crocker is replaceable but has done an admirable job because he is crafty and not especially quick or fast.

Hopefully CB and Safety are 2 positions given alot of consideration with one of those 2 1st rounders next draft.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Yell bust all you want about Mays, but the guy has freakish size and speed for his position. I'm excited about his future, whether it be at safety, linebacker, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Mays has been playing ST. Pretty well, IIRC. He's just not playing safety because he's not the better player.
    I'm aware of that. He's still learning Zimmer's defense.

Awesome job by Benson today, BTW. Hopefully he plays at that level the rest of the way.

Did anyone catch Simpson's flop today? Just pure comedy gold...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Yell bust all you want about Mays, but the guy has freakish size and speed for his position. I'm excited about his future, whether it be at safety, linebacker, whatever.

I'm aware of that. He's still learning Zimmer's defense.

Awesome job by Benson today, BTW. Hopefully he plays at that level the rest of the way.
    You don't make it to the NFL without being a freak. I remember when they drafted Andre Caldwell some said you just can't pass up that size speed ratio in the 3rd round. A guy like Jermaine Gresham is a feak with his size and speed. Those guys so far have been nice players, hardly world beaters. Taylor Mays has great athletic ability but stuff like the ability to cut and come in and out of breaks means more than freakish speed.

Even if Mays is nothing but a quality special teams player it was well worth a late draft pick. You build quality teams by having quality guys all over the roster. I am hopeful that Mays can turn into a good NFL S, but I think the jury is still out on that one. If anything you won't see much out of him until 2012, as a starter that is.

Receivers are a dime a dozen.

I'm done arguing about Mays. Until he actually starts, don't bother telling me what he can and cannot do.

Turn Off Ads?