Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Somewhat unrelated, but when was the last time any NFL team had back-to-back drafts as successful as the Bengals' 2010 and 2011 drafts, especially without any extra picks?

Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley and Geno Atkins?!? WOW.
    I'm amazed at how many people complain about the weak 'blows' to the head of the QB's when its against their team but are begging for it when it's done against them. I'd like to see more consistency from NFL fans and hate all of them no matter if it was your team or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    And this bodes very well for the next two drafts, assuming the trend continues. It's ridiculous how stacked the Bengals are shaping up to be in 2012 and beyond.

I have a feeling the Bengals will blow any goodwill created by trading Carson Palmer by selecting Janoris Jenkins.

Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Seems quiet on the Carson Palmer front in here. Maybe he wasn't going to be awful for them afterall. I can't imagine Oakland fans are disappointed in the deal.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Fair enough MWM. He's been much better than I anticipated. Maybe the 1/2 year off refreshed him and getting into a situation where he was happier has helped motivate him. Still happier with the Bengals end of things though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Seems quiet on the Carson Palmer front in here. Maybe he wasn't going to be awful for them afterall. I can't imagine Oakland fans are disappointed in the deal.

I obviously can't speak for every fan, but I haven't even really thought about Carson for the last few weeks. Dealing Carson provided the closure needed for most fans to focus on the team I believe. The Bengals are in the Playoff hunt and exceeding expectations by leaps and bounds. That is what has my interest now. I can't believe I am saying this, but it is a great time to be a Bengals fan IMO.

It may end up being a good deal for Oakland, but it was a phenomenal deal for the Bengals. It was pretty obvious Carson wasn't bluffing and was never going to play for them again. So, they basically got 1 first round pick and 1 first or second, but didn't have to actually give up anything.

That said, I'd rather the Bengals not make the playoffs than lose in the playoffs to the quitter. That would be awful to see a quitter be rewarded like that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the deal and have gotten on the Dalton wagon. I'm happy to have him as the QB for the next several years. But there were a lot of people saying Carson wasn't any good anymore, especially after this first week and that this was a bad deal for Oakland and they were going to see very quickly.

I've always thought all the problems couldn't be on Carson, although he shared some of the blame. I didn't think Palmer went from being a borderline elite QB to forgetting how to be a good one altogether. I was a big believer that almost no QB could have been successful under Bratkowski the last few years. I thought if he was given a chance somewhere else he would show that he's still got plenty of skills. They haven't played world beaters yet, but to look as good as he has the last couple of weeks considering he's only had about a month, and that was mid-season, is impressive. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a resurgent Carson Palmer the next couple of years. I don't think he'll get back to 2005 levels, but I think he'll be closer to that than 2010.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't think he'll (Palmer) get back to 2005 levels.....
    Kimo von Oelhoffen made sure of that...............but [sarcasm] it wasn't on purpose [/sarcasm].

Kyle Orton just got released by Denver.

Have to imagine Chicago and Houston will be all over him. The Raiders may have been too, had they not given up potentially TWO first round picks for Carson Palmer
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Have to imagine Chicago and Houston will be all over him. The Raiders may have been too, had they not given up potentially TWO first round picks for Carson Palmer
    That organization.... no one is sold on their current QB within the organization, so they cut the back up? Pure genius.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the deal and have gotten on the Dalton wagon. I'm happy to have him as the QB for the next several years. But there were a lot of people saying Carson wasn't any good anymore, especially after this first week and that this was a bad deal for Oakland and they were going to see very quickly.

I've always thought all the problems couldn't be on Carson, although he shared some of the blame. I didn't think Palmer went from being a borderline elite QB to forgetting how to be a good one altogether. I was a big believer that almost no QB could have been successful under Bratkowski the last few years. I thought if he was given a chance somewhere else he would show that he's still got plenty of skills. They haven't played world beaters yet, but to look as good as he has the last couple of weeks considering he's only had about a month, and that was mid-season, is impressive. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a resurgent Carson Palmer the next couple of years. I don't think he'll get back to 2005 levels, but I think he'll be closer to that than 2010.
    I think it's far too early to proclaim much of anything. Has he looked "that good" as you put it? He's thrown more interceptions than touchdowns thus far. I'm not suggesting he can't be a good QB, but rather, it's just too early to tell.

Oh I'm not proclaiming him returned to his best. But there were those proclaiming very definitively that he was done, wasn't any good anymore, a bad QB. I think those were clearly immature. The guy was once a superb QB, and it wasn't that long ago. He didn't just forget how to do that.

The trade demand might end up being the best thing for his elbow as it allowed him a lot more time to rest unlike in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think it's far too early to proclaim much of anything. Has he looked "that good" as you put it? He's thrown more interceptions than touchdowns thus far. I'm not suggesting he can't be a good QB, but rather, it's just too early to tell.
    His arm has looked at lot better in the highlights I've seen outside of the KC game in which he probably should have never played.
    Not sure how long it will last, but I'm guessing the extra time off and playing in a warmer climate will help.

The Raiders couldn't wait for the possibility of someone like Orton being released.
    Boller is garbage and Pryor still has a way to go before he should even be considered at #2.
    The Raiders have a ton of speed and if Palmers arm is healthy then hes a good fit for them since they like to run the ball and take shots deep.

Turn Off Ads?