Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Gruden to Jax was the topic of conversation on sports radio all day here today. No one seems enthralledwith the other public candidates so there wasn't a lot of negativity around the Gruden idea. Although, there wasn't tons of enthusiasm either. The new owner seems committed to finding a coach that can develop Gabbert. That's all they seem to be concerned with, which is why Gruden seems like a good match with what he's done with Dalton. Everything else seems secondary to finding the right guy for Gabbert.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gruden seems like he'd do a good job, but that's a meteoric rise. I'm sure his last name is helping him. I hope he sticks around, going through another offensive coordinator can't be viewed as a plus to Dalton's development.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Gruden seems like he'd do a good job, but that's a meteoric rise. I'm sure his last name is helping him. I hope he sticks around, going through another offensive coordinator can't be viewed as a plus to Dalton's development.
    I am hopeful that either Gruden or Zimmer become the next Bengal head coach and Marvin moves upstairs to be the psuedo GM. I think Gruden will make a good head coach but Jax shouldn't get ahead of themselves. The Mangini and McRoberts all were pretty unproven coming from the Patriots orgainzation and were failures as a head coach. Being a good coordinator doesn't make a good head coach. I am being somewhat selfish in that I don't want to see Gruden leave but also realisitc in that he isn't ready to be a coach. Now on to Zimmer and you have a different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Gruden to Jax was the topic of conversation on sports radio all day here today. No one seems enthralledwith the other public candidates so there wasn't a lot of negativity around the Gruden idea. Although, there wasn't tons of enthusiasm either. The new owner seems committed to finding a coach that can develop Gabbert. That's all they seem to be concerned with, which is why Gruden seems like a good match with what he's done with Dalton. Everything else seems secondary to finding the right guy for Gabbert.
    Problem is there is no helping the helpless. That guy is scared to death, never seen a guy worse and that I noticed in his college play, of course after Merrill Hoge pointed it out last pre-draft. I have to think Gruden himself knows this, had to have seen this breaking him down.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If Gruden leaves for Jacksonville, how about this for the next Bengals offensive coordinator: Hue Jackson.

Rumors are circulating today that Hue could be on the outs with the new Raiders GM, and we all know how much Mike Brown likes him and vice versa. Oh the endless irony should that scenario play out.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/hue-j...n-the-way-out/

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    If Gruden leaves for Jacksonville, how about this for the next Bengals offensive coordinator: Hue Jackson.

Rumors are circulating today that Hue could be on the outs with the new Raiders GM, and we all know how much Mike Brown likes him and vice versa. Oh the endless irony should that scenario play out.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/hue-j...n-the-way-out/
    With Dalton the Bengals would need to find a West Coast guy, wouldn't they?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That's what I saw as well--pushing buttons. Sorry Dom if you were just "kidding," but aren't you a Steelers fan?
    I am a Bengals fan. The Steelers are my personal most hated team in professional sports.

I knock the Bengals out of love, I do. Twenty years is a long time to not have a playoff win- it's frustrating. The point I was ineloquently trying to make was that here they were in a big game, again, losing to the better team and backing into the playoffs where I just have this sinking feeling they are out again. I'm more of a process guy than results. You could play 10 teams equivalent to the Cleveland Browns, win them all, and make the playoffs. That's close to what the Bengals did, and it doesn't bode well for a playoff run. That may be stating the obvious, but just making the playoffs isn't a huge feat. The Bengals are the only team in the NFL to not win a playoff game in twenty years. That's ugly, and as a fan, I'm not going to jumping for joy just because they got there the way they did.

I hope I'm wrong today- go Bengals!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I am a Bengals fan. The Steelers are my personal most hated team in professional sports.

I knock the Bengals out of love, I do. Twenty years is a long time to not have a playoff win- it's frustrating. The point I was ineloquently trying to make was that here they were in a big game, again, losing to the better team and backing into the playoffs where I just have this sinking feeling they are out again. I'm more of a process guy than results. You could play 10 teams equivalent to the Cleveland Browns, win them all, and make the playoffs. That's close to what the Bengals did, and it doesn't bode well for a playoff run. That may be stating the obvious, but just making the playoffs isn't a huge feat. The Bengals are the only team in the NFL to not win a playoff game in twenty years. That's ugly, and as a fan, I'm not going to jumping for joy just because they got there the way they did.

I hope I'm wrong today- go Bengals!
    Well posted.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Have we ever beaten Houston?
    You had them beat when you faced them towards the end of the regular season. That last minute of the game still has me shaking my head. The Texans lost their last 3 regular season games (again - should have been 4), and to teams like Indy, Carolina, and Tenn.

The Bengals just couldn't take advantage of opportunities when they presented themselves. That non-INT by Crocker hurt. The JJ "Hey! Look what I found!" Watt INT changed the momentum of the game IMO.

Wade Phillips wasn't much as a head coach; but is a solid defensive coordinator. And it was good seeing his Dad Bum too.

My younger brother, whose been a huge Bengal fan since they've existed, hates Marvin Lewis and wants him out of there.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-08-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Houstan made plays. The Bengals didn't. It's really that simple.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Houstan made plays. The Bengals didn't. It's really that simple.
    Are we ever going to? Ever? It is tough being a fan...I will say this: At least this bunch of guys is very likable.

Yeah, that JJ Watts play completely turned the game around. I thought the Bengals had played pretty well in the first half and were in decent position for the second half. But Watts stuck a hand up and it was a fluke play but a nice play by him (and unlucky as hell for the Bengals) and suddenly instead of the Bengals moving down for halftime lead score, they are down 17-10.

Then the second half, Crocker drops that sure INT and an injured Adam Jones bites like a rookie on the out-and-up and Bengals are down 24-10 and that's all she wrote. Houston defense gets to ignore the run and tee off on Dalton and Houston offense gets to hide TJ Yates and hand the ball off to their 1000 yard rushers. Plus Reliant Stadium sounds like a 747 on takeoff.

Bengals need some upgrading at LB. Rey Maualuga continues to get sealed off and I can't remember the OLBs getting their names called for doing anything. Second week in a row they get gashed badly by the oppositions running game.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Early look at the 2012 Schedule...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...-giants-eagles

They really seemed to panic coming out of halftime, not sure if that is coaching or if I am wrong, but it felt that way. And Dalton had his worst game as a pro, on a couple of different levels (statistically, and it was disappointing how rattled he seemed to get.)

Hopefully they can build on this, but they have a lot of holes. Need to resign the right guys, get a couple of smart free agents, and nail the draft.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

There are a lot of similarities between the Falcons and Bengals when it comes to performance in the playoffs. The Falcons have been a decent regular season team, but every time they get to the playoffs, they look completely unprepared and in over their heads and play well below their talent level.

I think it comes down to coaching. It's a different animal in the playoffs. I've generally defended Marvin and think he's done as well as he can. It's not the fact that they've lost in the playoffs, but they way they've looked doing it that makes me think he's just in over his head. I think Mike Smith might be in the same position.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?