Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

People can be bitter all they want about the Steelers/Ravens' success, but enough with the 'same old Bengals' crap. This is a new decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Take a step back and realize what some of you guys are saying. Three months ago we were all fretting about how few wins this team might get this year and how bad they could potentially be.....now there's talk about them making the playoffs. My how things have changed! I don't care if they make the playoffs or not this year (although I'd love it if they got in). I'm just thrilled that they've surprised some folks this year and are doing way better than anyone thought they would with so many inexperienced players on the roster. This team is enjoyable to watch and I'm very excited for the rest of this season as well as for their future.
    I agree with you and have posted similar thoughts in this thread. But to play devil's advocate, this team won a division title 2 years ago. I am not sure why limping to a .500 record two years later is somehow acceptable.

Despite what many people keep saying, MANY past Bengals teams showed a lot of heart and made dramatic comebacks against the Ravens and Steelers. In 2009, Carson Palmer led the team in a game very similar to this one at Baltimore, except they were able to win. (He also led the team to a thrilling come-from-behind win over Pittsburgh at home.) I swear, sometimes I think I'm the only Bengals fan who remembers that 2009 happened. All these comments along the lines of "past Bengals teams would have folded when down 17!" just aren't true at all about many recent teams, or really most of Marvin's teams, IMO.

In any event, I will continue to feel good about this team as long as they keep winning the games they are supposed to win, and that includes Cleveland this week. That is the type of game they absolutely can't lose, and the pressure will really be on, and I will have no problem calling the team a major disappointment if they lose. This is really the first must-win game of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I want to hear the reasoning for blaming Dunn and Stubbs. I can at least trace back my crazy Pete Rose theory. The Bengals and Reds both sucked for long periods of time before those guys came along. When Pete Rose was voted to be ineligible for the HOF, February 1991, the Bengals were coming off of a winning season and the Reds off of a World Series win. How have things been since for sports in Cincinnati?
    This theory is absurd. For one, Pete had already been long disgraced when that vote happened. If he did put some sort of sports curse on the city, it would have happened when he was banned from baseball. But that happened in August 1989; the Reds won the World Series not 1.5 years later. (Pete watched that World Series from a jail cell, if I recall.) And even given your date of February 1991, the Reds have had some success since then, and have won a playoff series since then.

It's obvious to me that only one team in this city is really cursed, and it's the Bengals. And it's equally obvious that they are cursed as a result of ending the career of Bo Jackson, who was probably the greatest athlete in American history, but whose career was sadly cut short by the Bengals. (We didn't end his career totally, but he was never the same.) That was in 1990. The Bengals didn't make the playoffs again until 2005, when they lost to their most hated rivals in one game. And again in 2009 they lost in Round 1 in embarrassing fashion. They have simply never been the same since they ended Bo's career, and I'm pretty sure the Sports Gods will make sure they never will be.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    This theory is absurd. For one, Pete had already been long disgraced when that vote happened. If he did put some sort of sports curse on the city, it would have happened when he was banned from baseball. But that happened in August 1989; the Reds won the World Series not 1.5 years later. (Pete watched that World Series from a jail cell, if I recall.) And even given your date of February 1991, the Reds have had some success since then, and have won a playoff series since then.

It's obvious to me that only one team in this city is really cursed, and it's the Bengals. And it's equally obvious that they are cursed as a result of ending the career of Bo Jackson, who was probably the greatest athlete in American history, but whose career was sadly cut short by the Bengals. (We didn't end his career totally, but he was never the same.) That was in 1990. The Bengals didn't make the playoffs again until 2005, when they lost to their most hated rivals in one game. And again in 2009 they lost in Round 1 in embarrassing fashion. They have simply never been the same since they ended Bo's career, and I'm pretty sure the Sports Gods will make sure they never will be.
    I like my theory better. I hate Pete Rose for what he did to this team and city.

I agree with you and have posted similar thoughts in this thread. But to play devil's advocate, this team won a division title 2 years ago. I am not sure why limping to a .500 record two years later is somehow acceptable.

Despite what many people keep saying, MANY past Bengals teams showed a lot of heart and made dramatic comebacks against the Ravens and Steelers. In 2009, Carson Palmer led the team in a game very similar to this one at Baltimore, except they were able to win. (He also led the team to a thrilling come-from-behind win over Pittsburgh at home.) I swear, sometimes I think I'm the only Bengals fan who remembers that 2009 happened. All these comments along the lines of "past Bengals teams would have folded when down 17!" just aren't true at all about many recent teams, or really most of Marvin's teams, IMO.

In any event, I will continue to feel good about this team as long as they keep winning the games they are supposed to win, and that includes Cleveland this week. That is the type of game they absolutely can't lose, and the pressure will really be on, and I will have no problem calling the team a major disappointment if they lose. This is really the first must-win game of the year.
    2009 seems like a distant memory doesn't it. 2009 was a fun year, with a lot of dramatic comebacks. But to me its really the different directions that the teams are going. The 09 team did it with a bunch of vets, smash mouth football, with a good but aging defense. This team is doing it when no one expected anything of them, their best players are young, very young, and the team should be trending in the right direction. Oh and throw in an offensive game plan that isn't stagnant based upon what worked 3 years ago.

The Bengals absolutely need to win the Cleveland game. They can afford 2 more losses on the schedule and make the playoffs. I do think the Bengals will beat the Ravens at home, even if the Ravens are going full bore, but I really would like to see that game not matter.

Let's also remember that the Bengals were predicted to go 0-16 this season, how can being a .500 team or 9-7 be disappointing. Yes Cleveland is a must win game for this team. Hopefully Green is back, and I love being excited in late NOV.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Dalton gets horsecollared and they hit him for intentional grounding. Crazy game!
    They were explaining on Sportstalk after the game that the Horsecollar rule doesn't apply to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Which makes sense(sort of) because the reason a horse collar tackle is so dangerous is if a runner is running one direction, and gets yanked in the other direction it causes whiplash. Not as severe if a person is stationary and gets pulled down that way.

What I didn't understand was the announcers saying Dalton made a bad decision by chucking it there. One thing I've always thought was that the Intentional grounding penalty wasn't severe enough. The penalty is that essentially the other team is awarded a sack. So from where Dalton was,completely wrapped up, it's not like he was going to get anything anyway. Might as well chuck it in the general direction of the receiver and see if you get lucky with a no call.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Periara had more to say about the call courtesy of Bengals.com

“Gresham was going to the ground to complete the catch, but he had complete control of the ball in his right hand before the ball hit the ground,” Pereira wrote. “I do agree that the ball moves slightly when it hits the ground, but in this case Gresham kept his right hand on the ball the entire time. The ball will always move, which is why referees are told never to use that terminology. You either maintain possession or you lose possession, which means your hands come off the ball.

In the end, it’s all about judgment. But you need absolutely indisputable evidence to overturn a ruling on the field.”
    The Johnson rule wasn't what upset me yesterday. It was the fact that there was not enough evidence to overturn it. I looked at the replay over and over again with CBS and could not say with 100% certainty that his hand came off the ball.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    They were explaining on Sportstalk after the game that the Horsecollar rule doesn't apply to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Which makes sense(sort of) because the reason a horse collar tackle is so dangerous is if a runner is running one direction, and gets yanked in the other direction it causes whiplash. Not as severe if a person is stationary and gets pulled down that way.

What I didn't understand was the announcers saying Dalton made a bad decision by chucking it there. One thing I've always thought was that the Intentional grounding penalty wasn't severe enough. The penalty is that essentially the other team is awarded a sack. So from where Dalton was,completely wrapped up, it's not like he was going to get anything anyway. Might as well chuck it in the general direction of the receiver and see if you get lucky with a no call.
    I'm unable to check the video now, but I could've sworn Dalton was also hit on the helmet or facemask during that non-horsecollar grounding play, which would've given them new life.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I could've sworn Dalton was also hit on the helmet or facemask during that non-horsecollar grounding play, which would've given them new life.
    You are 100% correct. Unfortunately, the officials didn't call it.

Not to harp on the calls but I also noticed on the Gresham "non TD" call that Kyle Cook gets his helmet ripped off by a Ravens' player. Shortly after the snap, you see his helmet go flying in the air about 3-5 yards yet no hands to the face or unnecessary roughness penalty? It was 3rd and 2 and would have extended the drive.

Somewhat unrelated, but when was the last time any NFL team had back-to-back drafts as successful as the Bengals' 2010 and 2011 drafts, especially without any extra picks?

Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley and Geno Atkins?!? WOW.
    Go BLUE!!!

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Something to note:

Of Dalton's 12 interceptions, two were intended for Simpson and Gresham, three for Green, and SEVEN for Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Somewhat unrelated, but when was the last time any NFL team had back-to-back drafts as successful as the Bengals' 2010 and 2011 drafts, especially without any extra picks?

Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley and Geno Atkins?!? WOW.
    And this bodes very well for the next two drafts, assuming the trend continues. It's ridiculous how stacked the Bengals are shaping up to be in 2012 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    And this bodes very well for the next two drafts, assuming the trend continues. It's ridiculous how stacked the Bengals are shaping up to be in 2012 and beyond.

I agree it looks promising. But I guess I've been 'Bungalized' too much over the years. Whenever this team has high expectations, they always seem to cave. Looking back, it's kind of hard to believe the Bengals only went to the playoffs twice with Palmer as their QB.

Cheers to hoping Dalton and Co. bring an end to that next season.

Turn Off Ads?