Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will they Reds offer Ramon Hernandez arbitration? Should they?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and they should

23 35.38%
  • Yes but I wouldn't

6 9.23%
  • No but they should (cheap bastards!)

5 7.69%
  • No way nor should they

31 47.69%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramon Hernandez Arbitration

Ramon Hernandez Arbitration

He is a Type A FA, and because he is a "high" Type A, he doesn't look like he'll lose his status in the new CBA. If the Reds offer him arb and he declines, the Reds will get an extra first or second round pick depending on who signs him. I believe the deadline for the Reds to make that decision is coming up next week.

Will the Reds offer Ramon Hernandez, and should they?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ramon Hernandez Arbitration

I voted no, but of course if they somehow knew he wouldn't accept, that would make it a yes.

Because I was incredulous that the club didn't trade him at the deadline for something/anything, I'm going to base my vote of "yes" on the assumption that they have a handshake agreement with Ramon to offer arb and he'll turn it down.

Granted, that still requires a team to offer Ramon a contract knowing they'll lose the picks.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I say NO to arb offer. I would have thought he would have had some value at trade deadline, but who knows.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think they will, but I wouldn't. If they do, I think he's a Red next year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

While there is some risk involved in him accepting arbitration, I would still do it under the present CBA (which does expire on my birthday this year, 12/11) and assuming that the same structure still exists (guess there's a possibility that it might go away - not a talking point for this thread, I would assume). If he accepts, then you move Hanigan and have Ramon share time with Mez (who I think is ready). If he doesn't accept, then we've got the draft pick (again assume that still exists). As for the possibility that there could be a gentleman's agreement to refuse it, keep in mind, as Samuel Goldwyn always said, "an oral contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on." [which I once referenced in a written statement I made to the Interstate Commerce Commission and they mentioned it in a footnote in their decision - my only claim to any posterity in the Congressional Record!]
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd offer him arbitration. The Ms got Taijuan Walker as a supplemental pick for losing Beltre. It's worth the risk IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If he does accept arbitration is there anything that keeps us from trading him before the season begins?

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    I'm going to base my vote of "yes" on the assumption that they have a handshake agreement with Ramon to offer arb and he'll turn it down.
    How does it benefit a Type A free agent to have such an agreement with his "former" team? Teams may not offer a player as much money because they will be losing a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. There are often fewer suitors which also drives down the total value of the contract. It also hurts the player's "new" team by taking away a valuable draft pick and gives it to the team that no longer wants him. Some players even include a clause in their contract that states that the team is not allowed to offer arbitration, because they know it could affect their future contract offers. I just don't see why a Type A player would agree to decline arbitration when it only hurts themselves.

I'd offer him arbitration. The Ms got Taijuan Walker as a supplemental pick for losing Beltre. It's worth the risk IMHO.
    Agreed. They can always trade Hanigan if they're stuck with Ramon. My guess is that he would not accept -- he knows Mesoraco is going to play, and that should be incentive enough to seek greener pastures.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think they will, but I wouldn't. If they do, I think he's a Red next year.
    I would have to agree. If he turned down arbitration, I can't see any team signing him knowing that they'd lose draft picks.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I can't see any team signing him knowing that they'd lose draft picks.
    Even if the system stays the way it's been for this offseason, half of the teams in MLB would not lose any picks for signing Hernandez.

And it sounds like the system might change enough that no teams would lose picks. We'll know soon.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

It looks like Ramon is the only type A free agent catcher.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/c
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see them take the chance and offer arb. But they don't seem to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Even if the system stays the way it's been for this offseason, half of the teams in MLB would not lose any picks for signing Hernandez.
    How is that so? The top 15 picks are protected, but the team would then lose a 2nd round pick if they sign a Type A Free Agent.

Turn Off Ads?