Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

This is like when a poor hitter goes on a couple of month hot streak with a bunch of bloop hits and seeing eye singles and everyone thinks they've figured it out. Or when a guy who gets a few key hits in clutch situations and he's deemed to be a "clutch hitter." He's playing with a .500 BABIP. He's the closer racking up saves by loading the bases, giving up a run or two, but getting a luck out to end the game. Winning in the way they are now is not sustainable.

The guy is a good athlete and it's entirely possible that he'll get better. But if he plays like he's been playing as a QB, he will regress to the mean and it won't be pretty. Either that, or he will significantly improve, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. But as soon as they lose a couple of games, you won't hear players talking about his motivational speeches and how he's making the defense play better. Wait until they lose a couple where the defense keeps the opponent to 10 points (like almost happened today).

And don't kid yourself, Elway knows this. You think he wouldn't take a QB in the draft this year if a good one is available when the Broncos pick? This is a deep QB draft, so it wouldn't surprise me.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-11-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good point about what Elway would do, that's a tough call. I think what makes it even worse is how the Bronco fans, and the nation for that matter, have all grown so attached to Tebow. It's going to be hard for them to replace him unless he starts losing some games. I don't think they ever expected him to succeed, and in a weird way I think his success has thrown a wrench in their plan.

I have no idea how I would handle that situation...I just know that if he takes them to the playoffs it's gonna be really hard to sell the fanbase on another QB, almost impossible.

Tebow isn't getting it done in the conventional sense, but the team is 7-1 with him. The running game is good because of him. Willis McGahee hasn't run this effectively ever. He still has alot of room for improvement, but he looked very good in the 4th quarter. Also, he threw the ball fairly well for the whole game, but he was hurt by multiple easy drops. Other guys are making plays, but they're making plays that they weren't making when Orton was QB.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    And the false start on 4th and inches.
    Marvin later said that they were not going to snap the ball and run a play. We were merely trying to draw a penalty. So my question is why weren't we coached to jump when the defender jumped? More specifically why didn't Whitworth jump when the guy opposite him moved? That likely would have given us the 5 yds and the ballgame. Short of that, the only way were were going to get the penalty was if they jumped so bad as to make contact--not likely. That's a specific case where the coaching was inadequate

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Edited... Oops, wrong thread, sorry.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The Tebow stuff is nonsense. His kicker kicks a 59 yarder. If the Bears don't make a bonehead play late in the game, it's over.
    Sorry to go OT, but the kicker didn't make a drive and throw a touchdown pass with 2 minutes left.

Cowboy's D just played secret Santa in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Tebow isn't getting it done in the conventional sense, but the team is 7-1 with him. The running game is good because of him. Willis McGahee hasn't run this effectively ever. He still has alot of room for improvement, but he looked very good in the 4th quarter. Also, he threw the ball fairly well for the whole game, but he was hurt by multiple easy drops. Other guys are making plays, but they're making plays that they weren't making when Orton was QB.
    The Bronco's beat the Caleb Haney led Bears by 3 in overtime. In order to do so they hit a 59 and 51 yard FG. I don't buy Tebow as a long term solution. The Bronco's are winning in large part to an easy schedule (the Jets being the only quality team they have beaten under Tebow) and a defense playing out of this world. The one offensively potent team they played destroyed them. The national media can give all the props to Tim Tebow but the reality is that defense is playing outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Marvin later said that they were not going to snap the ball and run a play. We were merely trying to draw a penalty. So my question is why weren't we coached to jump when the defender jumped? More specifically why didn't Whitworth jump when the guy opposite him moved? That likely would have given us the 5 yds and the ballgame. Short of that, the only way were were going to get the penalty was if they jumped so bad as to make contact--not likely. That's a specific case where the coaching was inadequate
    Good question. I still would have just sneaked it on one. They needed a foot and depending on when the ref blows his whistle the game would have been over.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Good question. I still would have just sneaked it on one. They needed a foot and depending on when the ref blows his whistle the game would have been over.
    The play before that (Scott's run on 3rd and 15) should have been reviewed by Marvin (for the spot). Worst case is they lose the challenge and a TO, which they shouldn't need at that point anyway. If somehow, they win the challenge, they win the game.

Typical Marvin lack of common sense at game/clock management down the stretch.

And the TO's called at the end on D were pretty stupid as well. Nothing like helping out a rookie QB (that had no TO's left) to have a discussion with his coach and make sure he, the coaches, and the rest of the offense are all on the same page.

I knew they lost when they failed to get that last 1st down. Give a team 2 minutes and knowing they have to get 7 (4 downs all the way) and mix in the fact that it's the Bengals and it's a recipe for collapse down the stretch.

And the scramble by Yates to convert the long 3rd down was a brutal thing to watch. Like I said, no matter how good the talent this franchise assembles, they'll continue to choke in big games, especially with Marvin Lewis standing on the sidelines. He's damaged goods and need to go (like 5 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Like I said, no matter how good the talent this franchise assembles, they'll continue to choke in big games, especially with Marvin Lewis standing on the sidelines. He's damaged goods and need to go (like 5 years ago).
    After many years of defending Marvin, I'm now on your side with this. I think it is time for the team to get a fresh start with new leadership after this season. The advantages of continuity wore out several years ago. Question: why is Marvin "damaged goods"? Do you mean he's just shell shocked after so many years in a dysfunctional organization?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Marvin belongs up in the booth, scouting and drafting players. He shouldn't be anywhere near the sidelines as a head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Question: why is Marvin "damaged goods"? Do you mean he's just shell shocked after so many years in a dysfunctional organization?
    Probably a weak choice of words on my part. I just meant that he's choked so many times that I don't see him ever getting over the hump. Like Rick Ankiel not being able to find the strike zone or Chuck Knoblauch having issues throwing the ball from 2nd to 1st. Choking is in his head now, and I truly feel he believes the worst will happen come late in the game (in big games). Just look at the expression on his face when they show him on the sideline. He coaches scared and plays not to lose. Bad recipe when you are the Bengals, especially when you know you're never going to get any calls.

I don't think Marvin choked yesterday.

He had our guys ready to play, and they played hard. He made some good risky calls during the game. He had to call a TO on D at the end of the game because our D was not on the same page, and the Bernard Scott spot was a good one.

We got beat because our defense can't defend crossing routes or tight ends. Yates was impressive, but lets be real, a lotta those throws any of us could have made. Little dump offs over the middle to a guy who is wide open...

We need better players and more depth, and we're prolly gonna have to draft them because I don't really see any FA wanting to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He had to call a TO on D at the end of the game because our D was not on the same page,
    Didn't he call two TO's on consecutive plays? I thought he did. I could understand once, but twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    the Bernard Scott spot was a good one.
    I couldn't tell, but it was close enough to challenge. There would be no harm in it, plus the time it takes to challenge gives you time to get your ducks in a row for 4th down (if you lose the challenge).

Turn Off Ads?