Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jocketty puts a end to Votto rumors; extension possible?

Re: Jocketty puts a end to Votto rumors; extension possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever come out and said they know that Joey is hell bent on testing the market.

The thought of it may grate on your nerves but there is a real and distinct possibility it happens.
    There are a number of folks on this board who have spoke with such certitude. Folks like me who have taken umbrage with that attempt to balance that because it's simply not true. He's never said anything that could be taken as definite.

I don't disagree with you that it's likely to happen and I would never been so naive to think otherwise. But Votto's never made certain what his intentions are. It's a heckuva balancing act for the club and the fans, but that's the reality we're in.

Jocketty's original statements may be a smokescreen, but it's just as likely that he's working to take that pressure off for this offseason. I don't question that his attempts to negotiate an extension are sincere. Whether he'll succeed is, of course, open to debate. As you aptly note, it's not likely to happen. Those aren't mealy mouthed qualifiers; it's just stating the present reality.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    There are a number of folks on this board who have spoke with such certitude. Folks like me who have taken umbrage with that attempt to balance that because it's simply not true. He's never said anything that could be taken as definite.

I don't disagree with you that it's likely to happen and I would never been so naive to think otherwise. But Votto's never made certain what his intentions are. It's a heckuva balancing act for the club and the fans, but that's the reality we're in.

Jocketty's original statements may be a smokescreen, but it's just as likely that he's working to take that pressure off for this offseason. I don't question that his attempts to negotiate an extension are sincere. Whether he'll succeed is, of course, open to debate. As you aptly note, it's not likely to happen. Those aren't mealy mouthed qualifiers; it's just stating the present reality.
    I am with you here. It seems everyone or most here are already certain that he is and no way is this team able to keep him. Do they know what the budget will be in 2013 or 2014? How the heck do they know exactly what this guy wants and how much this team could really afford by then?

When a big star hits free agency, how often does he stay with his original team? Keep in mind that Votto was unwilling to sell any of his free agent years during the last round. If the reds can't extend him this offseason, I'd become very pessimistic that theyll ultimately be able to keep him.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

In order to do this you have to hope that you have a guy like Hamilton who can replace Phillips when he becomes expensive. Or a guy like Boxberger can replace a closer at a fraction of the cost. Mesoraco can replace a Hernandez and Frazier/Francisco can replace an aging Rolen at a fraction of the cost.
    Wouldn't that also include a cheap Alonso replacing an expensive Votto? Why is Votto different? Because of his production? Ok. But if the guy won't stay?

The Reds need to grow a pair and make a hard decision. I hope WJ has the foresight and fortitude to make the right one.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Wouldn't that also include a cheap Alonso replacing an expensive Votto? Why is Votto different? Because of his production? Ok. But if the guy won't stay?

The Reds need to grow a pair and make a hard decision. I hope WJ has the foresight and fortitude to make the right one.
    At some point in time, the Reds have to pony up the cash to keep a player who's worth keeping when he gets expensive. Joey Votto IS that type of player. I don't know that he will stay (or that he's even interested in staying), but they need to make every effort to make it happen. The odds of Yonder replacing Votto's production is simply silly. I'd love to see him become that good, but there's nothing to indicate he will.

Dealing off players every time they hit FA is a bad way to run a club. Stability does have it's benefits too.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    At some point in time, the Reds have to pony up the cash to keep a player who's worth keeping when he gets expensive. Joey Votto IS that type of player. I don't know that he will stay (or that he's even interested in staying), but they need to make every effort to make it happen. The odds of Yonder replacing Votto's production is simply silly. I'd love to see him become that good, but there's nothing to indicate he will.

Dealing off players every time they hit FA is a bad way to run a club. Stability does have it's benefits too.
    I'm not sure the instance of trading Adam Dunn qualifies as a history. That's the only one I can think of where the Reds have faced that decision in the current era. There was Barry Larkin before that, when Lindner caved to public sentiment, which is about the same situation they are in with Brandon Phillips now.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?