Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Taylor Mays and Robert Sands are super athletes... not super football players. C.J. Spiller is a freak athlete, but is a complete bum on the football field.

This team needs a difference maker in the secondary, Reggie Nelson is pretty close, but game changer he is not. The Defensive line has two game changers in Dunlap, and Atkins, the linebackers are solid, but our secondary has been poor at best. With Leon Hall and without.

All of that negativity aside, I am pumped about the next decade with Dunlap, Atkins, Green, and Dalton. The Bengals can do some real damage come April with two first round picks and a second round pick. I would love to have a corner/safety, and Lamar Miller (running back out of the University of Miami) in the first, and a guard to replace the human turnstile Livings in the second. Most mocks I have seen, have us taking Janoris Jenkins and Lamar Miller in the first and Cordy Glenn in the second. I'll take that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Taylor Mays and Robert Sands are super athletes... not super football players. C.J. Spiller is a freak athlete, but is a complete bum on the football field.

This team needs a difference maker in the secondary, Reggie Nelson is pretty close, but game changer he is not. The Defensive line has two game changers in Dunlap, and Atkins, the linebackers are solid, but our secondary has been poor at best. With Leon Hall and without.

All of that negativity aside, I am pumped about the next decade with Dunlap, Atkins, Green, and Dalton. The Bengals can do some real damage come April with two first round picks and a second round pick. I would love to have a corner/safety, and Lamar Miller (running back out of the University of Miami) in the first, and a guard to replace the human turnstile Livings in the second. Most mocks I have seen, have us taking Janoris Jenkins and Lamar Miller in the first and Cordy Glenn in the second. I'll take that.
    1). Reggie Nelson still gives up dumb plays most games. He was cut by Jacksonville for a reason and he'll never be accused of being an intelligent guy.

2). Lamar Miller isn't coming out and if he does, then it'll be a huge mistake to draft him in the first or second round. He's soft and injury prone. not exactly a set of attributes you want out of a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Receivers are a dime a dozen.

I'm done arguing about Mays. Until he actually starts, don't bother telling me what he can and cannot do.
    You'll be waiting a while unless someone gets injured. then we'll find out real quick just how much of a liability he is in the secondary.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

If only Dunlap could stay healthy for a full season...

I agree that Nelson has been guilty of some head scratchers, and is out of position too often, but he has been the only guy we have been able to count on to make a play in the secondary. I wasn't saying he is elite, only that he is our best playmaker.

If Lamar Miller isn't a good idea, what about Monte Ball? Either way we need a running back, I really don't see Benson on this team next year. What would you go with?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Receivers are a dime a dozen.

I'm done arguing about Mays. Until he actually starts, don't bother telling me what he can and cannot do.
    He has been in the NFL for two seasons. He has played in 20 games. He hasn't started since week 10 of last season, but has played in most games since then. I think that both teams he has played for, as well as the scouts who talked about his inability to run laterally, know a lot more than we as fans do. If he were that good, he would be on the field a lot more often than he is.

I agree that Nelson has been guilty of some head scratchers, and is out of position too often, but he has been the only guy we have been able to count on to make a play in the secondary. I wasn't saying he is elite, only that he is our best playmaker.

If Lamar Miller isn't a good idea, what about Monte Ball? Either way we need a running back, I really don't see Benson on this team next year. What would you go with?
    I've always liked Cyrus Gray at TAMU, but I'm now sure how he transitions to the NFL. I haven't look at any mocks so I don't know where or who anyone is projecting to be Top 10 picks outside of the QB's.

Try Walterfootball.com. They have the first three rounds, and they update it every week. Although I have seen them make some pretty weird predictions at times. I get all sorts of geeked up for the draft, and with two picks on the first night I will be off the wall excited.

The Bengals have their QB, WR although I would like them to add some depth, defensive line is superb, but our secondary needs help in the worst sort of way. An uprade at either guard spot is priority too. Our running back situation isn't horrible, but I would trade our earliest first rounder and our second rounder, possibly more to land Trent Richardson. Won't happen, but it is a nice thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I wonder what the Browns plan to do at QB for the future. It's his 2nd year and McCoy hasn't exactly taken big strides forward or anything.
    They have to give him the weapons. He's thrown for almost 2,200 yds this year so far (200 yds/game), and done so with mediocre receivers and really no down field threat. Massaquoi has been hurt, in and out, and after that who do we have at WR other then rookie Little (who I think is gonna be a good one)?

The biggest thing that has hurt this team this year - and I didn't expect much with a new head coach, coaching staff, and trying to implement a new offensive scheme - has been injuries. We lost two starters on the O-line almost right off the bat. That hurts. Not only have they not been able to give McCoy protection, but it has badly hampered the running game to the point that our #1 and #2 RBs also got hurt. We just got Hillis back yesterday. He's gone at season's end IMO. I certainly hope they don't give him a huge contract. His being out 6 games with injury could hamper that though.

The only good thing with this team this year, which is playing a lot of youngsters, has been the defense.

It's going to be an interesting draft this year for the Browns. But I certainly can't fault McCoy, looking at what he has had to work with this year.

But it has been fun watching the Bengals.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They have to give him the weapons. He's thrown for almost 2,200 yds this year so far (200 yds/game), and done so with mediocre receivers and really no down field threat. Massaquoi has been hurt, in and out, and after that who do we have at WR other then rookie Little (who I think is gonna be a good one)?
    I'm not sold on McCoy, but as you said, I don't know how any determination could be made about him with how little of a supporting cast he's been given. The Browns need some playmakers on offense. I know everyone loves a good trade-down in the draft, but I think they would have been better off taking Jones than making the trade with Atlanta because they have McCoy as the starting QB. If the Browns knew one way or the other about Colt, I'd understand trading down. But to me it looks like a mistake as they'll have to make an uninformed decision about him this offseason.

Try Walterfootball.com. They have the first three rounds, and they update it every week. Although I have seen them make some pretty weird predictions at times. I get all sorts of geeked up for the draft, and with two picks on the first night I will be off the wall excited.

The Bengals have their QB, WR although I would like them to add some depth, defensive line is superb, but our secondary needs help in the worst sort of way. An uprade at either guard spot is priority too. Our running back situation isn't horrible, but I would trade our earliest first rounder and our second rounder, possibly more to land Trent Richardson. Won't happen, but it is a nice thought.
    I'd suggest these sites:

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft (updated every week and usually very accurate)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php (updated once a month)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'm not sold on McCoy, but as you said, I don't know how any determination could be made about him with how little of a supporting cast he's been given. The Browns need some playmakers on offense. I know everyone loves a good trade-down in the draft, but I think they would have been better off taking Jones than making the trade with Atlanta because they have McCoy as the starting QB. If the Browns knew one way or the other about Colt, I'd understand trading down. But to me it looks like a mistake as they'll have to make an uninformed decision about him this offseason.
    The trade down strategy made a whole lot of sense before everyone wanted to do it. The problem with trading down is you miss out on some of the best talent out there. It always sounds good in principle, but its more difficult to execute than it used to be. Heck just this past draft I wanted the Bengals to trade out of the 4 slot so they could draft Dalton late in the 1st round. Never in my wildest dreams did I think Green would be this good.

Cleveland has been lacking in talent for quite a while now. They just don't have the skill players required at the NFL level. When I see Cleveland play they play hard, play tough, but in the end they lose out because of the difference in talent.

Did anyone catch Simpson's flop today? Just pure comedy gold...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
    I saw the push, did not see the flop. That is simply hilarious. I smell some kind of ESPY for that.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I haven't gotten to watch too many complete games this year, but did this one. From the opening drive, I smelled upset special. Not sure what they were doing differently than expected in the first half, but it had to be something as they were beating us on the line on both sides of the ball. And Gruden was channeling Brat down on the goal line.

But then, as has turned into a trend, the Bengals adjusted in the second half and dominated to bring home the win. The Oline started keeping the Dline out of the backfield, the D held the Browns to a FG, started getting sacks and hits on McCoy, and the tide turned.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I saw the push, did not see the flop. That is simply hilarious. I smell some kind of ESPY for that.
    Wow, that is hilarious

Turn Off Ads?