Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joey Votto/Rays rumor on 97.1

Joey Votto/Rays rumor on 97.1

I don't know how reliable this is but was just listening to 97.1 on the way home from school and they said that there are Votto/Shields rumors after it has been made apparent that Votto will test free agency... I'm not sure whose show it was on, but just heard them talking about it on the way home.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I mean I wish we could keep Votto but it really isn't going to happen so trade him and get 3-5 players in return plus payroll flexibility.

Re: Joey Votto/Rays rumor on 97.1

Walt says Votto is not going anywhere. Reds will try to lock him up. Good luck with that.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...is-winter.html

Ok now if he saying this to drive up the price for his trade value I am all for it but if he truly wants to sign him long term then we are doomed for the next 6 years, especially if we resign Phillips. I mean we already have payroll constraints and he we extend him for the same price that Pujols and Fielder are going to get then we might has well call us the Cincinnati Vottos because we won't be competing. My comparison financially for Votto would be Teixeira (multiple GG plus Votto has an MVP award). Teix makes $23.125m per year while its only 10% of the NYY payroll that would be 26% of a $90m payroll, which we don't have yet. Not to mention in 2014 which would be the first year of his contract Bruce and Cueto each get $10m. So between 3 players we have almost 1/2 of our payroll and that's if we don't sign Phillips to his expected 3-4 years at $12m per year, which would then put us at $55m for 4 players out of around a $90m payroll. That's just great economic efficiency, whose running this team, Barrack Obama? Not only that by going off of what everyone wants to do to get pitching we won't have good cheap talent to balance it out. There was a thread saying will Pujols cost the Cardinals to compete in future. I don't know if Pujols will but I know Votto will. So please let's resign him and screw out future ability to compete.

Phillips will not be signed long term, his best years are behind him

That would be horrible. I don't want another Hamilton-Volquez deal. We need one of Moore or Hellickson along with Shields to make this deal work.

I think of you could get Jennings and Moore or Hellickson for Votto and a low minor league prospect it would be a great trade

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Phillips will not be signed long term, his best years are behind him
    I see the Reds offering him a 4-5 year deal for around 60-70 million. He is a Reds type of player and a fan favorite.

I don't think there's any way that they give up Hellboy or Moore. Moving Shields is to free up a space for Moore. Maybe Upton. But I doubt it would be for Votto too, TB is in the same cash flow- attendance problem the reds have.

A deal involving Votto and David Price could make a lot of sense for both teams, the Reds would get a legitimate TOR arm while Tampa would address a need at 1B and replace Price with Matt Moore in the rotation.

The money doesn't quite match up, but if they were able to expand the deal to Votto and Stubbs for Price and Upton I think it'd work out for both teams.

Turn Off Ads?