Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Lots of hand wringing folks, face it this is a 6 win team playing over their heads with an easy schedule. I am willing to ride the coaster for awhile as I think these heartbreakers will pay off down the stretch. Dalton strikes me as the type of QB who will continue to take notes and improve for next season. I feel we are 1 draft away from breaking out, but it is tough to be patient.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

Cincinnati, a town that rewards mediocrity.
    We have an underdog mentality here. Too many people think we are just lucky to have pro football and baseball teams. Winning is something we hope for, but we don't really expect it. We make too many excuses for the teams and the owners. We think it is OK that Castellini and Brown prefer profit to winning -- after all Cincinnati is just a small market victim of the big city bullies. We should just be happy to have a team.

In other cities similar to Cincinnati the fans expect to win and demand maximum effort from the players, coaches and owners. They don't tolerate a loser for long. Here we expect to lose and are pleasantly surprised when we win.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    The Bengals record is what it is this year due to the cupcake schedule earned by their performance last season.
    The entire AFC Central plays the NFC West this season. That's where the cupcake schedule comes from. Where you finished the previous season only effects two out of the 16 games each season.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The entire AFC Central plays the NFC West this season. That's where the cupcake schedule comes from. Where you finished the previous season only effects two out of the 16 games each season.
    So instead of the 8 or 9 wins the Bengals may get, the team is really more of a 6 or 7 win team. Which supports my point that, at the moment, they are a below average team but one that is trending upwards.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Lots of hand wringing folks, face it this is a 6 win team playing over their heads with an easy schedule. I am willing to ride the coaster for awhile as I think these heartbreakers will pay off down the stretch. Dalton strikes me as the type of QB who will continue to take notes and improve for next season. I feel we are 1 draft away from breaking out, but it is tough to be patient.
    Just wondering, but how old are you? I'm guessing you are under 25.

No offense, but I've hard/read similar quotes many times over the last 20+ years.

You'll learn.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Just wondering, but how old are you? I'm guessing you are under 25.

No offense, but I've hard/read similar quotes many times over the last 20+ years.

You'll learn.
    Actually I am 38 and have lived through the David Shula era, now those were dark days. That being said I like these kids, Green is going to be a star and I really like Dalton's moxie, just don't see the sense in being miserable when the future actually looks pretty good for this team. In my line of work patience and understanding often pays off and I am willing to give these kids a shot.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Actually I am 38 and have lived through the David Shula era, now those were dark days. That being said I like these kids, Green is going to be a star and I really like Dalton's moxie, just don't see the sense in being miserable when the future actually looks pretty good for this team. In my line of work patience and understanding often pays off and I am willing to give these kids a shot.
    I agree the Bengals have lots of young talent. I just don't have any faith that the coaching staff will be able to get the most out of that talent. They will make more mental mistakes than their opponents every week guaranteed, just like they have for Marvin Lewis' entire tenure.

The Bengals have had good talent, speed and size in the past few years but they always seemed to find a way to do something stupid at key moments that caused them to blow golden opportunities. Lack of talent is not the problem. Lack of intelligence and lack of preparation has been the problem.

The players in recent years have made way too many unforced mental errors like false starts, illegal formations, delay of games, incorrect routes, blown coverages, and running out of bounds while trying to run down the clock. The Bengals have made these mental mistakes far, far more than their opponents have against us.

Mike Zimmer has improved a lot on the defensive side. Gruden is a big improvement from Bratkowski too. But Marvin Lewis is still clueless.

I can't believe all the ways the handed the game to the Texans, but I'm surprised no one is talking about the PI call. Granted, I was in a bar and the game was on one TV and I was quite a distance, but it looked like a really bad call, definitely not the type that should be called to pretty much decide the outcome of the game. Did I just not see it clearly?

It also looked like a pretty bad spot on that 3rd down on the last Bengals possession.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I can't believe all the ways the handed the game to the Texans, but I'm surprised no one is talking about the PI call. Granted, I was in a bar and the game was on one TV and I was quite a distance, but it looked like a really bad call, definitely not the type that should be called to pretty much decide the outcome of the game. Did I just not see it clearly?

It also looked like a pretty bad spot on that 3rd down on the last Bengals possession.
    It looked like he grabbed the receiver's arm as they were running toward the endzone. Not a flagrant foul but he did grab him a little, though it didn't seem to have any effect. It was not as bad as the one they didn't call against the Texans in the endzone a couple possessions earlier. Then there was also the blatant face mask tackle of Bernard Scott that should have been flagged against the Texans.

Yes the spot on that 3rd down play looked like they shorted the Bengals about 1.5 yards, but they never really showed a conclusive angle of the play.

I don't think the officiating decided this game. It was bad, but not nearly as bad as the officiating last week when the Bengals played the Steelers. That did not decide the game either but it was horrible nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I agree the Bengals have lots of young talent. I just don't have any faith that the coaching staff will be able to get the most out of that talent. They will make more mental mistakes than their opponents every week guaranteed, just like they have for Marvin Lewis' entire tenure.

The Bengals have had good talent, speed and size in the past few years but they always seemed to find a way to do something stupid at key moments that caused them to blow golden opportunities. Lack of talent is not the problem. Lack of intelligence and lack of preparation has been the problem.

The players in recent years have made way too many unforced mental errors like false starts, illegal formations, delay of games, incorrect routes, blown coverages, and running out of bounds while trying to run down the clock. The Bengals have made these mental mistakes far, far more than their opponents have against us.
    This is where I'm at.

Just wondering, but how would it have hurt Marvin to have Bernard Scott's 3rd down play reviewed? There's no reason not to review it. Best case, you get the 1st down (and win). Worst case, you lose a TO (that you shouldn't need). Another example of Marvin Lewis.

Marvin Lewis has the easiest head coaching job in sports. If they win he's soooper and wins coach of the year. They lose? Ahh, they weren't supposed to be any good.

He still hasn't won a playoff game but has one of the longest coaching tenures in the NFL. And you never hear anyone in the media question him or state the obvious that he should be on the hotseat.

Lather, rinse. Repeat.

Well the Raiders are getting destroyed by the Packers and Tebow continues to turn water into wine in Denver so right now our competition is with the New York Jets.

They have a game on us so we obviously need to win our next two games and hope they drop one of them, then the season ender against Baltimore will be huge.

That said, even if we find a way to get in I don't think we can do a lot, not with our pass defense. Just that as bad as this loss is we still have a pulse.

And they finished it off in Denver, that doesn't clinch for them I don't think, but they're in the drivers seat in the AFC West. My 2nd favorite team is now whoever the Jets are playing from here on out.

unrelated to this thread, but what Tebow is doing out there is hard to even wrap your mind around. Just unreal.

The Tebow stuff is nonsense. His kicker kicks a 59 yarder. If the Bears don't make a bonehead play late in the game, it's over. He's not a good NFL QB and the team is winning with a good defense, a good running game, and a lot of luck right now. Tebow will not be a starter in the NFL at this time next year most likely.

Who here would want him as the starting QB of their favorite football team? Not me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The Tebow stuff is nonsense. His kicker kicks a 59 yarder. If the Bears don't make a bonehead play late in the game, it's over. He's not a good NFL QB and the team is winning with a good defense, a good running game, and a lot of luck right now. Tebow will not be a starter in the NFL at this time next year most likely.

Who here would want him as the starting QB of their favorite football team? Not me.
    There's something to the 'he brings the best out of his players' I think. Those guys on defense weren't playing that well early in the year. It seems like the team around him have all elevated their game.

Also, in the 4th quarter and OT Tebow was amazing passing the ball.

Turn Off Ads?