Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The attendance is down because of Mike Brown and last year. The economy was even worse in 08 and 09 and they constantly sold out. Last year the team was so bad, they were coming out of a strike with their franchise QB quitting, a rookie QB who had no mini camps being touted as a starter, and their best offensive weapon was a rookie. That is a tough season ticket sales strategy if you ask me.
    Well, in 2009 they were barely selling out. In many instances they only sold out because of Ocho buying the remaining tickets to avoid a blackout. They struggled that year with attendance too, just nowhere near this level.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Well, in 2009 they were barely selling out. In many instances they only sold out because of Ocho buying the remaining tickets to avoid a blackout. They struggled that year with attendance too, just nowhere near this level.
    In 2009 they were barely selling out that is true. But I would venture to say that the season ticket base was much higher back then that it is now. I think that last season was the dagger for many season ticket holders. I know two of my friends who walked away from season tickets because they lost the desire to go to games.

I don't really buy those reasons for Cincinnati attendance in general.

I know the Reds did better this past year, but still not that great. We were defending NL Central champs with the National League MVP. It's school nights, weather, economy, yada yada yada. The Bearcats were in prime position to waltz into a BCS game (before Collaros injury) and the attendance was absolutely laughable. The Bengals are in a playoff race and hosting a HUGE game on Sunday and we're nowhere close to a sellout.

I'm sure some fans won't go because of Mike Brown and that's fine, and I'm sure some fans can't afford to go because of the economy and we all understand that, but generally speaking those can't be used as excuses for an entire city. Looking around the country other cities are supporting their sports teams. It's not like the rainy cloud that is the economy is just following around Cincinnati fans and nobody else. When we're showing a lack of support for all of our local teams it has to at some point become the norm. I think we're there.

And yeah I know TV ratings are high, but that's also the case everywhere.

I agree with you Stray.
    But in general, a ticket buying fan base is not something that's built in one year. Fortunately, it isn't often destroyed overnight either. But because the vast majority tickets sold are going to be sold before the season, the Bengals fate was pretty much sealed by August.

The Bengals biggest mistake was letting the people who had been faithful ticket holders find out there was something else to do on Sunday afternoons.

Unfortunately, I think too many fans have become comfortable with finding something else.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I disagree. Its not viewing this team through 'hope' colored glasses. We are so beaten down by this franchise over the last few decades now that its just hard to feel like anything has changed. Yet week after week, season after season....we get the 'gosh, if this had happened' or 'damn we were so close'. Why is it when anyone is realistic is it unfair?
    That is where fans need to have shorter memories and focus on the current cast of characters and quit looking back like an 80 year-old spinster who was jilted as a teenager. To say that game was a "dose of reality" ignores the rest of THIS season. That game, to date, appears to be an anomaly. If you want to die a bitter old fan, go for it. I won't stop you, but I will oppose you when you start to spew the bitterness.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

In 2009 they were barely selling out that is true. But I would venture to say that the season ticket base was much higher back then that it is now. I think that last season was the dagger for many season ticket holders. I know two of my friends who walked away from season tickets because they lost the desire to go to games.
    I agree with you, last year was the dagger. But I think it's been a downward slope for the past 5-6 years for several reasons. The hope of the Palmer years faded. The arrests. The divas on the team. The owner. The lack of anything new to get excited about (like a new head coach). I think the season tickets will rebound next year, but to what extent, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I don't really buy those reasons for Cincinnati attendance in general.

I know the Reds did better this past year, but still not that great. We were defending NL Central champs with the National League MVP. It's school nights, weather, economy, yada yada yada. The Bearcats were in prime position to waltz into a BCS game (before Collaros injury) and the attendance was absolutely laughable. The Bengals are in a playoff race and hosting a HUGE game on Sunday and we're nowhere close to a sellout.

I'm sure some fans won't go because of Mike Brown and that's fine, and I'm sure some fans can't afford to go because of the economy and we all understand that, but generally speaking those can't be used as excuses for an entire city. Looking around the country other cities are supporting their sports teams. It's not like the rainy cloud that is the economy is just following around Cincinnati fans and nobody else. When we're showing a lack of support for all of our local teams it has to at some point become the norm. I think we're there.

And yeah I know TV ratings are high, but that's also the case everywhere.
    While it isn't unique to the Cincinnati area, I think in a lot of cases the vast improvement of the TV in-game experience has lessened the desire of a lot of people to actually attend games. I know a few season season ticket holders who have given up their tickets out of protest and have gotten used to (and actually prefer to) watch the games on TV. It's one of those things when people developed new habits and sometimes it may take awhile to get people to break those new habits.

I know I'm guilty of this sort of behavior. It's so convenient to watch the games in HD, so I've become less inclined to make the trip down from Dayton to watch UC / Reds / Bengals games than I would have been in the past.

The attendance is down because of Mike Brown and last year. The economy was even worse in 08 and 09 and they constantly sold out.
    Overall, the economy was worse a few years ago, but since then people are spending less and less. In my line of work, golf, we've seen decreases in revenue of 3-10% each year for the past few years. Comparing golf and football isn't the perfect comparison, but I do think it shows people are being extremely careful with their disposable income. We've become accustomed to spending less money.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Why go to games when the overall experience is better at home? HDTV has really been a game changer imo plus who wants to deal with traffic issues and drunken louts at the games?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

$8 domestic buckets at the bar don't hurt either.
    Last edited by Newport Red; 12-07-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Why go to games when the overall experience is better at home? HDTV has really been a game changer imo plus who wants to deal with traffic issues and drunken louts at the games?
    I agree. If I'm not tailgating, which I usually only do at college games, I would rather watch the Bengals on tv at home, a friend's house, or a bar.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I hate Mike Brown, but to be perfectly honest they could have a brilliant owner and I still wouldn't attend games. The NFL game day experience is just not for me, and watching at home, with DirecTV Sunday Ticket a click away is impossible to beat. Even going to BW3s or a sports bar is a better experience. Not even considering the abysmal weather they will probably have these last 3 home games.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

You guys make some good points about watching at home. Obviously the problem is when everyone feels like that and the games get blacked out. I would guess that most people want the games to be sold out, they just don't want to be the ones buying the tickets.

I think Mike could do a little more to make the gameday experience at PBS more enjoyable, but having been to quite a few games in the last few years, I do enjoy myself for the most part. Probably a topic for another thread, and something that has been brought up before, but a real NFL problem is how you can't really take children to football games anymore.

I still think in some real sports cities the fans would be embarrassed to be last in attendance with a team in the playoff race, and they'd do something about it. Cincinnati just isn't one of those sports cities anymore, I guess that is the part that I find sad.

On a semi-related note Bill Simmons had a podcast awhile back with the CEO of Ticketmaster discussing some of the ways that the ticket business is evolving and the challenges that teams are facing from the lack of interest in tickets.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nathan-hubbard

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Dunlap and Clements likely out again for Sunday's game, and Simms has been placed on the IR. The Bengals signed former Carolina Panther Nick Hayden in place of him.

Turn Off Ads?