Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I wonder if there is any availability for Steven Jackson? Always liked him, Rams are clearly bottomed out... Thoughts?
    Got a ton of Mileage and isn't quite as electric as I would like but isn't a slouch by any means & may afford us the opportunity to find our long term answer down the road a bit and develop him. What I think we need is someone who the defense has to account for and possibly over account for on every down. Which should help the passing game be all it can be. A Forte, LeSean McCoy, Arian Foster, McFadden type of back. Jackson while old could still fit the bill, MJD is a guy who might be ready to move on.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. I see Richardson as more of a Darren McFadden type. No doubt very good, but not enough to sacrifice multiple picks to trade up for.
    I couldn't disagree with you more Beni, IMO this is just what we need. We already are an offense that has to rely too much on working our way down the field, we need an explosive back who can both give us the big play and move the chains. We need an elite back. You put an elite RB in this offense and give him a good OL and this offense will soar. You put a plodder in there and you get what we got this year with Benson. That's not to suggest that I don't want the offense to still maintain time of possession but we definitely need a big play threat to open things up for the rest of the offense. It's just a matter of time before teams do like the Ravens did with A.J. and bracket him so he can't be a down the field play maker, getting the RB keeps them from being able to do such a thing all willy nilly.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-13-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    How has no one reported on Gruden's 3 year extension yet?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ordinator.html
    Didn't know it until now. I'm happy with it. But just checked ESPN.com and Jeff Fisher is apparently finalizing a deal with St. Louis which is bad news for the Bengals. I believe Mike Zimmer is now inline for the Dolphins job, that really sucks. My favorite candidate to replace Zim is Mike Singletary if not Steve Spagnulo (which is probably headed to Philly but has a ton of suitors).
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-13-2012 at 07:52 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Got a ton of Mileage and isn't quite as electric as I would like but isn't a slouch by any means & may afford us the opportunity to find our long term answer down the road a bit and develop him. What I think we need is someone who the defense has to account for and possibly over account for on every down. Which should help the passing game be all it can be. A Forte, LeSean McCoy, Arian Foster, McFadden type of back. Jackson while old could still fit the bill, MJD is a guy who might be ready to move on.
    I can tell you this from watching Jackson for the past couple of years, if he has slowed down, he hasn't shown it. This is the 7th year in a row where he rushed for 1000 yards or more. There are only something like 5 other guys in the history of the league who have done that. I highly doubt that the Rams trade Jackson because he is still a baller and Jeff Fischer loves the running game. The other thing is that he wants to retire a Ram even if that means sinking with the ship.

Didn't know it until now. I'm happy with it. But just checked ESPN.com and Jeff Fisher is apparently finalizing a deal with St. Louis which is bad news for the Bengals. I believe Mike Zimmer is now inline for the Dolphins job, that really sucks. My favorite candidate to replace Zim is Mike Singletary if not Steve Spagnulo (which is probably headed to Philly but has a ton of suitors).
    It's finalized. Fischer is the new Rams coach. We are really excited here. Spagnulo, if the Bengals could get him, would be an insanely good defensive coordinator. He wasn't effective as a head coach but his defensive scheme was top notch in the NFL in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    It's finalized. Fischer is the new Rams coach. We are really excited here. Spagnulo, if the Bengals could get him, would be an insanely good defensive coordinator. He wasn't effective as a head coach but his defensive scheme was top notch in the NFL in my opinion.
    Agree on Spags which is why he'll be in demand. Congrats on the Fisher hiring. Thanks to the Dolphins not willing to remove their GM you guys get him free and clear. This is a bummer, I really like Zimmer, the guy is such a great motivator. Now the Bengals need another great motivator (Singletary) or schemer (Spags) or we are gonna seriously need some impact talent, our Polamalu or Suh or Patrick Willis.

--Woody Hayes

Agree on Spags which is why he'll be in demand. Congrats on the Fisher hiring. Thanks to the Dolphins not willing to remove their GM you guys get him free and clear. This is a bummer, I really like Zimmer, the guy is such a great motivator. Now the Bengals need another great motivator (Singletary) or schemer (Spags) or we are gonna seriously need some impact talent, our Polamalu or Suh or Patrick Willis.
    Watching the NFC West all year, there is not another Patrick Willis out there. He is just a mean, nasty guy. When you watch him, you see a guy that just doesn't get out matched, out played, and very rarely makes mistakes. The Bengals would improve just to get someone with half of his skills. It kills me as a Rams fan because I know that because Willis is in the same league, James Laurinaitis will probably never make a pro-bowl team.

It looks like the Rams are giving Fischer free reign to make decisions about all his coaches and who he wants as GM. I don't think he will be directly in charge of player selection but he is going to have a huge say into what goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Watching the NFC West all year, there is not another Patrick Willis out there. He is just a mean, nasty guy. When you watch him, you see a guy that just doesn't get out matched, out played, and very rarely makes mistakes. The Bengals would improve just to get someone with half of his skills. It kills me as a Rams fan because I know that because Willis is in the same league, James Laurinaitis will probably never make a pro-bowl team.

It looks like the Rams are giving Fischer free reign to make decisions about all his coaches and who he wants as GM. I don't think he will be directly in charge of player selection but he is going to have a huge say into what goes on.
    Yeah Willis is sick. But Navarro Bowman is making a name for himself as well, what do you think about him? Also I heard the former Buckeye Larry Grant stepped in and played well for S.F. late in the season.

--Woody Hayes

Yeah Willis is sick. But Navarro Bowman is making a name for himself as well, what do you think about him? Also I heard the former Buckeye Larry Grant stepped in and played well for S.F. late in the season.
    San Fransisco is just dang good (captain obvious moment right there, lol). Look for example at Aldon Smith. I was much higher on him than most "experts" were on him coming out of college because I watched him here at Mizzou just dominate and make others look silly. However, even I didn't expect the sort of season he would have. They are an organization that drafts very well. If you look at their roster, most of the players they have are drafted by them and they don't have a whole lot of free agents.

Someone pointed out in Bill Simmons' mailbag this week that if you look at the last 10 super bowl champs, you won't find any top tier RBs on their team. In the modern era of the NFL, having en elite RB doesn't seem like it needs to be on the top of the priority list. Spend your draft picks elsewhere.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Someone pointed out in Bill Simmons' mailbag this week that if you look at the last 10 super bowl champs, you won't find any top tier RBs on their team. In the modern era of the NFL, having en elite RB doesn't seem like it needs to be on the top of the priority list. Spend your draft picks elsewhere.
    Probably very similar to having a closer in baseball.

Football is still won in the trenches. Anyone can throw the ball or get open if there's time. On the flip side, even the best QB's would stink if they didn't have a solid line.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What do they all have in common then?

N.E.
    T.B.
    N.E.
    N.E.
    Pitt.
    Colts
    N.Y.G
    Pitt.
    Saints
    Packers

Looks to me like a top tier QB (sans TB who had a sound and experienced one). I like Dalton but if he is to become top tier (perhaps a bit much too ask) it's gonna be awhile. But if you wanna go the TB route you better build one heck of a team around him and that is gonna take more than the draft picks we currently own for this season, unless they pull a pro bowler with every pick. The thing this team needs is someone dynamic to close the gap a great deal IMO. Now is Richardson that player, I don't know but he seems to be one of the best in this draft. And I am looking for one in the backfield because we need that balance so the defense doesn't get to play just the run or the pass.

If we aren't playing for it all every season what are we playing for? So what would you do to put us in such a position next season?
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-16-2012 at 02:34 PM.

--Woody Hayes

What do they all have in common then?

N.E.
    T.B.
    N.E.
    N.E.
    Pitt.
    Colts
    N.Y.G
    Pitt.
    Saints
    Packers

Looks to me like a top tier QB (sans TB who had a sound and experienced one). I like Dalton but if he is to become top tier (perhaps a bit much too ask) it's gonna be awhile. But if you wanna go the TB route you better build one heck of a team around him and that is gonna take more than the draft picks we currently own for this season, unless they pull a pro bowler with every pick. The thing this team needs is someone dynamic to close the gap a great deal IMO. Now is Richardson that player, I don't know but he seems to be one of the best in this draft. And I am looking for one in the backfield because we need that balance so the defense doesn't get to play just the run or the pass.

If we aren't playing for it all every season what are we playing for? So what would you do to put us in such a position next season?
    Brady and Big Ben the first times around were anything but elite QB's. You could say the same thing about NYG with Eli, he was a mediocre QB when the Giants won the super bowl. I don't think Dalton is all that far off from being a Brady, Big Ben, Dilfer, or Eli SB quality QB. Now he may not develop into they QB those guys became but that is a whole different story.

I think most of the battle is getting to the SB. In recent years the games have been ultra competitive with both sides having a chance to win. Can Dalton be as good as a guy like Rex Grossman? Hasslebeck? Alex Smith? Joe Flacco? etc. or guys who made it right to the verge or into the SB. I think so. It just takes an entire team effort, one that a great QB can make a little easier.

Dalton's rookie year stats are very favorable compared to many elite QBs. It's really impossible to know at this point what he might develop into.

I don't think the Bengals should draft a RB though. Use that pick to upgrade the lines or secondary and get a RB in free agency. Michael Bush should be a no brainer if they can get him to come here.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Dalton's rookie year stats are very favorable compared to many elite QBs. It's really impossible to know at this point what he might develop into.

I don't think the Bengals should draft a RB though. Use that pick to upgrade the lines or secondary and get a RB in free agency. Michael Bush should be a no brainer if they can get him to come here.
    I don't care where they find the X-factor they just need to find it. I just happen to think Richardson is the most accessible given the circumstances. I'm not so sure Bush is good enough to keep defenses from focusing on the passing game. In fact I feel pretty strongly he isn't.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?