Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

So who has the Bengals beating the Ravens (who need a win to get a bye, assuming the Steelers beat the Browns)?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Are you sure about that? Let's look at the possibilities for the #6 seed: Tenn, Oak, Den, NY Jets and the Bengals. Which one isn't a flawed team? Which one doesn't have significant downsides?
    I'm not saying those teams aren't flawed. All I'm saying is a No. 6 team (a team that, by your definition, has to be flawed) won a Super Bowl just a couple of years ago.

And I'd argue that every single team in the NFL besides the Packers is flawed. The Ravens, arguably the AFC's second-best team, have losses this year to the Titans, Seahawks and Jaguars, all teams that the Bengals have beaten. The 49ers, the NFC's second-best team, is anemic on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So who has the Bengals beating the Ravens (who need a win to get a bye, assuming the Steelers beat the Browns)?
    I think the Bengals find a way on Sunday in front of a jacked-up, sold-out crowd.

Mo Eggers was on 700wlw and reported that the Bengals game has officially soldout.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I'm not saying those teams aren't flawed. All I'm saying is a No. 6 team (a team that, by your definition, has to be flawed) won a Super Bowl just a couple of years ago.

And I'd argue that every single team in the NFL besides the Packers is flawed. The Ravens, arguably the AFC's second-best team, have losses this year to the Titans, Seahawks and Jaguars, all teams that the Bengals have beaten. The 49ers, the NFC's second-best team, is anemic on offense.
    Last Year a NFC #6 seed won the Superbowl. and in 2005 a AFC #6 Seed won it. once you get in Anything can and usually does happen.

Based on what the talking heads expected for the Bengals in 2011, 7 wins would have been a miracle. Did you see how bad they were in preseason? The predictions were justified.

If you feel depressed or negative about this team, then you simply aren't a good student of recent history or your standards are way too high for everything.

Kudos to Marvin, Jay, Zim, and the Brown family for proving us all wrong with great drafting, signings and coaching. I hope they play with nothing to lose and hand it to the Ravens!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

Then where did you disagree with me? I said that the #6 team was flawed. I never commented on whether they could get hot and go to the Super Bowl. You correctly state that those are two different things. I'm puzzled where your disagreement is

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Like when I jumped on the Colts bandwagon when I got a Marvin Harrison jersey before Manning was even drafted? Please don't assume you know everything about me, or I will just start making things up about you and posting them as the truth.

And if you don't think that, besides drafting Manning, the Bengals and Colts organizations are very different in terms of wanting to win and knowing how to treat their fans, then I'm not sure we have much more to discuss.
    Well, there were some similarities between the two franchises. The Irsays were hated for a long time, and not until Irsay senior passed away that things really started to change. They ran the Colts like a mom and pop operation for years just like Mike Brown did. The difference is, Bill Polian came on board in Indy, as well as Tony Dungy. Instantly pumping up their credibility, and for good reason. I don't see Mike Brown ever making that step.

But in fairness to him, it's been a long time since the Bengals were the joke of the league because of on-field performance. The 90s are long since dead. He doesn't do everything right, or most things right, but he's doing a lot more right than he used to, whether it's luck or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    This. 3 winning seasons and zero playoff wins over the last 21 seasons is abysmal, especially when you factor in the parity of the NFL. What I've come to realize is Mike Brown simply doesn't care, and why would he? Sunday will sell out, and in 2012 more fans will jump on season tickets. Wash, rinse, repeat. And all of this with outrageous ticket prices, almost $70 for the worst seats in the house (a house that taxpayers paid for).

If Mike Brown really wanted to win, he would hire a GM, improve scouting and build a practice bubble. Heck, even 1 or 2 of these things may convince me he values winning over doing the minimum required to turn a nice profit. But why would he do these things when he can get sellouts and fans by having a successful season every 5 or 6 years?
    Yes, three winning seasons in 21 years. But also, three winning seasons in the last seven seasons. Still not great, but when you factor in some 8-8s and 7-9s... not bad. For the Bengals anyways, haha.

Look, I agree with most of what you say. He's a cheap $%@. However, the minimal scouting department hasn't hurt them in recent years. And the current coaching staff does a great job pitching in and making it clear what the team needs are, and Mike Brown drafts accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Mo Eggers was on 700wlw and reported that the Bengals game has officially soldout.
    I wonder how many people will come disguised as empty seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder how many people will come disguised as empty seats.
    Every seat in PBS is now sold out, including single seats and the high-priced club level seats.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the loudest, most jacked-up crowds in stadium history.

Gregg Doyel absolutely killed it here...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-its-the-owner

I think its silly to not go to a professional sports game because one thinks the owner is a schmuck. Strictly personal opinion, but that just seems like so much excuse making to me. And I'd agree with cincrazy on the recent performance not being commensurate with the poor attendance.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think its silly to not go to a professional sports game because one thinks the owner is a schmuck. Strictly personal opinion, but that just seems like so much excuse making to me. And I'd agree with cincrazy on the recent performance not being commensurate with the poor attendance.
    He's way worse than a schmuck. I'll never go to another game as long as he's the owner. No chance. That evil man won't get any extra money from me.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Yes, that editorial by Doyel really nails it perfectly.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?